This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Diesel, Algae Biodiesel and Heptanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Because of higher NOx and PM emissions Compression Ignition (CI) engines are slowly being replaced by gas engines in metro cities though CI engine have better thermal efficiency and emit less Carbon monoxide (CO) and Unburned Hydrocarbons (UHC) emission than SI engines. Pollutants formed during combustion, depleting fossil fuels and continuous raising fuel price pushes the research community to find new alternative fuels which can be used along with diesel or replace the diesel without making major modifications in the current engine. The objective of this research work is to derive bio-diesel fuel from the source of algae and use it as a fuel by blending with commercially available diesel fuel. Heptanol is added along with algae bio-diesel and diesel blend to improve the ignition quality of the blend. Tests were conducted on a single cylinder constant speed, water cooled stationary diesel engine with different blends proportions of heptanol-biodiesel-diesel. The experimental results obtained for seven different types of blend proportions were compared with baseline diesel values. This research study reveals significant decrease in HC, CO, CO2 and NOx emission with marginal rise in smoke level. Amongst these seven samples, maximum of 14.7% NOx emission was reduced with S6 blend. At full load maximum Brake Thermal Efficiency (BTE) of 34.96% is also achieved with the same S6 blend which is a combination of 10% heptanol, 20% biodiesel and rest diesel. On overall comparison, sample S6 found to be better to operate in conventional diesel engine without any prior modification.
- Supramani Saravanan - Vellore Institute Of Technology, Vellore
- Sagar Gupta - Vellore Institute Of Technology, Vellore
- Rameshkumar Chidambaram - Vellore Institute Of Technology, Vellore
- Aatmesh Jain - The Automotive Research Association of India
- Kamalkishore Vora - The Automotive Research Association of India
CitationSaravanan, S., Gupta, S., Chidambaram, R., Jain, A. et al., "Assessment on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Diesel, Algae Biodiesel and Heptanol," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0091, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0091.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- C., Bae and J., Kim, “Alternative Fuels for Internal Combustion Engines,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 36(3):3389-3413, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2016.09.009.
- A., Demirbas and M.F., Demirbas, Algae Energy (2010), doi:10.1007/978-1-84996-050-2.
- Nrel, “A Look Back at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Aquatic Species Program: Biodiesel from Algae,” Report 328:291pp., 1998, doi:10.2172/15003040.
- L., Brennan and P., Owende, “Biofuels from Microalgae - A Review of Technologies for Production, Processing, and Extractions of Biofuels and Co-Products,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 14(2):557-577, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2009.10.009.
- M.F., Othman, A., Adam, G., Najafi, and R., Mamat, “Green fuel as Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine: A Review,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 80:694-709, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2017.05.140.
- R., Madadi, M., Tabatabaei, M., Aghbashlo, M.A., Zahed et al., “Biodiesel from Microalgae,” 277-318, 2018, doi:10.1007/978-981-10-7431-8_13.
- M., Paul Abishek, J., Patel, and A., Prem Rajan, “Algae Oil: A Sustainable Renewable Fuel of Future,” Biotechnol. Res. Int. 2014:1-8, 2014, doi:10.1155/2014/272814.
- M., Hannon, J., Gimpel, M., Tran, B., Rasala et al., “Biofuels from Algae: Challenges and Potential Biofuels from Algae : Challenges and Potential,” Natl. Inst. Heal. 1(5):763-784, 2010, doi:10.4155/bfs.10.44.
- O.M., Adeniyi, U., Azimov, and A., Burluka, “Algae Biofuel: Current Status and Future Applications,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 90:316-335, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2018.03.067.
- N., Vinothkumar, R., Arularasan, and S.V., Baranidharan, “Potential of Nannochloropsis sp. Algae Oil to Be Used as Engine Fuel: A Review,” Int. J. Latest Eng. Res. Appl. 2(12):15-18, 2017.
- A., Ashokkumar, V., Padmanaban, and T., Subramaniam, “A Comparison of Fuel Properties Between Fractionated and Non-Fractionated Composition of Micro Algae Based Biodiesel,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2814, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2814.
- T., Aysu and A., Sanna, “Nannochloropsis Algae Pyrolysis with Ceria-Based Catalysts for Production of High-Quality Bio-Oils,” Bioresour. Technol. 194:108-116, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2015.07.027.
- H.M., Mahmudul, F.Y., Hagos, R., Mamat, A.A., Adam et al., “Production, Characterization and Performance of Biodiesel as an Alternative Fuel in Diesel Engines - A Review,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 72:497-509, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2017.01.001.
- R., Piloto-Rodríguez, Y., Sánchez-Borroto, E.A., Melo-Espinosa, and S., Verhelst, “Assessment of Diesel Engine Performance When Fueled with Biodiesel from Algae and Microalgae: An Overview,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 69:833-842, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.015.
- S., Natarajan, K.A., Trasy, N., Srihari, and S., Raja, “Effects of Injection Timing on CI Engine Fuelled with Algae Oil Blend with Taguchi Technique,” Energy Procedia 105:1043-1050, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.452.
- J.S., Patel, N., Kumar, A., Deep, A., Sharma et al., “Evaluation of Emission Characteristics of Blend of Algae Oil Methyl Ester with Diesel in a Medium Capacity Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1378, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1378.
- N.S., Topare, V.C., Renge, S.V., Khedkar, Y.P., Chavan et al., “Biodiesel from Algae Oil as an Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine,” Int. J. Chem. Environ. Pharm. Res. 2(2-3):116-120, 2011.
- S.H., Al-lwayzy and T., Yusaf, “Chlorella Protothecoides Microalgae as an Alternative Fuel for Tractor Diesel Engines,” Energies 6(2):766-783, 2013, doi:10.3390/en6020766.
- V., Hariram and G., Mohan Kumar, “Combustion Analysis of Algal Oil Methyl Ester in a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine,” J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 8(1):77-92, 2013.
- A.S., Ahmed, S., Khan, S., Hamdan, R., Rahman et al., “Biodiesel Production from Macro Algae as a Green Fuel for Diesel Engine,” J. Energy Environ. 2:1-5, 2012.
- E., Mattarelli and C.A., Rinaldini, “Combustion Analysis on an IDI CI Engine Fueled by Microalgae,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2484, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2484.