This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Manufacturing of Transmission Quill Gear by Sinter Hardening
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Transmission quill gears are hot forged steel parts often used in constant mesh manual transmissions. The quill gear, which helps to transmit the power from input drive shaft to output shaft through driving gears. It’s having external teeth which is positively engaged with driving gear and sleeve. During gear selection sleeve take load from input shaft and transmit to driven gear.
Quill gear directly engaged with driving gears on outer surface and bearing in inner surface which needs to have high strength and durability. These properties can be improved by carburization heat treatment in existing design such processes can lead to increased costs. We have developed quill gear through powder metallurgical process and then cooled rapidly in the furnace to get high strength and wear properties. Material composition are optimized to suit for sinter hardening process conditions. Thus, we have succeeded in the development of quill gears via sinter hardening, thus eliminating the forging and second hardening process. This paper will have detailed discussion on material chemical composition, sinter hardening process, mechanical and metallurgical properties comparison and validation results.
|Technical Paper||Automotive Applications for Magnesium Die Castings|
|Technical Paper||Achieving AGMA 10 Quality Level for Automotive Gear Applications|
CitationGunalan, M., Deshmukh, R., and Bane, U., "Manufacturing of Transmission Quill Gear by Sinter Hardening," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0165, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0165.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Brian James , W. What Is Sinter Hardening International Conference on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials Las Vegas, NV May 31-June 4 1998
- Haber Berger , T. , Hanejko , F. , and Baran , M. Advanced Processing of Sinter-Hardening Materials the International Conference on Powder 12 Metallurgy and Particulate Materials New Orleans May 13-17 2001
- Powder Metal Technologies and Applications 7 1998
- Rutz , H.G. , Graham , A.H. , and Davala , A.B. Sinter-Hardening P/M Steels International Conference on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials Chicago, IL June 29-July 2 1997
- Fillari , G. , Causton , R. , and Lawley , A.
- Marucci , M.L. , Fillari , G. , King , P. , and Narasimhan , K.S.