This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in Laser Welding of Stainless Steel Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
As a fusion welding process, Laser welding has proven to be the most promising method for joining of different materials whether it can be either a similar or dissimilar material category. However, few complications still remain unanswered in joining of materials by laser process after successful implementation of laser’s by industries and also the commercial users in previous year’s such as workpiece preparation, fixture issues, atmospheric conditions, nozzle focus on the material, etc., This article will give an elaborate survey on joining of stainless steel alloys, though there are many factors to be considered here concentration is on the metallurgical behaviour and tensile properties of weldments joined by laser welding technique, because the main criteria for a weldment is to have a coarse grain boundary distribution which may be distorted due to high heat generation during a joining process and to possess good tensile strength in order to withstand the impacts given on the weldment when it is being practically deployed in usage. The material behavior of weldment is primarily based on the process parameters like laser power, laser frequency, feed rate, travel time, nozzle angle. So, it is clearly revealed from previous researches that a better bonding of any material similar/dissimilar by any welding process can be achieved with proper control of process parameters based on the material and type of welding process chosen. Hence, this paper will provide a complete study on stainless steel materials and also further recommendations to enhance the property of a weldment. Therefore this article will be a solution for industries and researchers for further improvement in laser welding domain.
CitationArulvizhi, V., Alandur Somasundaram, S., Niyaz, M., Ranganathan, P. et al., "Advances in Laser Welding of Stainless Steel Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0056, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0056.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- “ELGA Stainless Steel Technical Handbook,” 2016.
- Budinski, K.G. and Budinski, M.K. , Engineering Materials: Properties and Selection 9th Edition (Pearson Education, Inc., 2010), 433-531.
- “An Introduction to Stainless Steels,” ASM International, Alloy Digest Sourcebook: Stainless Steels (#06940G), 2000.
- “The Atlas Steels Technical Handbook of Stainless Steels,” Copyright © Atlas Steels Revised: Produced by Atlas Steels Technical, August 2013.
- “ASM Handbook,” Vol. 1, Properties, and Selection: Irons, Steels, and High-Performance Alloys Section: Specialty Steels and Heat-Resistant Alloys, September 2005.
- Warren, D. , “Hydrogen Effects on Steel,” in Process Industries Corrosion, National Association of Corrosion Engineers, 1986, 21-30.
- Davis, J.R. , “Davis & Associates, Selection of Wrought Martensitic Stainless Steels,” ASM Handbook 6:1111-1120, 1993.
- Kotecki, D.J. , Welding of Stainless Steels, The Lincoln Electric Company, ASM Handbook, Vol. 6, 1993, 1670-1744.
- Mazumder, J. , “Laser-Beam Welding, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,” . In: ASM Handbook. Vol. 6. (1993), 755-762.
- Schaeffler, A.L. , “Constitution Diagram for Stainless Steel Weld Metal,” Met. Prog. 56(11):680-680B, 1949.
- Kuryntsev, S.V. , “The Influence of Pre-Heat Treatment on Laser Welding of T-Joints of Workpieces Made of Selective Laser Melting Steel and Cold Rolled Stainless Steel,” Optics and Laser Technology 107:59-66, 2018.
- Prabakaran, M.P. and Kannan, G.R. , “Optimization of Laser Welding Process Parameters in the Dissimilar Joint of Stainless Steel AISI316/AISI1018 Low Carbon Steel to Attain the Maximum Level of Mechanical Properties through PWHT,” Optics and Laser Technology 112:314-322, 2019.
- Moradia, M., Arabia, H., Nasaba, S.J., and Benyounisc, K.Y. , “A Comparative Study of Laser Surface Hardening of AISI 410 and 420 Martensitic Stainless Steels by Using Diode Laser,” Optics and Laser Technology 111:347-357, 2019.
- Wu, W., Hu, S., and Shen, J. , “Microstructure, Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Behavior of Laser Welded Dissimilar Joints between Ferritic Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel,” Materials and Design, 2014.
- Berretta, J.R., Rossi, W., Neves, M., Almedia, I., and Junior, N. , “Pulsed Nd: YAG Laser Welding of AISI 304 to AISI 420 Stainless Steels,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 45:960-966, 2007.
- Casalino, G., Angelastro, A., Perulli, P., Casavola, C., and Moramarco, V. , “Study on the Fiber Laser/TIG Weldability of AISI 304 and AISI 410 Dissimilar Weld,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 35:216-225, 2018.
- Marashi, P., Pouranvari, M., Amirabdollahian, S., Abedi, A., and Goodarzi, M. , “Microstructure and Failure Behavior of Dissimilar Resistance Spot Welds between Low Carbon Galvanized and Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 480:175-180, 2008.
- Reza Esfahani, J. and Marimuthu, C.S. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a Laser Welded Low Carbon-Stainless Steel Joint,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2014.
- Hao, K.D., Zhang, C., Zeng, X.Y., and Gao, M. , “Effect of Heat Input on Weld Microstructure and Toughness of Laser-Arc Hybrid Welding of Martensitic Stainless Steel,” J. Mater. Process. Technol 245:7-14, 2017.
- Pramanik, A., Littlefair, G., and Basak, A.K. , “Weldability of Duplex Stainless Steel,” Mater Manufacturing Process 30(9):1053-1068, 2015.
- Yan, F., Wang, X., Chai, F., Ma, H. et al. , “Improvement of Microstructure and Performance for Steel/Al Welds Produced by Magnetic Field-Assisted Laser Welding,” Optics and Laser Technology 113:164-170, 2019.
- Yazdian, N., Mohammadpour, M., Kong, F., and Kovacevic, R. , “Hybrid Laser/Arc Girth Welding of 304L Stainless Steel Tubes, Part 1 - Pore Mitigation,” Thermal Analysis, and Mechanical Properties, 2018.
- Chen, A.Y., Jia, Y.Q., Pan, D., Li, X., and Lu, J. , “Reinforcement of Laser-Welded Stainless Steels by Surface Mechanical Attrition Treatment,” Materials Science & Engineering A 571:161-166, 2013.
- Kartik, B., Veerababu, R., Sundararaman, M., and Satyanarayana, D.V.V. , “Effect of High-Temperature Aging on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a Nickel Free High Nitrogen Austenitic Stainless Steel,” Mater. Sci. Eng., A 642:288-296, 2015.
- Saravanan, S., Raghukandan, K., and Sivagurumanikandan, N. , “Pulsed Nd: YAG Laser Welding and Subsequent Post-Weld Heat Treatment on Super Duplex Stainless Steel,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 25:284-289, 2017.
- Hao, K., Gao, M., Zhang, C., Wu, R., and Zeng, X. , “Cold-Rolling Performance of Non-Equilibrium Martensitic Stainless Steel Produced by Laser-Arc Hybrid Welding,” Journal of Materials Processing Tech 267:359-365, 2019.
- Yang, J., Li, Y.-l., and Zhang, H. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Pulsed Laser Welded Al/Steel Dissimilar Joint,” Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China 26:994-1002, 2016.
- Sivagurumanikandana, S., Saravanan, G., Shanthos Kumara, S., and Rajua, K.R. , “Prediction and Optimization of Process Parameters to Enhance the Tensile Strength of Nd: YAG Laser Welded Super Duplex Stainless Steel,” Optics 157:833-840, 2018.
- Zhang, Y., Sun, D.Q., Gun, X.Y., and Li, H.M. , “A Hybrid Joint Based on Two Kinds of Bonding Mechanisms for Titanium Alloy and Stainless Steel by Pulsed Laser Welding,” Materials Letters 185:152-155, 2016.
- Meng, Y., Li, X., Gao, M., and Zeng, X. , “Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Laser-Arc Hybrid Welded Dissimilar Pure Copper to Stainless Steel,” Optics and Laser Technology 111:140-145, 2019.
- Chen, S., Zhang, M., Huang, J., Cui, C. et al. , “Microstructures and Mechanical Property of Laser Butt Welding of Titanium Alloy to Stainless Steel,” Materials and Design 53:504-511, 2014.
- Lin, Y.C. and Chen, S.C. , “Effect of Residual Stress on Thermal Fatigue in Type 420 Martensitic Stainless Steel Weldment,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 138:22-27, 2003.
- El-Batahgy, A.M. , “Effect of Laser Welding Parameters on Fusion Zone Shape and Solidification Structure of Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Mater. Lett. 32:155-163, 1997.
- Chen, Z., Yang, S., Wang, C., Hu, X. et al. , “A Study of Fiber Laser Welding of Galvanized Steel Using a Suction Method,” J. Mater. Process. Technol 214(7):1456-1465, 2014.
- Mirakhorli, F., Ghaini, M.F., and Torkamany, M.J. , “Development of Weld Metal Microstructures in Pulsed Laser Welding of Duplex Stainless Steel,” J. Mater. Eng. Perform 21(10):2173-2176, 2012.
- Mousavi, S.A.A.A. and Sufizadeh, A.R. , “Metallurgical Investigations of Pulsed Nd: YAG Laser Welding of AISI 321 and AISI 630 Stainless Steels,” Mater. Des 30:3150-3157, 2009.
- Bala Srinivasan, P., Muthupandi, V., Dietzel, W., and Sivan, V. , “An Assessment of Impact Strength and Corrosion Behavior of Shielded Metal Arc Welded Dissimilar Weldments between UNS 31803 and IS 2062 Steels,” Mater Des 27:182-191, 2006.
- Jafarzadegana, M., Feng, A.H., Abdollah-zadeha, T., Saeidc, J., and Shenb, H.A. , “Microstructural Characterization in Dissimilar Friction Stir Welding between 304 Stainless Steel and st37 Steel,” Mater Charact 74:28-41, 2012.
- Cui, C.Y., Cui, X.G., Ren, X.D., Liu, T.T. et al. , “Microstructure and Microhardness of Fiber Laser Butt Welded Joint of Stainless Steel Plates,” Materials & Design 49:761-765, August 2013.
- Khan, M.M.A., Romoli, L., Ishak, R., Fiaschi, M. et al. , “Experimental Investigation on Seam Geometry, Microstructure Evolution and Microhardness Profile of Laser Welded Martensitic Stainless Steels,” Optics & Laser Technology 44:1611-1619, 2012.
- Khan, M.M.A., Romoli, L., and Dini, G. , “Laser Beam Welding of Dissimilar Ferritic/Martensitic Stainless Steels in a Butt Joint Configuration,” Optics & Laser Technology 49:125-136, 2013.
- Manugula, V.L., Rajulapati, K.V., Reddy, G.M., and Rao, K.B.S. , “Role of Evolving Microstructure on the Mechanical Properties of Electron Beam Welded Ferritic-Martensitic Steel in the As-Welded and Post Weld Heat Treated States,” Mater. Sci. Eng., A 698:36-45, 2017.
- Saravanan, S., Raghukandan, K., and Sivagurumanikandan, N. , “Studies on Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Laser Welded Dissimilar Grade Steels,” J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. 39:3491-3498, 2017.
- Li, L., Tan, C., Chen, Y., Guo, W., and Song, F. , “Comparative Study on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Laser Welded-Brazed mg/Mild Steel and mg/Stainless Steel Joints,” Materials and Design 43:59-65, 2013.
- Baghjari, S.H. and Mousavi Akbari, S.A.A. , “Effects of Pulsed Nd: YAG Laser Welding Parameters and Subsequent Post-Weld Heat Treatment on Microstructure and Hardness of AISI 420 Stainless Steel,” Materials and Design 43:1-9, 2013.
- Krysiak, K.F., Grubb, J.F., Pollard, B., and Campbell, R.D. , “Selection of Wrought Ferritic Stainless Steels,” ASM Handbook, Vol. 6, 1993, 1145-1170.
- Gao, M., Chen, C., and Wang, L. , Scr. Mater 46:2008-2020, 2015.
- Metals Handbook, 10th Ed. Vol. 1 (Materials Park, OH: ASM International Handbook Committee., ASM International, 1990).
- Harvey, P.D. , editor, Engineering Properties of Steels (Metals Park, OH: American Society for Metals, 1982).
- Properties and Selection: Non Ferrous Alloys and Special Purpose Materials 10th Edition. Vol. 2 (ASM International, 1990).
- Metals Handbook Desk Edition (ASM International Handbook Committee, 1998).