This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Failure Analysis and Multi Frequency Swept Sine Testing of Automotive Engine Oil Sump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Automotive business is more focused towards delivering a highly durable and reliable product at an optimum cost. Anything falls short of customer expectation will ruin the manufacturer’s reputation. To exterminate this, all automotive components shall undergo stringent testing protocol during the design validation process. Nevertheless, there are certain factors in the field which cannot be captured during design validation. This paper aims at developing a validation methodology for engine oil sump by simulating field failure. In few of our vehicles, field failure was observed in engine oil sump near the drain plug location. Preliminary analysis was carried out to find the potential causes for failure. Based on the engine test bed results, multi frequency swept sine testing was carried out in laboratory. Field failure was simulated in the lab test and the root causes for failure were found out. After the design modification, new oil sump samples were validated and achieved an improved life over the earlier design.
CitationNarasimman, O., Mohan, R., Srinivasan, S., Lakshminarayanan, K. et al., "Failure Analysis and Multi Frequency Swept Sine Testing of Automotive Engine Oil Sump," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0354, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0354.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Guimaraes a, A.V. and Brasileiro, P.C., “Failure Analysis of a Half-Shaft of a Formula SAE Racing Car,” Case Studies in Engineering Failure Analysis 7:17-23, 2016.
- Vinay, N. and Rao, J.W., “Failure Analysis of Mixed Mode Crack Growth in Heavy Duty Truck Frame Rail,” Case Studies in Engineering Failure Analysis 5-6:67-74, 2016.
- Masrieraa, L. and Fernández, M., “Scientific Method Applied to Failure Analysis on Engineering Components,” Procedia Materials Science 8:117-127, 2015.
- Lee, Y.-L. and Pan, J., Fatigue Testing and Analysis (Theory and Practice) First Edition (Elsevier’s Science & Technology, 2005).
- Dodds Colin, J., Structural Testing of Complete Vehicles, Aggregates and Components in the Laboratory - The Test Engineer’s Handbook Second Edition (2012).
- “RPC Pro Tools Software Reference,” 2010 MTS Systems Corporation.
- Reilly, T., “Multi Frequency Swept Sine Testing for Automotive Durability Testing of Engine Mounted Components,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1658, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1658.
- Meeker, W.Q. and Escobar, L.A., “Pitfalls of Accelerated Testing,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability 47(2), 1998.