This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical and Metallurgical Analysis of HSLA Steel for Gas Tungsten Arc Welding with Different Shielding Gases
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The special designed HSLA (High Speed Low Alloy) Steel is most commonly used in Naval Steel Structures and aircraft structures due to its indigenous properties. The aim of this paper is used to investigate the effect of shielding gases in the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding process. DMR 249A [HSLA] plates were welded by GTAW by using helium and argon as shielding gas with a flow rate of 16 L/min, the interpass temperature is 140 degree Celsius and the heat input is less than 1.2KJ/min where the impact toughness, Tensile and micro hardness was studied with different shielding gas and the metallurgical properties were analysed in the base metal, heat affected zones and weld zones. A detailed study has been carried out to analyze the elements using Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) analysis. The properties of the high speed low alloy steel carried out reveals a better mechanical properties suitable in naval applications.
CitationGurusamy, D., Ranganathan, S., Murthy, P., Ramakrishnan, S. et al., "Mechanical and Metallurgical Analysis of HSLA Steel for Gas Tungsten Arc Welding with Different Shielding Gases," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0069, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0069.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Jena, P.K., Kumar, K.S., and Singh, A.K. , “Effect of Tempering Temperature on Microstructure, Texture and Mechanical Properties of a High Strength Steel,” International Journal of Manufacturing, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering 4(3):33-49, doi:10.4018/ijmmme.2014070102.
- Vinoth Jebaraj, A., Ajaykumar, L., Deepak, C.R., and Aditya, K.V.V. , “Weldability, Machinability and Surfacing of Commercial Duplex Stainless Steel AISI2205 for Marine Applications - A Recent Review,” J Adv Res. 8(3):183-199, May 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jare.2017.01.002.
- Sathiya, P., Aravindan, S., Soundararajan, R., and Noorul Haq, A. , “Effect of Shielding Gases on Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Duplex Stainless - Steel Welds,” Journal of Material Science 44:114-121, 2009, doi:10.1007/s10853-008-3098-8.
- Kumar, K.G., Ramkumar, K.D., and Arivazhagan, N. , “Characterization of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties on the Multi-Pass Welding of Inconel 625 and AISI 316L,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 29(3):1039-1047, 2015, doi:10.1007/s12206-014-1112-4.
- Panmani, R., Vasudevan, M., Jayakumar, T., Vasantharaja, P. et al. , “Numerical Simulation and Experimental Validation of Arc Welding of DMR-249A Steel,” Defence Technology 12(305), 2016, doi:10.1016/j.dt.2016.01.012.
- Pamnani, R., Vasudevan, M., Vasantharaja, P., and Jayakumar, T. , “Optimization of A-GTAW Welding Parameters for Naval Steel (DMR 249A) by Design of Experiments Approach,” Research Article, doi:10.1177/1464420715596455.
- Ragunathan, S., Balasubramanian, V., Malarvizhi, S., and Rao, A.G. , “Effect of Welding Processes on Mechanical and Microstructural Characteristics of High Strength Low Alloy Naval Grade Steel Joints,” Defence Technology 11:308-317, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.dt.2015.06.001.
- Haribalaji, V., Boopathi, S., and Balamurugan, S. , “Effect of Welding Processes on Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA) Steel Joints” International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research, 2(1):170-179, Nov. 2014, ISSN 2351-8014.
- Alipooramirabad, H., Ghomashchi, R., Paradowska, A., and Reid, M. , “Residual Stress - Microstructure - Mechanical Property Interrelationships in Multipass HSLA Steel Welds,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 231:456-467, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2016.01.020.
- Girish, J. and Chauhan, B.J. , “Effect of Shielding Gases on Austenitic Stainless Steel Overlay by FCAW Process on Low Alloy Steel,” International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) 4 (1), Jan. 2015, ISSN (Online): 2319-7064, Index Copernicus Value 2013: 6.14.
- Rao, Z.H., Liao, S.M., and Tsai, H.L. , “Effects of Shielding Gas Compositions on Arc Plasma and Metal Transfer in Gas Metal Arc Welding,” Journal of Applied Physics 107:044902, 2010, doi:10.1063/1.3291121.
- Bhattacharya, A., Bera, T.K., and Kumar, V. , “Suri Effect of Process Parameters on Toughness and Metallurgical Behaviour during Uniaxial Automatic Gas Metal Arc Welding of Austenitic Stainless,” Research Article, doi:10.1177/1464420715586823.
- Kurtulmus, M., Yukler, A.İ., Bilici, M.K., and Catalgol, Z. , “Effects of Welding Current and Arc Voltage on FCAW Weld Bead Geometry,” International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology 04(09), Sept. 2015, eISSN:2319-1163, pISSN:2321-7308.
- Kutelu, B.J., Seidu, S.O., Eghabor, G.I., and Ibitoye, A.I. , “Review of GTAW Welding Parameters,” Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering 6:541-554, Aug. 31, 2018, doi:10.4236/jmmce.2018.65039.
- Poulose, N., Sanjeev Kumar, R., Prabakaran, M.P., and Rajkumar, R. , “Investigation of Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of GTAW on Dissimilar Metals,” International Journal of Applied Research 1(7):97-99, 2015.
- Mohan Kumar, S. and Shanmugam, N.S. , “Studies on the Weldability, Mechanical Properties and Microstructural Characterization of Activated Flux TIG Welding of AISI 321 Austenitic Stainless Steel,” Materials Research Express 5(10), Aug. 31, 2018.