This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modifications in Minibus Design for Drag Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The main objective of this paper is used to reduce drag of the minibus vehicle so as to reduce fuel consumption (power consumption). As Mini-bus is designed as H2O2 fuel cell and electric bus, no emissions are created to the environment. Different modified Computer Aided Design (CAD) model of minibus was used and performed Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) on it. While performing CFD on it, various process of simulations are done are importing CAD file from CATIA, designing of wind tunnel in its geometry and using Boolean operations (subtracting the body from tunnel block), Meshing in ANSYS and solving it. Models like k-ε Standard and k-ε Realizable models are used for good results. After observing the results, due to the changes in front and rear part of the minibus, there is reduction of almost 32% of the drag coefficient for Dolphin Bus and 42% of the drag coefficient for Aero-Dolphin Bus which results in a power savings of about 13.5% for Dolphin Bus and 18% for Aero-Dolphin Bus. The name given is Dolphin as it’s front shape is like a Dolphin who has high IQ. So, Advanced Driver Assisted Steering system (ADAS) including Adaptive cruise control system and various future smart technologies can be used in these Dolphin and Aero-Dolphin Buses.
CitationNagose, V., "Modifications in Minibus Design for Drag Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0071, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0071.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Carregari , A.L. 2006
- Videira , L.C.P. 2001
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fourth Warrandale SAE International 1998
- Rodrigues , A.F.A. Aerodynamics Analysis of Vehicle Minibus SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0327 10.4271/2014-36-0327
- Shekhar , V.T. A Holistic Approach to Aerodynamics of Intercity and Interurban Buses SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0581 . 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0581
- Hirz , M. and Stadler , S. A New Approach for the Reduction of Aerodynamic Drag of Long Distance Transportation Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2414 10.4271/2013-01-2414
- Callen , M.C. , Salari , K. , Ortega , J. , Browand , F. et al. Effort to Reduce Truck Aerodynamic Drag - Joint Experiments and Computations Lead to Smart Design AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference 2004
- Patil , C.N. Aerodynamic Study and Drag Coefficient Optimization of Passenger Vehicle International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology 2012
- Ahmed , S.R. Wake Structure of Typical Automobile Shapes Journal of Fluids Engineering 130 1981
- Ahmed , S.R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434 1983