This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock Onset Detection Methods Evaluation by In-Cylinder Direct Observation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 7, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Improvement of performance and emission of future internal combustion engine for passenger cars is mandatory during the transition period toward their substitution with electric propulsion systems. In middle time, direct injection spark ignition (DISI) engines could offer a good compromise between fuel economy and exhaust emissions. However, abnormal combustion and particularly knock and super-knock are some of the most important obstacles to the improvement of SI engines efficiency. Although knock has been studied for many years and its basic characteristics are clear, phenomena involved in its occurrence are very complex and are still worth of investigation. In particular, the definition of an absolute knock intensity and the precise determination of the knock onset are arduous and many indexes and methodologies has been proposed.
In this work, most used methods for knock onset detection from in- cylinder pressure signal have been considered. Moreover, knock intensity has been evaluated by means of two common indexes. High speed imaging has been carried out in the combustion chamber of a high performance DISI engine provided with an optical window in the piston top. In this way, it has been possible to follow the entire combustion evolution almost until the cylinder borders. Particularly, the knock onset has been determined with a resolution of about 0.1 crank angle degrees. Two engine conditions characterized by high and medium knock intensities were explored.
In this way, it has been possible to evaluate the real resolution of different knock metrics for intensity and onset detection also depending on knock severity.
CitationCatapano, F., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B., "Knock Onset Detection Methods Evaluation by In-Cylinder Direct Observation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0233, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0233.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wang, E., Guo, D., and Yang, F. , “System Design and Energetic Characterization of a Four-Wheel-Driven Series-Parallel Hybrid Electric Powertrain for Heavy-Duty Applications,” Energy Conversion and Management 106:1264-1275, 2015.
- Wang, Z., Wiszynski, M.L., Xu, H., Abdullah, N.R. et al. , “Fuel Injection and Combustion Study by the Combination of Mass Flow Rate and Heat Release Rate with Single and Multiple Injection Strategies,” Fuel Process Technology 132:118-132, 2015.
- Zhao, H. , Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development, Vol. I: Gasoline and Gas Engines, Vol. II: Diesel Engines (Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing, 2010).
- Park, C., Kim, S., Kim, H., and Moriyoshi, Y. , “Stratified Lean Combustion Characteristics of a Spray-Guided Combustion System in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” Energy 41:401-407, 2012.
- Günther, M. and Sens, M. , Knocking in Gasoline Engines, 2017 (eBook), doi:10.1007/978-3-319-69760-4.
- Zhen, X., Wang, Y., Xu, S., Zhu, Y. et al. , “The Engine Knock Analysis - An Overview,” Applied Energy 92:628-636, 2012.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., and Reitz, R.D. , “Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 61:78-112, July 2017, ISSN:0360-1285.
- Wooldridge, S., Surnilla, G. et al. , “Method and System for Knock Control,” Patent US 9284909 B2, 2016.
- Ängeby, J., Johnsson, A., and Hellström, K. , “Knock Detection Using Multiple Indicators and a Classification Approach,” IFAC-Papers OnLine 51(31):297-302, 2018, ISSN:2405-8963.
- Shahlari, A. and Ghandhi, J. , “Pressure-Based Knock Measurement Issues,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0668, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0668.
- Shahlari, A. and Ghandhi, J. , “A Comparison of Engine Knock Metrics,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0007, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-32-0007.
- Worret, R., Bernhardt, S., Schwarz, F., and Spicher, U. , “Application of Different Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1668, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1668.
- Lee, J., Hwang, S., Lim, J., Jeon, D. et al. , “A New Knock-Detection Method Using Cylinder Pressure, Block Vibration and Sound Pressure Signals from a SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 981436, 1998, doi:10.4271/981436.
- Millo, F. and Ferraro, C.V. , “Knock in S.I. Engine: A Comparison between Different Techniques for Detection and Control,” SAE Technical Paper 982477, 1998, doi:10.4271/982477.
- Corti, E., Forte, C., Cazzoli, G., Moro, D. et al. , “Comparison of Knock Indexes Based on CFD Analysis,” Energy Procedia 101:917-924, 2016, ISSN:1876-6102.
- Witwit, A.R., Yasin, A., Abas, M.A., and Gitano, H. , “Modern Methods in Engine Knock Signal Detection,” Procedia Technology 11:40-50, 2013, ISSN:2212-0173.
- Catapano, F., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B. , “Characterization of Knock Tendency and Onset in a GDI Engine by Means of Conventional Measurements and a Non-Conventional Flame Dynamics Optical Analysis,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2439-2450, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0099.
- Catapano, F., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B.M. , “Design for a Optically Accessible Multicylinder High Performance GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0046, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0046.
- Catapano, F., Costa, M., Marseglia, G., Sementa, P. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigation in a Turbocharged GDI Engine under Knock Condition by Means of Conventional and Non-Conventional Methods,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):437-446, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0397.
- Xiaofeng, G., Stone, R., Hudson, C., and Bradbury, I. , “The Detection and Quantification of Knock in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 932759, 1993, doi:10.4271/932759.
- Burgdorf, K. and Denbratt, I. , “Comparison of Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 972932, 1997, doi:10.4271/972932.
- Zheng, Z., Tian, X., and Zhang, X. , “Effects of Split Injection Proportion and the Second Injection Time on the Mixture Formation in a GDI Engine under Catalyst Heating Mode Using Stratified Charge Strategy,” Applied Thermal Engineering 84:237-245, 2015.
- Song, J., Kim, T., Jang, J., and Park, S. , “Effects of the Injection Strategy on the Mixture Formation and Combustion Characteristics in a DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) Optical Engine,” Energy 93:1758-1768, 2015.
- Kim, T., Song, J., and Park, S. , “Effects of Turbulence Enhancement on Combustion Process Using a Double Injection Strategy in Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Gasoline Engines,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 56:124-136, 2015.
- Wang, Z., Xu, Y., and Wang, J. , “Suppression of Super-Knock in TC-GDI Engine Using Two-Stage Injection in Intake Stroke (TSII),” Science China Technological Sciences (1):18, 2013.
- Marseglia, G., Costa, M., Catapano, F., Sementa, P. et al. , “Study about the Link between Injection Strategy and Knock Onset in an Optically Accessible Multi-Cylinder GDI Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 134:1-19, 2017.
- Kawahara, N., Tomita, E., and Sakata, Y. , “Auto-Ignited Kernels during Knocking Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31(2):2999-3006, 2007.