This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling and Validation of a Control Algorithm for Yaw Stability & Body Slip Control Using PID & Fuzzy Logic Based Controllers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) are becoming an essential part of the modern commercial automobile industry. Vehicle handling and stability are determined by the yaw rate and body slip of the vehicle. This paper is a comparative study of a nonlinear vehicle stability control algorithms for steering control based on two different controllers i.e. fuzzy logic based controller and PID controller. A full vehicle 14DOF model was made in Simulink to simulate an actual vehicle. The control algorithms are based on a two-track 7-DOF model with a non-linear tire model based on Pacejka “Magic tire formula”, which was used to establish the desired response of a full vehicle 14DOF model. It was found that the fuzzy logic-based control algorithm demonstrated an overall superior performance characteristic than a PID based control algorithm; this includes a significant decrease in time lag and overshoot. The proposed control algorithms were validated through the co-simulation of Carsim and Simulink in real time.
CitationLath, U., Kakkar, S., Agarwal, A., Ashok, B. et al., "Modelling and Validation of a Control Algorithm for Yaw Stability & Body Slip Control Using PID & Fuzzy Logic Based Controllers," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0054, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0054.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Manning, W.J. and Crolla, D.A. , “A Review of Yaw Rate and Sideslip Controllers for Passenger Vehicles,” Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control 29(2):117-135, 2007.
- Feng, J., Bao, C., Wu, J., Cheng, S. et al. , “Research on Methods of Active Steering Control Based on Receding Horizon Control,” Energies, 2018, doi:11.2243.10.3390/en11092243.
- Lacroix, B., Liu, Z., and Seers, P. , “A Comparison of Two Control Methods for Vehicle Stability Control by Direct Yaw Moment,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 120:203-217, 2012.
- Ha, H., Kim, J., Chung, S. et al. , “Advanced VDC Simulations of In-Wheel Electric Vehicle Using Carsim and Simulink,” World Electric Vehicle Journal 6:2032-6653, 2010.
- Doumiati, M., Sename, O., Molina, J.J.M., Dugard, L. et al. , Vehicle Yaw Control via Coordinated Use of Steering/Braking Systems, in 18th IFAC World Congress (IFAC WC 2011), Aug. 2011, Milan, Italy. Preprints of the 18th IFAC World Congress, 644-649, 2011.
- Zhou, H. and Liu, Z. , “Vehicle Yaw Stability-Control System Design Based on Sliding Mode and Back Stepping Control Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 59(7):3674-3678, 2010.
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control Second Edition (), doi:10.1007/978-1-4614-1433-9.
- Wong, J.Y. , Theory of Ground Vehicles Third Edition (). ISBN:0-47-35461-9.
- Aripin, M.K., Sam, Y.M., Danapalasingam, K.A. et al. , “A Review of Active Yaw Control System for Vehicle Handling and Stability Enhancement,” International Journal of Vehicular Technology, June 2014.
- Fachrudin, I.R. and Sutantra, N. , “Model and Simulation of Vehicle Lateral Stability Control,” in 2nd APTECS 2010, International Seminar on Applied Technology, Science, and Arts, Dec. 21-22, 2010.
- Safarudin, M., Setiawan, J., and Sihombing, H. , “Vehicle Active Roll Control Using Roll Moment Rejection Algorithm,” STROJNICKY CASOPIS 61:301-322, 2010.
- Sulaiman, S., Samin, P.M., Jamaluddin, H., Rahman, R.A. et al. , “Modeling and Validation of 7-DOF Ride Model for Heavy Vehicle,” in International Conference on Automotive, Mechanical and Materials Engineering (ICAMME’2012), 2012.
- Aripin, M.K., Sam, Y.M., Danapalasingam, K.A. et al. , “A Review of Active Yaw Control System for Vehicle Handling and Stability Enhancement,” International Journal of Vehicular Technology, June 2014, doi:10.1155/2014/437515.
- Burhaumudin, M.S., Samin, P.M., Jamaluddin, H. et al. , “Modeling and Validation of Magic Formula Tire Model,” in International Conference on Automotive, Mechanical and Materials Engineering (ICAMME’2012), Penang, Malaysia, 2012.
- Krishna, S., Narayanan, S., Denis Ashok, S. et al. , “Control of Yaw Disturbance Using Fuzzy Logic Based Yaw Stability Controller,” International Journal of Vehicular Technology, 2014, Article ID 754218.
- Dao, T.-K., Chen, C.-K. et al. , “Tuning Fuzzy-Logic Controllers,” MICA Center, HUST - CNRS/UMI 2954 - Grenoble INP, Hanoi, Dayeh University, Changhua, Vietnam Taiwan.
- Li, Q., Shi, G., Lin, Y., Wei, J. et al. , “Yaw Rate Control of Active Front Steering Based on Fuzzy-Logic Controller,” in Second International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science, 2010.
- Li, B., Li, D., Yu, F. et al. , “Vehicle Yaw Stability Control Using the Fuzzy-Logic Controller,” IEEE, 1-4244-1266-8/07, 2007.