This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Refurbished and Repower: Second Life of Batteries from Electric Vehicles for Stationary Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Rising environmental concerns and depleting natural resources have resulted in faster adoption of green technologies. These technologies are pushed by the government of states through certain schemes and policies as to make the orbit shift ensuring greener environment in near future. Major actions can be easily seen in transportation sector. Hybrid Electric Vehicle (EV), EV and Fuel cell EV are being deployed on roads rapidly but even though some challenges are still unsolved such as battery cost, fast charging and life cycle of the automotive battery. Automotive batteries (Lithium ions) are declared as unfit for automotive usage after the loss of 20% to 15% of their initial capacity. Still 80% to 85% of battery capacity can be utilized in stationary applications other than automotive. Stationary application doesn’t demand high current density or energy density from the battery pack as of automotive requirements. This paper discuss about the methods that needs to be followed while refurbishing of used battery pack for second life which can be used in various application. An economic analysis of second life battery, which gives idea of it’s competitiveness with other energy storage methods in same applications. This paper identifies some of the challenges which will act as the hurdles for the deployment of the used automotive batteries in different applications. The paper also suggests some policies which can be adopted by the government which will speed up the process of second life use of battery. Second life use of battery will also bring down the cost of automotive battery upfront and will also take care of the recycling of elements of battery pack.
|Technical Paper||The Prospects for Hybrid Electric Vehicles, 2005-2020: Results of a Delphi Study|
|Technical Paper||Modeling and Validation of a Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Plug-In HEV Roadmap to Hydrogen Economy|
CitationSanghai, B., Sharma, D., Baidya, K., and Raja, M., "Refurbished and Repower: Second Life of Batteries from Electric Vehicles for Stationary Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0156, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0156.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Department of Heavy Industry, Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, “National Electric Mobility Mission Plan 2020,” Government of India.
- Anderman, M., “Assessing the Future of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles: The xEV Industry Insider Report,” Advanced Automotive Batteries.
- Young, K., Wang, C., Yi Wang, L., and Strunz, K., “Electric Vehicle Battery Technologies,” Electric Vehicle Integration into Modern Power Networks
- Dinger, A., Martin, R., Mosquet, X., Rabl, M. et al., “Batteries for Electric Cars Challenges, Opportunities, and the Outlook to 2020,” Boston Consulting Group, Inc., 2010.
- Casals, L.C. and Amante García, B., “Assessing Electric Vehicles Battery Second Life Remanufacture and Management,” Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain.
- Pop, V., Bergveld, H.J., Danilov, D., Paul P.L. et al., “Battery Management Systems Accurate State-of-Charge Indication for Battery-Powered Applications.”
- Samuel Pelletier, A., Ola Jabali, A., Laportea, G., and Veneroni, M., “Battery Degradation and Behaviour for Electric Vehicles: Review and Numerical Analyses of Several Models,” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 103:1-30, 2017.
- Leng, Y., Ge, S., Marple, D., Yang, X.-G. et al., “Electrochemical Cycle-Life Characterization of High Energy Lithium-Ion Cells with Thick Li(Ni0.6Mn0.2Co0.2)O2 and Graphite Electrodes,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 164(6):A1037-A1049, 2017.
- Haoliang, L., Yicheng, S., Bo, L., and Junqian, Z., “Effects of Stress Dependent Electrochemical Reaction on Voltage Hysteresis of Lithium Ion Batteries,” Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, doi:10.1007/s10483-018-2373-8.
- Koniak, M. and Czerepicki, A., “Selection of the Battery Pack Parameters for an Electric Vehicle Based on Performance Requirements,” IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 211:012005, 2017, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/211/1/012005.
- Wood, E., Alexander, M., and Bradley, T.H., “Investigation of Battery End-of-Life Conditions for Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 11(1):5147-5154, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.02.025.
- Saxenaa, S., Le Floch, C., MacDonald, J., and Mourab, S., “Quantifying EV Battery End-of-Life through Analysis of Travel Needs with Vehicle Powertrain Models,” Journal of Power Sources 282, May 15, 2015.
- “Staff Paper on Introduction of Electricity Storage System in India,” Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, New Delhi, Jan. 2017.
- DOE Global Energy Storage Database, “Office of Electricity Delivery & Energy Reliability,” https://www.energystorageexchange.org/projects/931.
- Beer, S., Gómez, T., Dallinger, D., Momber, I. et al., “An Economic Analysis of Used Electric Vehicle Batteries Integrated into Commercial Building Microgrids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Mar. 2012.
- Tong, S.J., Same, A., Kootstra, M.A., and Park, J.W., “Off-Grid Photovoltaic Vehicle Charge Using Second Life Lithium Batteries: An Experimental and Numerical Investigation,” Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA.
- Jiao, N. and Evans, S., “Secondary Use of Electric Vehicle Batteries and Potential Impacts on Business Models,” Journal of Industrial and Production Engineering.
- Casals, L.C. and Amante García, B., “Assessing Electric Vehicles Battery Second Life Remanufacture and Management,” Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain, email@example.com.
- Cready, E., Lippert, J., Pihl, J., Weinstock, I. et al., “Technical and Economic Feasibility of Applying Used EV Batteries in Stationary Applications,” SAND REPORT SAND2002-4084, Unlimited Release, Printed Mar. 2003
- Casals, L.C., García, B.A., and Cremades, L.V., “Electric Vehicle Battery Reuse: Preparing for a Second Life,” Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management JIEM 10(2):266-285, 2017, Online ISSN:2013-0953; Print ISSN:2013-8423.
- BNEF Report on “Lithium-Ion Battery Costs and Market,” https://data.bloomberglp.com/bnef/sites/14/2017/07/BNEF-Lithium-ion-battery-costs-and-market.pdf.
- Neubauer, J. and Pesaran, A., “NREL’s PHEV/EV Li-Ion Battery Secondary-Use Project,” Advanced Automotive Batteries Conference (AABC), 2010