This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology Development for External Aerodynamic Evaluation of a Bus and Its Impact on Fuel Economy along with Experimental Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The objective of this study is to develop, demonstrate and validate the methodology of external aerodynamic analysis of a State Road Transport bus for prediction of drag coefficient and its impact on fuel consumption with experimental validation. It has been verified that vehicle consumes around 40% of the available engine power to overcome the air drag. This gives us a huge scope to study the effect of aerodynamic drag.
Baseline model of State Road Transport Bus was evaluated for estimating fuel consumption using Computational Fluid dynamics (CFD) methodology. The CFD results were validated with the experimental data with less than 10% deviation. Bus design was optimized with an objective of reducing the fuel consumption with parameters like angle of windshield, rounding and tapering corners and rear draft angle. Optimized bus design is also ensured to meet functional specifications as per AIS052. The prototype of the optimized bus design has been tested experimentally as per IS 11921: 1993 standard to estimate fuel consumption. The results obtained from CFD and experimental tests were analyzed and they were found to be in good agreement. With the optimized design of the bus, it is found that the fuel efficiency remains almost same though weight of the bus has been increased by around 1.5 ton.
CitationKanekar, S., Udawant, K., and Patwardhan, M., "Methodology Development for External Aerodynamic Evaluation of a Bus and Its Impact on Fuel Economy along with Experimental Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0294, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0294.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Hucho , W. Designing Cars for Low Drag - State of Art and Future Potential International Journal of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP 3, Impact of Aerodynamic on Vehicle Design 1 8 1983
- Rodrigues , A. , Gertz , L. , Cervieri , A. , and Telh , M. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Vehicle Minibus SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0327 2014 10.4271/2014-36-0327
- Kanekar , S. et al. Aerodynamic Study of State Transport Bus Using Computational Fluid Dynamics IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 263 062052 2017
- Patidar , A. , Gupta , U. , and Bansal , A. Fuel Efficiency Improvement of Commercial Vehicle by Investigating Drag Resistance SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2893 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2893
- Carr , G.W. Potential for Aerodynamic Drag Reduction in Car Design International Journal of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP 3, Impact of Aerodynamic on Vehicle Design 1983
- Roussillon , G. Aerodynamic Optimization of Peugeot VERA International Journal of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP 3, Impact of Aerodynamic on Vehicle Design 114 131 1983
- Drollinger , R. Heavy Duty Truck Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 870001 1987 10.4271/870001
- Roy , S. and Srinivasan , P. External Flow Analysis of a Truck for Drag Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3500 2000 10.4271/2000-01-3500
- Kim , I. and Shulze , R. A Rear Spoiler of a New Type that Reduces the Aerodynamic Forces on a Mini-Van SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1631 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1631
- Raveendran , A. , Sridhara , S. , Rakesh , D. , and Shankapal , S. Exterior Styling of Intercity Transport Bus for Improved Aerodynamic Performance SAE Technical Paper 2009-28-0060 2009 10.4271/2009-28-0060
- Sachin , T. and Amba Prasad , R.G. Computational Analysis of Intercity Bus with Improved Aesthetics and Aerodynamic Performance on Indian Roads IJAET 2 3 103 109 July-Sept. 2011
- Yang , C. , Bibeau , E. , and Zanetel , G. Fuel Consumption Simulation Model for Transit Buses Based on Real Operating Condition to Assist Bus Electrification SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0651 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0651
- Shekar , V. , ThuraiMoni , A. , Reddy , S. , and Cherukuri , A. A Holistic Approach to Aerodynamics of Intercity and Interurban Buses SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0581 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0581
- Tang , K. , He , L. , Zhao , Y. , and Friz , H. The Aerodynamic Development of a New Dongfeng Heavy Truck SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2886 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2886