This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injector Cone Angle and NTP on Performance and Emissions of BS6 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The combustion phenomenon of diesel engines has got a very major impact on the performance and exhaust emission levels. Several important factors like engine components design, combustion chamber design, Exhaust gas recirculation, exhaust after treatments systems, engine operating parameters etc. decide the quality of combustion. The role of fuel injector is crucial on achieving the desired engine performance and emissions. Efficient combustion depends on the quantity of fuel injected, penetration, atomization and optimum timing of injection. The nozzle through flow, cone angle, no of sprays and nozzle tip penetration are the factors which lead to the selection of perfect injector for a given engine. This paper focusses on the selection of the best fit injector suiting the BS6 application on evaluating the performance and emission characteristics. Injectors used were with varying cone angles and NTP. The nozzle tip protrusion of the injectors were varied by changing the sealing washer thickness. With all the above injector configurations, the performance and emission were thoroughly analysed at every level. Final confirmation of the configuration was selected based on the Power & Torque, Fuel consumption, smoke, exhaust temperatures.
CitationMuthusamy, A., Shangar Ramani, V., and Sinha, P., "Effect of Injector Cone Angle and NTP on Performance and Emissions of BS6 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0108, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0108.
- Kurtz, E.M. and Styron, J. , “An Assessment of Two Piston Bowl Concepts in a Medium-Duty Diesel Engine,” Ford Motor Co.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw Hill, 1988).
- Brusiania, F. and Falfaria, S. , “Piero Pellonia Influence of the Diesel Injector Hole Geometry on the Flow Conditions Emerging from the Nozzle,” in 68th Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, ATI2013.
- Pirooz, A. , “Effects of Injector Nozzle Geometry on Spray Characteristics,” An Analysis, University of Birmingham, Amirkabir University of Technology.
- “Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure and Spray Cone Angle in DI Diesel Engine Using Converge CFD Code.”
- Kitasei, T., Yamada, J., Shoji, T., Shiino, S. and Mori, K. , “Influence of the Different Fuel Spray Wall Impingement Angles on Smoke Emission in a DI-Diesel Engine,” Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corp.
- Siewert, R.M. , “Spray Angle and Rail Pressure Study for Low NOx Diesel Combustion,” General Motors R&D Center.