This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating Thermal Characteristics of an Electric Vehicle Fuse Using Multiphysics Based on Finite Element Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Circuit protection fuses are an integral part in electric powertrain based automobiles such as Hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs)/Plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs)/Battery electric vehicle (BEVs) to protect the components under overcurrent situations. This paper describes the transient thermal characteristics of fuses used in such electric vehicles where thermal cycling related failures are of great concern. A robust and accurate three-dimensional multiphysics model has been developed for obtaining temperature response in fuse element by solving the electric potential equation and thermal diffusion equation. Experiments were also performed to validate the model within 5 degree Celsius accuracy for various operating currents and thermocouple locations. Using the validated model, a representative duty cycle relevant to electric vehicle was simulated to understand the thermal behavior. Various operating parameters and their effect on thermal performance is also discussed. The described findings and simulation methodology would enable the fuse design engineers to incorporate various thermal management strategies at product and system level considering the thermal cycling effects.
CitationSrikanth, R., Sirigineedi, G., Rajaram, P., and Douglass, R., "Simulating Thermal Characteristics of an Electric Vehicle Fuse Using Multiphysics Based on Finite Element Method," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0233, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0233.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Miller, J.M., “Propulsion Systems for Hybrid Vehicles,” Energy Engineering 334-335, 2010, doi:IET Digital Library, http://digital-library.theiet.org/content/books/po/pbrn007e.
- Gelet, J.-L., “Thermal Fatigue of Electrical Fuses,” MATEC Web of Conferences 12:04024, 2014, doi:10.1051/matecconf/20141204024.
- Agarwal, M.S., Stokes, A.D., and Kovitya, P., “Pre-arcing Behavior of Open Fuse Wire,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 20(10):1237-1242, 1987, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/20/10/005.
- Psomopoulos, C.S. and Karagiannopoulos, C.G., “Temperature Distribution of Fuse Elements during the Pre-Arcing Period,” Electric Power Systems Research 61(3):161-167, 2002, doi:10.1016/s0378-7796(02)00014-7.
- Bussière, W., “Electric Fuses Operation, a Review: 2. Arcing Period,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 29:012002, 2012, doi:10.1088/1757-899x/29/1/012002.
- Sasu, M. and Oarga, G., “Simulation of the Heat Transfer Phenomena in Variable Section Fusible Elements in Non-adiabatic Regime,” Archiv Für Elektrotechnik 75(6):425-431, 1992, doi:10.1007/bf01661818.
- Garrido, C. and Cidras, J., “A Method For Predicting Time-Current Characteristics of Fuselinks,” Electric Machines & Power Systems 26(7):685-698, 1998, doi:10.1080/07313569808955851.
- Rochette, D., Touzani, R., and Bussière, W., “Numerical Study of the Short Pre-arcing Time in High Breaking Capacity Fuses via an Enthalpy Formulation,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 40(15):4544-4551, 2007, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/40/15/026.
- Farahani, H.F., Asadi, M., and Kazemi, A., “Analysis of Thermal Behavior of Power System Fuse Using Finite Element Method,” 2010 4th International Power Engineering and Optimization Conference (PEOCO), 2010, doi:10.1109/peoco.2010.5559169.
- Memiaghe, S., Bussiere, W., and Rochette, D., “Numerical Method for Pre-Arcing Times: Application in HBC Fuses with Heavy Fault-Currents,” 2007 8th International Conference on Electric Fuses and Their Applications, 2007, doi:10.1109/icefa.2007.4419977.
- Chiriac, G., “Thermal Analysis of Fuses with Variable Cross-Section Fuselinks,” Electric Power Systems Research 92:73-80, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2012.06.010.
- Torres, E., Mazón, A.J., Fernández, E., Zamora, I. et al., “Thermal Performance of Back-Up Current-Limiting Fuses,” Electric Power Systems Research 80(12):1469-1476, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2010.06.010.
- Fernandez, E., Torres, E., Zamora, I., Mazon, A.J. et al., “Thermal Model for Current Limiting Fuses Installed in Vertical Position,” Electric Power Systems Research 107:167-174, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2013.10.004.
- Pleşca, A., “Numerical Thermal Analysis of Fuse Mounted on Fuse Holder,” Heat Transfer Engineering 36(18):1518-1524, 2015, doi:10.1080/01457632.2015.1024990.
- Pleşca, A., “High Breaking Capacity Fuses with Improved Cooling,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 70:144-153, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2013.03.023.
- “ANSYS, Version 17.1,” www.ansys.com.