This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Light Weight Hydraulic Connecting Rod for Agricultural Tractor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Hydraulic power train assembly of an agricultural tractor is meant to controls the position and draft of the implement depending upon the type of crop, farming stage, implement type and soil conditions. These variations induce extreme range of loads on the hydraulic system, thus making it challenging to design these components. Hydraulic connecting rod is critical component of hydraulic power train assembly. Standards like IS12224, IS4468 governs the design of hydraulic power train components which regulates the test method for hydraulic power and lift capacity of the tractor.
In this paper, a virtual simulation process has been established to design a hydraulic connecting rod to meet the requirements. The hydraulic connecting rod basically functions as a short load transferring link, which is subjected to the operating hydraulic pressure of the hydraulic lifting mechanism. The current circular connecting rod is higher in weight and cost. So, there is scope for optimizing the design of connecting rod. Virtual simulation has been done by performing (i) Multi body dynamics analysis (MBD) approach is used to predict the loads on Tractor Hydraulic assembly and (ii) Static structural analysis for the durability. In the initial stage of analysis, topology optimization study has been performed to get the feasible shape. From the results of Optimization approach, parametric analysis was performed and finalized the design. Optimized design with Cross Ribbed structure is having uniform strength in all directions and meets the Design criteria. The final Optimized model achieved 40% weight saving over current design. Cross Ribbed structure of hydraulic connecting rod is filed for patent.
CitationDumpa, M., Perumal, S., Redkar, D., Gomes, M. et al., "Design of Light Weight Hydraulic Connecting Rod for Agricultural Tractor," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0016, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0016.
- Shenoy, P.S. and Fatemi, A. , “Connecting Rod Optimization for Weight and Cost Reduction,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0987, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0987.
- Mirehei, A., Zadeh, H.M., Jafari, A., and Omid, M. , “Fatigue Analysis of Connecting Rod of Universal Tractor through Finite Element Method (ANSYS),” Journal of Agricultural Technology. 4(2):21-27, 2008.
- Hippliti, R. , “FEM Method for Design and Optimization of Connecting Rods for Small Two-Stroke Engines,” Small Eng Technol Conf 1993:217-231, 1993.
- Lee, M.K., Lee, H., Lee, T.S., and Jang, H. , “Buckling Sensitivity of a Connecting Rod to the Shank Sectional Area Reduction,” Materials and Design 31:2796-2803, 2010.
- Yang, R.J., Dewhirst, D.L., Allison, J.E., and Lee, A. , “Shape Optimization of Connecting Rod Pin End Using a Generic Model,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 11:257-264, 1992.
- Marra, M.P. , “Fatigue Testing a Powder Forged Connecting Rod,” Int J Fatigue 16(3):236, 1994.
- “Altair Hyper Works Help Manual and Tutorials.”
- Indian Standards (IS) , “Agricultural Wheeled Tractors - Rear-Mounted Three-Point Linkage,” IS 4468:1997.
- Patent Filed on “Tractor Hydraulic Assembly with Cross-Ribbed Connecting Rod,” Patent No: 201741019054.