This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method for Prediction of Coffin Manson Parameters from Monotonic Tensile Property for Aluminium 6XXX Series Alloy to Predict Fatigue Life
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Light weighting is significant in for automotive industry as it helps in less fuel consumption and to achieve better performance. Aluminium is a candidate material for light weighting. To design a component made of aluminium material, it is necessary to understand the fatigue performance of the material. In this paper, a study is carried out to understand the fatigue performance of aluminium 6xxx series alloys at an early stage of design without carrying out comprehensive fatigue testing. Coffin Manson Parameters are used to predict fatigue life. This research focusses on determining the gaps in existing models for aluminium alloys by carrying out comprehensive review of various models developed for 6xxx series which uses monotonic tensile data. Two models are developed and the predicted fatigue properties for this class of material are further compared with experimental fatigue, monotonic data and literature. Scatter band is used to show the correlation between the predicted and actual value of fatigue properties. In reversals to failure, 90 % of the data falls within five times scatter band, and in strain amplitudes, 90 % of data falls within two times scatter band. The models thus shows excellent in predicting strain amplitudes for a given number of fatigue life.
CitationParasumanna, A., Ammu, V., Suman, S., and Saraf, M., "Method for Prediction of Coffin Manson Parameters from Monotonic Tensile Property for Aluminium 6XXX Series Alloy to Predict Fatigue Life," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0314, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0314.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Wernick, S. and Pinner, R.. "The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminium and Its Alloys, Including the Production of Aluminium Coatings for Protection." 1972.
- Basquin, O.H., “The Exponential Law of Endurance Tests,” Proc Am Soc Test Mater 10:625-630, 1910.
- Coffin, L.F. Jr., “A Study of the Effects of Cyclic Thermal Stresses on a Ductile Metal,” Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers 76:931-950, 1954.
- Manson, S.S. "Behavior of Materials under Conditions of Thermal Stress." 1954.
- Muralidharan, U. and Manson, S.S., “A Modified Universal Slopes Equation for Estimation of Fatigue Characteristics of Metals,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 110(1):55-58, 1988.
- Ong, J.H., “An Improved Technique for the Prediction of Axial Fatigue Life from Tensile Data,” International Journal of Fatigue 15(3):213-219, 1993.
- Baumel, A. Jr. and Seeger, T., Materials Data for Cyclic Loading. Supplement 1 (Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science Publishers, 1990).
- Mitchell, M.R., Fundamentals of Modern Fatigue Analysis for Design. Fatigue and Microstructure (Metals Park, OH: American Society for Metals, 1979).
- Park, J.-H. and Song, J.-H., “New Estimation Method of Fatigue Properties of Aluminium Alloys,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 125(2):208-214, 2003.
- Roessle, M.L. and Fatemi, A., “Strain-Controlled Fatigue Properties of Steels and Some Simple Approximations,” International Journal of Fatigue 22(6):495-511, 2000.
- Meggiolaro, M.A. and Castro, J.T.P., “Statistical Evaluation of Strain-Life Fatigue Crack Initiation Predictions,” International Journal of Fatigue 26(5):463-476, 2004.
- Chan, K.C. "A Practical Simulation Methodology to Improve Fatigue Life Prediction of Engine Oil Cooler Undergoing Pressure Cycle Testing." PhD diss., 2013.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), “Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials,” ASTM International, 2009.
- Park, J.-H. and Song, J.-H., “Detailed Evaluation of Methods for Estimation of Fatigue Properties,” International Journal of Fatigue 17(5):365-373, 1995.
- Handbook M., 9th edn., 2, ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1979, 90.
- Hussain, F., Abdullah, S., and Nuawi, M.Z., “Effect of Temperature on Fatigue Life Behaviour of Aluminium Alloy AA6061 Using an Analytical Approach,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences 10(3):2324-2335, 2016.
- Rahman, M.M., Kadirgama, K., Noor, M.M., Rejab, M.R.M. et al., “Fatigue Life Prediction of Lower Suspension Arm Using Strain-Life Approach,” European Journal of Scientific Research 30(3):437-450, 2009.
- McCullough, R.R.. "Microstructure-Sensitive Plasticity and Fatigue Modelling of Extruded 6061 Aluminium Alloys." PhD diss., University of Alabama Libraries, 2014.
- Wang, Y.-Y. and Yao, W.-X., “Evaluation and Comparison of Several Multiaxial Fatigue Criteria,” International Journal of Fatigue 26(1):17-25, 2004.
- Wong, Y.K., Hu, X.Z., and Norton, M.P., “Plastically Elastically Dominant Fatigue Interaction in 316L Stainless Steel and 6061-T6 Aluminium Alloy,” Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures 25(2):201-213, 2002.
- Ricotta, M., “Simple Expressions to Estimate the Manson-Coffin Curves of Ductile Cast Irons,” International Journal of Fatigue 78:38-45, 2015.
- Lipski, A. and Mroziński, S., “Approximate Determination of a Strain-Controlled Fatigue Life Curve for Aluminium Alloy Sheets,” Journal of Polish CIMAC 6(3):107-118, 2011.
- Radonovich, D. and Gordon, A.P., “Methods of Extrapolating Low Cycle Fatigue Data to High-Stress Amplitudes," in ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, 159-168. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2008.
- Halford, G. and Manson, S.S.. "A Method of Estimating High-Temperature Low Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of Materials," 1967.
- Abdulshafi, A.A. and Majidzadeh, K., “J-Integral and Cyclic Plasticity Approach to Fatigue and Fracture of Asphaltic Mixtures,” Transportation Research Record 1034:112-123, 1985.
- Saravana, M., Raghava, G., Vishnuvardhan, S., and Samuel Knight, G.M., "Evaluation of Cyclic Hardening Parameters for SA 312 Type 304LN Stainless Steel," in Proceedings of 6th ICTACEM, IIT Kharagpur, 2014.
- Borrego, L.P., Abreu, L.M., Costa, J.M., and Ferreira, J.M., “Analysis of Low Cycle Fatigue in AlMgSi Aluminium Alloys,” Engineering Failure Analysis 11(5):715-725, 2004.
- Zheng, M., Li, P., Yang, J., Li, H. et al., “Fatigue Life Prediction of High Modulus Asphalt Concrete Based on the Local Stress-Strain Method,” Applied Sciences 7(3):305, 2017.
- Kim, K.S., Chen, X., Han, C., and Lee, H.W., “Estimation Methods for Fatigue Properties of Steels under Axial and Torsional Loading,” International Journal of Fatigue 24(7):783-793, 2002.
- Korkmaz, S., “A Methodology to Predict the Fatigue Life of Cast Iron: Uniform Material Law for Cast Iron,” Journal of Iron and Steel Research, International 18(8):42-45, 2011.
- Conn, A.F., and Thiruvengadam, A., "Experimental Research on High-Frequency Fatigue and Dynamic Tensile Tests at Elevated Temperatures," 1969.
- Korkmaz, S., “Extension of the Uniform Material Law for High Strength Steels,” No. EPFL-STUDENT-148269, 2008.
- Derek, H., “Robust Model for Fatigue Life Estimation from Monotonic Properties Data for Steels,” Master’s thesis, University of Waterloo, 2013.
- Tartaglia, J., “Comparison of Monotonic and Cyclic Properties of Ductile Irons in the AFS/DOE Strain-Life Fatigue Database for Cast Iron,” International Journal of Metalcasting 6(2):7-22, 2012.