This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of a Fueled Prechamber Combustion in an Optical Small Displacement SI Methane Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The constant aim of the automotive industry is the further improvement of engine efficiency and the simultaneous reduction of the exhaust emissions. In order to optimize the internal combustion engines it is necessary to further improve the basic knowledge of the thermo-fluid dynamic phenomena occurring during the combustion process. In this context, the application of optical diagnostic techniques permits a deep insight into the fundamental processes such as flow development, fuel injection, and combustion process. In this paper the analysis of the combustion process of gaseous fuel ignited by the plasma jets coming from a prechamber was performed. The investigation was carried out in an optically accessible small Direct Injection Spark-Ignition (DI SI) engine fueled with Methane. The ignition was obtained with a properly designed fueled prechamber prototype. It was equipped with a gas Direct Injector, used to inject the fuel into the prechamber, and a spark plug used to ignite the mixture. The combustion of the prechamber mixture generates four plasma jets that quickly ignite the mixture into the combustion chamber. The development of the combustion process was investigated for different engine operative conditions performing a cycle resolved visualization of the flame in the combustion chamber. This approach allowed the acquisition of significant information on the flame propagation. Using the prechamber, the flame speed is many times faster with respect to the traditional ignition. All the optical data were correlated with the engine performance and the exhaust emissions.
CitationSementa, P., Catapano, F., Di Iorio, S., and Vaglieco, B., "Experimental Investigation of a Fueled Prechamber Combustion in an Optical Small Displacement SI Methane Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0170, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0170.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gussak, L., Turkish, M., and Siegla, D. , “High Chemical Activity of Incomplete Combustion Products and a Method of Prechamber Torch Ignition for Avalanche Activation of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 750890 , 1975, doi:10.4271/750890.
- Choi, M., Lee, S., and Park, S. , “Numerical and Experimental Study of Gaseous Fuel Injection for CNG Direct Injection,” Fuel 140:693-700, 2015.
- Choi, M., Song, J., and Park, S. , “Modeling of the Fuel Injection and Combustion Process in a CNG Direct Injection Engine,” Fuel 179:168-178, 2016.
- Di Iorio, S., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B. , “Experimental Investigation of a Methane-Gasoline Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Small Displacement Optical Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0046 , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0046.
- Karim, G. and Wierzba, I. , “Comparative Studies of Methane and Propane as Fuels for Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 831196 , 1983, doi:10.4271/831196.
- Liu, Y., Hwang, S.I., Yeom, J.K., and Chung, S.S. , “Experimental Study on the Spray and Combustion Characteristics of SIDI CNG,” Int J Automot Technol 15:353-359, 2014.
- Rousseau, S., Lemoult, B., and Tazerout, M. , “Combustion Characteristics of Natural Gas in a Lean Burn Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 213(D5):481-489, 1999.
- Pirker, G., Chmela, F., and Wimmer, A. , “Automated Parameter Determination for IC Engines Simulation Models,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0674 , 2009.
- Srinivasan, K.K., Krishnan, S.R., and Midkiff, K.C. , “Improving Low Load Combustion Stability and Emissions in Pilot-Ignited Natural Gas Engines,” Proc Inst Mech Eng (Part D), J Autom Eng 220:229-239, 2006.
- Rousseau, S., Lemoult, B., and Tazerout, M. , “Combustion Characteristics of Natural Gas in a Lean Burn Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proc Inst Mech Eng Part D: J Autom. Eng 213(D5):481-489, 1999.
- Huang, Z.H., Wang, J.H., Liu, B., Zeng, K. et al. , “Combustion Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Engine Fueled with Natural Gas-Hydrogen Mixtures,” Energy Fuels 20(2):540-546, 2006.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co, 1988).
- Cho, H.M. and He, B.-Q. , “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 9(4):415-422, August 2008.
- Getzlaff, J., Pape, J., Gruenig, C., Kuhnert, D. et al. , “Investigations on Pre-Chamber Spark Plug with Pilot Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0479 , 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0479.
- Uyehara, O. , “Prechamber for Lean Burn for Low NOx for Natural Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 951937 , 1995, doi:10.4271/951937.
- Park, J., Kang, B., Kim, K., Lee, T. et al. , “Study on Combustion Characteristics and Application of Radial Induced Ignition Method in an Actual Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 6, 2005.
- Tanoue, K., Kimura, T., Jimoto, T., Hashimoto, J. et al. , “Study of Prechamber Combustion Characteristics in a Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 115:64-71, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.12.079.
- Crane, M. and King, S. , “Emission Reductions Through Precombustion Chamber Design in a Natural Gas, Lean Burn Engine,” American Society of Mechanical Engineers 114:466-474, 1992.
- Dale, J. , “Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 23(5-6):379-398, 1997, doi:10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7.