This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Modeling and Validation of the ECN Spray G Experiment under a Wide Range of Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The increasing diffusion of gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines requires a more detailed and reliable description of the phenomena occurring during the fuel injection process.
As well known the thermal and fluid-dynamic conditions present in the combustion chamber greatly influence the air-fuel mixture process deriving from GDI injectors.
GDI fuel sprays typically evolve in wide range of ambient pressure and temperatures depending on the engine load. In some particular injection conditions, when in-cylinder pressure is relatively low, flash evaporation might occur significantly affecting the fuel-air mixing process. In some other particular injection conditions spray impingement on the piston wall might occur, causing high unburned hydrocarbons and soot emissions, so currently representing one of the main drawbacks of GDI engines. Within this context, a deep understanding of the spray evolution by means of accurate experimental and numerical investigations is of great importance for reduction of pollutant emissions and fuel consumption.
This work is focused on the CFD simulation of the 8-hole, ECN Spray G injector under constant volume conditions. Calculations were carried out with the LibICE code, which is based on the OpenFOAM technology. Different ambient pressure and temperature conditions were investigated for a comprehensive evaluation of the proposed numerical setup. The resulting developments of the jet plumes were assessed, along with the physical effects of injection pressure and sub-atmospheric ambient pressure conditions. The capability of the code in describing the spray evolution in terms of penetration and diffusion under flash-boiling conditions was here analyzed. A validation of atomization, secondary breakup and wall impingement models was performed through a comparison with experimental data obtained with optical techniques characterized by a hybrid Mie-scattering/schlieren approach. The spatial distribution and the time-resolved evolution of the free sprays were derived along with their post-impingement characteristics.
CitationMigliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Paredi, D., Lucchini, T. et al., "CFD Modeling and Validation of the ECN Spray G Experiment under a Wide Range of Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0130, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0130.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Ashgriz, N. , Handbook of Atomization and Sprays -Theory and Applications (New York: Springer, 2001).
- Moreira, A.L.N., Moita, A.S., and Panao, M.R. , “Advances and Challenges in Explaining Fuel Spray Impingement: How Much of Single Droplet Impact Research Is Useful ?” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36:554-580, 2010.
- Stevens, E. and Steeper, R. , “Piston Wetting in an Optical DISI Engine: Fuel Films, Pool Fires, and Soot Generation,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1203 , 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1203.
- Huang, Y., Huang, S., Huang, R., and Hong, G. , “Spray and Evaporation Characteristics of Ethanol and Gasoline Direct Injection in Non-Evaporating, Transitional Flash-Boiling and Flash-Boiling Conditions,” Energy Conversion and Management 108:68-77, 2016.
- Zeng, W., Xu, M., Zhang, G., Zhang, Y., and Cleary, D.J. , “Atomization and Vaporization for Flash-Boiling Multi-Hole Sprays with Alcohol Fuels,” Fuel 95:287-297, 2012.
- Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., Di Gioia, R., and Bonandrini, G. , “Spray Characterization of a Single-Hole Gasoline Injector under Flash-Boiling Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0041 , 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0041.
- Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., and Meccariello, G. , “Effects of the Ambient Conditions on the Spray Structure and Evaporation of the ECN Spray G,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0283 , 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0283.
- Paredi, D., Lucchini, T., D’Errico, G., Onorati, A. et al. , “Combined Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the ECN Spray G under Different Engine-Like Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0281 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0281.
- Bode, M., Falkenstein, T., Le Chenadec, V., Kang, S. et al. , “A New Euler/Lagrange Approach for Multiphase Simulations of a Multi-Hole GDI Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0949 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0949.
- Schulz, F., Schmidt, J., and Beyrau, F. , “Development of a Sensitive Experimental Set-Up for LIF Fuel Wall Film Measurements in a Pressure Vessel,” Experiments in Fluids 56-98, 2015.
- Duke et al. , Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 88:608-621, 2017.
- Amsden, A.A., ORourke, P.J., and Butler, T.D. , “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos Natl. Lab., LA-11560-MS, 1989, doi:10.1007/BF01054829.
- Huh, K.Y. and Gosman, A.D. , “A Phenomenological Model of Diesel Spray Atomization,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Multiphase Flows, Tsukuba, Japan, 1991.
- Reitz, R.D. and Diwakar, R. , “Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 870598 , 1987, doi:10.4271/870598.
- Bai, C. and Gosman, A. , “Development of Methodology for Spray Impingement Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 950283 , 1995, doi:10.4271/950283.
- Lucchini, T., D’Errico, G., and Fiocco, M. , “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Gas Exchange and Fuel-Air Mixing Processes in a Direct-Injection, Gas Fueled Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0036 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0036.
- Lucchini, T., D’Errico, G., Onorati, A., Bonandrini, G., Venturoli, L. and Di Gioia, R. . “Development and Application of a Computational Fluid Dynamics Methodology to Predict Fuel-Air Mixing and Sources of Soot Formation in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” International Journal of Engine Research, doi:10.1177/1468087413500297, 2013.
- Sphicas, P., Pickett, L., Skeen, S., Frank, J. et al. , “A Comparison of Experimental and Modeled Velocity in Gasoline Direct-Injection Sprays with Plume Interaction and Collapse,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(1):184-201, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0837.
- Payri, R., Salvador, F.J., Mart-Aldarav, P., and Vaquerizo, D. , “ECN Spray G External Spray Visualization and Spray Collapse Description through Penetration and Morphology Analysis,” Applied Thermal Engineering 112:304-316, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.10.023.
- Montanaro, A., Allocca, L., Meccariello, G., and Ianniello, R. , “Fuel Distribution of a GDI Spray Impacting on a Heated Wall: Liquid and Vapor Phases,” in 14th Triennial International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ICLASS, 2018, ID382.
- Efthymiou, P., Davy, M., Garner, C., Hargrave, G. et al. , “Insights into Cold-Start DISI Combustion in an Optical Engine Operating at −7°C,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):1059-1074, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1309.
- Payri, R., Gimeno, J., Marti-Aldaravi, P., and Vaquerizo, D. , “Momentum Flux Measurements on an ECN GDI Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1893 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1893.
- OpenFOAM® Website , “The Open-Source CFD Toolbox,” http://www.openfoam.org, OpenCFD Limited, 2007.
- Subramaniam, S. , “Lagrangian/Eulerian Methods for Multiphase Flows,” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University.
- Huh, K.Y., Lee, E., and Koo, J. , “Diesel Spray Atomization Model Considering Nozzle Exit Turbulence Conditions,” Atomization and Spray 8(4):453-469, 1998.
- Zuo, B., Gomes, A.M., and Rutland, C.J. , “Modelling Superheated Fuel Sprays and Vaporization,” International Journal of Engine Research. 1(4):321-336, 2000.
- Adachi, M., McDonell, V.J., Tanaka, D., Senda, J., and Fujimoto, H. , “Characterization of Fuel Vapor Concentration Inside a Flash Boiling Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 970871 , 1997, doi:10.4271/970871.
- Kolpakov, A.V. et al. , “Calculation of the Rebound Condition for Colliding Drops of Sharply Different Sizes,” Kollodn. Zh. 47, 1985.
- Lucchini, T., D’Errico, G., Brusiani, F., Bianchi, G.M. et al. , “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of the Air/Fuel Mixture Formation Process in a PFI Engine for Motorcycle Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0015 , 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0015.
- Payri, R., Salvador, F.J., Martí-Aldaraví, P. et al. , “ECN Spray G External Spray Visualization and Spray Collapse Description through Penetration and Morphology Analysis,” Applied Thermal Engineering 112:304-316, 2016.
- Duke, D.J., Kastengren, A.L., Matusik, K.E. et al. , “Internal and Near Nozzle Measurements of Engine Combustion Network “Spray G” Gasoline Direct Injectors,” Experimental Thermal & Fluid Science 88:608-621, 2017.