This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Attenuation of Aeroacoustic Noise of a Typical Van Using Passive Devices through CFD Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The present numerical analysis aims at studying the effect of changes in profile of van on aero-acoustic noise and aerodynamic drag. The numerical analysis is carried out using commercial CFD software, ANSYS Fluent, with k-epsilon & Large Eddy Simulation turbulence models. In present study five models of truck are analysed, including baseline model at different Reynolds numbers, namely 0.391, 0.415 and 0.457 million. In order to reduce the aero-acoustic noise, various profile modifications have been adapted on existing van model by adding a top and bottom diffuser at the rear of the truck. The comparison has been done with respect to coefficient of drag, coefficient of pressure, pressure contours for all four cases. It is observed from the simulation results among different modifications of truck, adding a top and bottom diffuser of 15 degrees at the rear end of truck gives the maximum reduction in aero-acoustic noise up to 9.4% and aerodynamic drag reduction of 3.8 % as compared to baseline model, at a speed of 81 km/h.
CitationManikandan, M., Senthilkumar, S., and Kannan, B., "Attenuation of Aeroacoustic Noise of a Typical Van Using Passive Devices through CFD Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0034, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0034.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Chilbule , C. , Upadhyay , A. , and Mukkamala , Y. Analyzing the Profile Modification of Truck-Trailer to Prune the Aerodynamic Drag and Its Repercussion on Fuel Consumption Procedia Eng. 97 1208 1219 2014
- Wood , R.M. and Bauer , S.X.S. Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks International Truck & Bus Meeting & Exhibition 2003 1 18
- Hwang , B.G. et al. Reduction of Drag in Heavy Vehicles with Two Different Types of Advanced Side Skirts J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn. 155 36 46 2016
- Mohamed-Kassim , Z. and Filippone , A. Fuel Savings on a Heavy Vehicle via Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Transp. Res. Part D Transp. Environ. 15 5 275 284 2010
- Pobedin , A.V. , Shekhovtsov , V.V. , and Dolotov , A.A. Computational Probabilistic Evaluation Of Passenger Cars Noise Level Procedia Eng. 206 1558 1563 2017
- Devesa , A. and Indinger , T. Fuel Consumption Reduction by Geometry Variations on a Generic Tractor-Trailer Configuration SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 18 28 2012 2012-01-0105
- Oettle , N. and Sims-Williams , D. Automotive Aeroacoustics: An Overview Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 231 9 1177 1189 2017
- Duncan , B.D. , Sengupta , R. , Mallick , S. , Shock , R. , and Sims-Williams , D.B. Numerical Simulation and Spectral Analysis of Pressure Fluctuations in Vehicle Aerodynamic Noise Generation SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0597 1 724 2010 10.4271/2002-01-0597
- Liu , H. , Wei , J. , and Qu , Z. Prediction of Aerodynamic Noise Reduction by Using Open-Cell Metal Foam J. Sound Vib. 331 7 1483 1497 2012
- Purohit , A. , Darpe , A.K. , and Singh , S.P. A Numerical Investigation on Effects of Structural Flexibility on Aerodynamic Far Field Sound Comput. Fluids 89 143 152 2014