This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Feasibility Analysis of an Electric KERS for Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 7, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this work, the authors evaluate the energetic and economic advantages connected to the implementation of an electric Kinetic Energy Recovery System (e-KERS) on an internal combustion engine vehicle (ICEV). The e-KERS proposed is based on the use of a supercapacitor (SC) as energy storage element, a brushless motor generator unit (MGU) for the conversion of the vehicle kinetic energy into electric energy (and vice versa), and a power converter properly designed to manage the power transfer between SC and MGU. The low complexity of the system proposed, the moderate volume and weight of the components selected for its assembly, together with their immediate availability on the market, make the solution presented ready for the introduction in current vehicle production. A widely diffused passenger car, endowed of a gasoline fuelled spark ignition engines, was selected for the evaluation of the advantage connected to the implementation of the e-KERS. The attainable energy saving, together with the related fuel economy, were evaluated on the basis of standard driving cycles by means of simulation performed using MatLab Simulink employing a model properly developed by the authors. It was found that the proposed KERS could allow substantial energy savings, to which correspond important fuel economy improvement together with a reduction of CO2 emissions. The achievable fuel economy and the cost of the KERS components allowed also to estimate the economic advantage of its implementation.
CitationPipitone, E., Vitale, G., Lanzafame, R., Brusca, S. et al., "A Feasibility Analysis of an Electric KERS for Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0241, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0241.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Iodice, P. and Senatore, A. , “Experimental-Analytical Investigation to Estimate an Emission Inventory from Road Transport Sector,” in IAENG Transactions on Engineering Sciences - Special Issue of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, IMECS 2013 and World Congress on Engineering, WCE 2013, 141-149, 2014
- Scharf, J., Baumgarten, H., Uhlmann, T., Thewes, M. et al. , “High Performance and High Efficiency Powertrains with Variable Compression Ratio,” in FISITA 2016 World Automotive Congress - Proceedings, 7, 2016
- Mattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., and Agostinelli, E. , “Comparison of Supercharging Concepts for SI Engine Downsizing,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1032 , 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1032.
- Pamminger, M., Sevik, J., Scarcelli, R., Wallner, T. et al. , “Influence of Compression Ratio on High Load Performance and Knock Behavior for Gasoline Port-Fuel Injection, Natural Gas Direct Injection and Blended Operation in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0661 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0661.
- De Simio, L., Gambino, M., Iannaccone, S., Borrelli, L. et al. , “Experimental Analysis of a Natural Gas Fueled Engine and 1-D Simulation of VVT and VVA Strategies,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0111 , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0111.
- Iodice, P., Senatore, A., Langella, G., and Amoresano, A. , “Advantages of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends as Fuel Substitute for Last Generation Si Engines,” Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy 36(4):1173-1179, 2017, doi:10.1002/ep.12545.
- Pipitone, E. and Beccari, A. , “A Study on the Use of Combustion Phase Indicators for MBT Spark Timing on a Bi-Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0051 , 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0051.
- Genchi, G. and Pipitone, E. , “Octane Rating of Natural Gas-Gasoline Mixtures on CFR Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):1041-1049, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-9081.
- Sovran, G. and Blaser, D. , “Quantifying the Potential Impacts of Regenerative Braking on a Vehicle’s Tractive-Fuel Consumption for the U.S., European, and Japanese Driving Schedules,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0664 , 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0664.
- Gabriel-Buenaventura, A. and Azzopardi, B. , “Energy Recovery Systems for Retrofitting in Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles: A Review of Techniques,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 41:955-964, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2014.08.083.
- Thomas, M. and Nishanth, D. , “Flywheel Based Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) Integrated in Vehicles,” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST) 5(09):1694-1699, 2013, ISSN:0975-5462.
- Dimitrova, Z. and Maréchal, F. , “Gasoline Hybrid Pneumatic Engine for Efficient Vehicle Powertrain Hybridization,” Applied Energy 151:168-177, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.03.057.
- Upendra, K. and Grauers, A. , “Analysis of 2014 Formula one Hybrid Powertrain,” Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Signals and Systems, 2015, http://emobilitycentre.se/en/category/fordonsanalys/
- Akar, F., Tavlasoglu, Y., Ugur, E., Vural, B. et al. , “A Bidirectional Nonisolated Multi-Input DC-DC Converter for Hybrid Energy Storage Systems in Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(10):7944-7955, Oct. 2016, doi:10.1109/TVT.2015.2500683.
- Hu, J., Zhao, Y., and Liu, X. , “The Design of Regeneration Braking System in Light Rail Vehicle Using Energy-Storage Ultra-Capacitor,” in 2008 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, Harbin, 2008, 1-5, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2008.4677708.
- Ouyang, M., Zhang, W., Wang, E., Yang, F. et al. , “Performance Analysis of a Novel Coaxial Power-Split Hybrid Powertrain Using a CNG Engine and Supercapacitors,” Applied Energy 157:595-606, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.12.086.
- Lequesne, B. , “Automotive Electrification: The Nonhybrid Story,” IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 1(1):40-53, June 2015, doi:10.1109/TTE.2015.2426573.
- Mock, P. , “European Vehicle Market Statistics 2018/2019,” International Council on Clean Transportation Europe (ICCT), 2018, www.theicct.org.
- Barlow, T.J., Latham, S., McCrae, I.S., and Boulter, P.G. , “A Reference Book of Driving Cycles for Use in the Measurement of Road Vehicle Emissions,” Published Project Report, ISSN 0968-4093, HIS, 2009.
- Giakoumis, E.G. , Driving and Engine Cycles (Springer International Publishing, 2017). ISBN:783319490342 978-3-319-49034-2.
- André, M. , “The ARTEMIS European Driving Cycles forMeasuring Car Pollutant Emissions,” Science of the TotalEnvironment 334-335:73-84, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.04.070.
- UNECE , “Development of a World-Wide Worldwide Harmonized Light Duty Driving Test Cycle (WLTC),” UN/ECE/WP.29/GRPE/WLTP-IG, Technical Report GRPE-68-03, 2013.
- Vitale, G. , “Supercapacitor Modelling by Lagrange’s Equations”, in International Conference on Modern Electrical Power Engineering, (ICMEPE-2016), las Palmas de Gran Canaria, July 6-8, 2016.
- Kloetzl, J. and Gerling, D. , “An Interleaved Buck-Boost-Converter Combined with a Supercapacitor-Storage for the Stabilization of Automotive Power Nets,” in 2011 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, Chicago, IL, 2011, 1-6, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2011.6042982
- Dixon, J.W. and Leal, I.A. , “Current Control Strategy for Brushless Dc Motors Based on a Common DC Signal,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 17(2):232-240, 2002, doi:10.1109/63.988834.
- Vitale, G. and Pipitone, E. , “A Six Legs Buck-Boost Interleaved Converter for KERS Application,” Submitted for Publication to World Electric Vehicle Journal, 2019, Currently available for consultation at http://emilianopipitone.altervista.org/publication_list.htm.
- Vitale, G. , “Energy Saving by Power Electronics: Towards a New Concept of Renewable Source,” Invited Paper - Plenary Session, International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ’16), Madrid, Spain, May 4-6, 2016.
- Gammeter, C., Krismer, F., and Kolar, J.W. , “Comprehensive Conceptualization, Design, and Experimental Verification of a Weight-Optimized all-SiC 2 kV/700 V DAB for an Airborne Wind Turbine,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics 4(2):638-656, June 2016, doi:10.1109/JESTPE.2015.2459378.
- Andrada, P., Torrent, M., Perat, J.I., and Blanqué, B. , “Power Losses in Outside-Spin Brushless D.C. Motors,” Renewable Energy & Power Quality Journal 1(2), 2004, doi:doi.org/10.24084/repqj02.320.
- Kuria, J. and Hwang, P. , “Modeling Power Losses in Electric Vehicle BLDC Motor,” Journal of Energy Technologies and Policy 1:4, 2011, ISSN 2224-3232.
- Vock, C., Hubel, J., Tsokolis, D., Samaras, C. et al. , “Report on the Development and Use of the Vehicle Energy/Emission Simulator, Deliverable D.3.2.1,” ICT-EMISSIONS Consortium, 2014.
- European Environment Agency , https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/indicators/fuel-prices-and-taxes/, accessed Feb. 2019.