This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrification and Automation of Manual Gearbox Technology to Reduce Fuel Consumption and CO 2 -Emissions of Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet the targets of Indian future emission legislation, an electrification and automation of today’s manual transmission technology is necessary. For this reason, IAV invented an electrified automated transmission family, based on well-known manual transmission technology. This low-cost automated manual transmission (AMT) approach is equipped with a 48 V electric machine and can be used as pure electric or hybrid drivetrain. Furthermore, it is possible to realize power shifts by using just one dry friction element. A small number of standard components combined with a low voltage electric machine and an electromechanical actuation system is sufficient to create a maximum of flexibility to meet future emission fleet targets, without having the disadvantageous high costs for a high-voltage electric system. To detect the optimal powertrain configuration, IAV used a unique advance development tool called Powertrain Synthesis.
Beside this low-cost drivetrain approach, IAV has developed an electromechanical AMT-kit to convert current manual transmissions easily into automated manual transmissions. Only this small technology change can cause a fuel consumption benefit of up to 10 % . The advantage of an electromechanic AMT-kit compared to today’s well-known hydraulic actuation systems is the “easy-to-service” and “easy-to-replace” principle, together with the good? energy efficiency of this power-on-demand actuation systems.
To choose the right actuation technology for the customer specific requirements, IAV developed an advance methodology called Actuation Synthesis. This new consistent simulation method makes it possible to analyze, evaluate and optimize transmission actuation systems in relation to efficiency, package, shifting characteristics and costs as early as possible within the product development process.
CitationUhle, A., "Electrification and Automation of Manual Gearbox Technology to Reduce Fuel Consumption and CO2-Emissions of Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0140, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0140.
- Welter , R MTplus-Sailing with Manual Transmission 14th International CTI Symposium Berlin 2015
- Mueller , J. , Liebold , C. , and Danzer , C. High-Performance Hybrid Transmission for Future, Plug-In Hybrid Drives ATZ Oct. 2016
- Chachra , D. , Parab , A. , and Seth , B A Parallel Hybrid Transmission Technology 13th International CTI Symposium, “Innovative Automotive Transmissions, Hybrid & Electric Drives Berlin 2014
- Rihn , M. A Single Hybrid Powertrain for HEVs, PHEVs and E-REVs 13th International CTI Symposium “Innovative Automotive Transmissions, Hybrid & Electric Drives Berlin 2014
- Danzer , C. , Vallon , M. , Wukisiewitsch , W. , and Kratzsch , M. Antriebsstrangsynthese zur Auslegung komplexer Systemkonfigurationen MTZ Sept. 2016
- Mueller , J. , Liebold , C. , Schuhmann , T. , and Mayer , M. Optimierung von Elektromotoren für Traktionsantriebe ATZ Oct. 2015
- Leesch , M. , Schreiterer , E. , and Mutha , G. Entry Level Dual-Clutch Transmission for India SIAT 2017
- Uhle , A. Actuation Synthesis for New Hybrid Transmission Application (DHT) 3. International VDI Congress Dritev Bonn 2017
- Danzer , C. , Liebold , J. , Schreiterer , E. , and Müller , J. Low-Cost Powertrain Platform for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles ATZ Worldwide 2017