This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Corrosion Characteristics on Friction Stir Welding of Dissimilar AA2014/AA6061 Alloy for Automobile Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Friction Stir Welding (FSW) is a widely used solid state welding process in which its heats metal to the below recrystallization temperature due to frictional force. FSW mostly avoids welding defects like hot cracking and porosity which are mainly occur in conventional welding techniques. In this process the combination of frictional force and the mechanical work provide heating the base metal to get defect free weld joints. Aluminium Alloys 2014 and 6061 are generally used in a wide range of automobile applications like Engine valves and tie rod, shipbuilding, and aerospace due to their high corrosion resistance, lightweight, and good mechanical properties. In the present work, aluminium alloys of AA6061 and AA2014 were effectively welded by friction stir welding technique. The tool rotational speed, travel speed, and tool profile are the important parameters in FSW process. High Speed Steel (HSS) tool with Hexagonal profile is used for this joining. The tool rotational speed is varied form 700, 1000 and 1400 rpm and the travel speed is varied from 25, 30 and 50 mm/min. From the experimental results the open circuit potential is drastically reduced at 1400 rpm tool rotational speed and the TAFEL plot is also decreased with the same rotational speed and 50 mm/min travel speed.
CitationRajamurugan, G., Deepankumar, S., Ramakrishnan, A., Krishnasamy, P. et al., "Corrosion Characteristics on Friction Stir Welding of Dissimilar AA2014/AA6061 Alloy for Automobile Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0063, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0063.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Sivachidambaram, S., Rajamurugan, G., and Amirtharaj, D. , “Effect of Process Parameter on Toughness and Microstructural Characteristics of Friction Stir Welded AA7075-AA5383 Butt Joint,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 10(62):155-159, 2015.
- Guvenipeakoglu, S.E. and Cam, G. , “Effect of Temper Condition and Post Weld Heat Treatment on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Friction Stir Butt-Welded AA7075 Al Alloy Plates,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing 70(1):1-4, 2014.
- Vijayakuma, P., Madhusudan reddy, G., and Srinivasarao, K. , “Effect of Post Weld Heat Treatments on Mechanical and Stress Corrosion Cracking Behavior of AA7075 Friction Stir Welds,” International Journals of u-and e-Service 7(4), 2014.
- Narsu, R. and Rani, I. , “An Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Variation of Tool Geometry and Optimization of Process Parameters on Friction Stir Welded Aluminium Alloys,” International Journal Research in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering 1(7), 2013.
- Sivachidambaram, S., Rajamurugan, G., and Amirtharaj, D. , “Optimizing the Parameters for Friction Stir Welding of Dissimilar Aluminium Alloys AA5383/AA7075,” ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 10(12):5434-5437, 2015.
- Balasubramanian, V., Muralidharan, C., and Rajakumar, S. , “Predicting Tensile Strength, Hardness and Corrosion Rate of Friction Stir Welded AA6061-T6 Aluminium Alloy Joints,” Materials & Design 32(5):2878-2890, 2011.
- Singh, G., Mittal, G., and Bhadhan, D. , “Study the Effect of Tensile Strength in Single Sided Friction Stir Welding on AA6063 Aluminium Alloy,” International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology 9, 2016.
- Fujii, H., Cui, L., Maeda, M., and Nogi, K. , “Effect of Tool Shape on Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Friction Stir Welded Aluminum Alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 419(1-2):25-31, 2006.
- Singh, H., Verma, M., Sidhu, H.S., and Singh, D. , “Experimental Investigation for Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy Al 6061 Considering Different Parameters of FSW,” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 3(2):635-641, 2016.