This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comprehensive Investigation of Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS) Polymer for Weathering with the Combination of Different Blends of UV Stabilizers, HALS and Antioxidant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The use of polymers in automobiles is increasing constantly and this trend is expected to continue. This clearly indicates that polymer are choice of materials in all the application sectors including in Automobile sector. The main properties in selecting the plastics materials as compared to other materials applied in automobiles are the aesthetic of automotive vehicles, their functionality and cost effective solution, as well as fuel efficiency. These materials are offer remarkable range of appealing properties, the effect of climatic conditions on the degradation and performance of these materials is not fully understood. It is necessary to know the variation of the mechanical properties of any polymer component in automobile after exposed to different atmospheric conditions before particular application. Generally when these components are subjected to weathering effects, they are prone to underperform. Therefore to improve their properties over time, different kinds of UV stabilizers, Hindered amine light stabilizer (HALS) and Antioxidant are used. However there is a need to study which UV stabilizers is to be used for the automobile applications polymers and what are its percentages? In this context, it is proposed to carry out a comprehensive investigation on degradation due to weathering of ABS polymer with the combination of different percentages of UV stabilizers, HALS and antioxidant. This paper briefly explains the effects of the weathering on the behavioral change of ABS polymer mechanical properties which is most commonly used by in automobile manufacturer. It also briefs the methodology of accelerated weathering methods to help in evaluating the permanence of polymers components is also briefly discussed. The results after weathering and mechanical tests were discussed and optimized the percentage of blends as per the application.
CitationBelavadi Venkataramaiah, S., Mannikar, A., Shridhar, T., and Mohan Krishna, S., "Comprehensive Investigation of Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS) Polymer for Weathering with the Combination of Different Blends of UV Stabilizers, HALS and Antioxidant," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0169, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0169.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- N. , Mayne
- V. , Shah Handbook of Plastics Testing Technology Pomona, CA Performance Engineered Products, Inc
- Atlas Material Testing Solutions Weathering Testing Guidebook Atlas Electric Devices Company 2001
- G. , Wypych and W. , Andrew Hand Book of Material Weathering 1-895198-28-3
- D.V. , Rosato , D.V. , Rosato , and M.G. , Rosato Plastics Design Hand Book 978-0-7923-7980-5
- Rubber Hand Book Fourth Vanderbilt 9990566348
- J.E. , Pickett and V. , Umamaheswaran Highly Predictive Accelerated Weathering of Engineering Thermoplastics SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1192 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1192
- A. , Masini and P. , Feraboli Development of a Carbon/Epoxy Body for a High Performance Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1195 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1195
- M. , Carroll and J. , Scramlin Weathering of Black Plastics for Automotive Exteriors SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1191 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1191
- B. , Shamsundara and A. , Mannikar Study on Polymer Degradation due to Weathering and its Effect on Vehicle Safety SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0097 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0097
- W. , Shi , J. , Zhang , X.-M. , Shi , and G.-D. , Jiang Influence of UV Absorber on Photodegradation Processes of Poly(Vinyl Chloride) with Different Average Degrees of Polymerization Journal of Polymer Engineering Science, China 47 1480 1490 2007
- X. , Zhang , H. , Pi , and S. , Guo Photostabilizing Efficiency of Ultraviolet Light Stabilizers for Rigid Poly(Vinyl Chloride) against Photo-Oxidation Journal of Polymer Engineering Science, China 53 378 388 2012
- M.Y.A. , Younan , R. , Mohsen , I.M. , El-Hennawi , and M.A. , El-Rifai Effect of Stabilizer Type on Artificial Weathering of Rigid PVC Journal of Applied Polymer Science INC 30 5 1999 1200 May 1985
- J.B. , Adeniyi and E.G. , Kolawole Thermal and Photo-Degradation of Unstabilized ABS European Polymer Journal 20 1 43 47 1984
- R. , Ramani and C. , Ranganathaiah Degradation of Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene and Polycarbonate by UV Radiation Journal of Polymer Degradation and Stability 69 3 347 354 Sept. 1, 2000
- A. , Boldizar and K. , Moller Degradation of ABS during Repeated Processing and Accelerated Ageing Polymer Degradation and Stability 81 2 359 366 2003
- Atlas of Polymer and Plastics Analysis Carl Hanser Verlag 30446-12592-2
- R. , Hugi and H , Geva .
- Stretanski et al.
- M. , Hirose and K. , Nakamura Finescale Diurnal Rainfall Statistics Refined from Eight Years of TRMM PR Data J. Geophys. Res. 110 D05106 2005
- R. , Chokngamwong Thailand Daily Rainfall and Comparison with TRMM Products Journal of Hydrometeorology 9 256 266 2008
- ASTM G 26
- ASTM D 256
- ASTM D 638
- ASTM D 790
- ASTM D 2240