This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Oxy-Fuel HCCI Combustion in a CFR Engine with Carbon Dioxide as a Thermal Buffer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Global warming and the increasingly stringent emission regulations call for alternative combustion techniques to reduce CO2 emissions. Oxy-fuel combustion is one of those techniques since the combustion products are easily separated by condensing the water and storing CO2. A problem associated with the burning of fuel using pure oxygen as an oxidant is that it results in high adiabatic flame temperature. This high flame temperature is decreased by introducing a thermal buffer to the system. A thermal buffer in this context is any gas that does not participate in combustion but at the same time absorbs some of the released heat and thus decreases the temperature of the medium. Many experiments have been conducted to study oxy-fuel combustion in ICE using noble gases as thermal buffers. However, those experiments focused on using hydrogen as a fuel to avoid any build-up of CO2 in the system. On the contrary, the work presented in this paper investigates using CO2 as a thermal buffer for oxy-fuel combustion in HCCI engines. Experiments were performed on a standard Waukesha variable compression ratio cooperative fuel research CFR engine, modified to run in HCCI mode. Emissions were measured using an AVL SESAM-i60 FTIR spectrometer. As expected, results showed that the CO2 mixture degraded engine efficiency. The relatively lower engine temperature also decreased NOx emissions, simultaneously increasing CO and unburned hydrocarbon (UHC) emissions.
- Abdulrahman Mohammed - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- JEAN-BAPTISTE MASURIER - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Ali Elkhazraji - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Abdulrahman Mohammed - King Abdullah Univ. of Science & Tech.
- JEAN-BAPTISTE MASURIER - King Abdullah Univ. of Science & Tech.
- Ali Elkhazraji - King Abdullah Univ. of Science & Tech.
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah Univ. of Science & Tech.
CitationMohammed, A., MASURIER, J., Elkhazraji, A., and Johansson, B., "Oxy-Fuel HCCI Combustion in a CFR Engine with Carbon Dioxide as a Thermal Buffer," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0119, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0119.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Wuebbles , D.J. , Fahey , D.W. , Hibbard , K.A. , DeAngelo , B. et al. Executive Summary of the Climate Science Special Report: Fourth National Climate Assessment I Washigton, DC USA, 2017
- Chittibabu , P. and Canada , O. 2014 10.1007/s00024-005-2683-x
- Johnson , T. and Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions 11 6 1307 1330 2019 10.4271/2018-01-0329
- Johansson , B. 9789176230954 2014
- Koizumi , T. Biofuels and Food Security 52 829 841 2015 10.1016/j.rser.2015.06.041
- Eckermann , E. World History of the Automobile Society of Automotive Engineers 2001 9780768008005
- De Boer , P.C.T. , McLean , W.J. , and Homan , H.S. Performance and Emissions of Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1 2 153 172 1976 10.1016/0360-3199(76)90068-9
- Furuhama , S. , Hiruma , M. , and Enomoto , Y. Development of a Liquid Hydrogen Car Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 3 1 61 81 1978 10.1016/0360-3199(78)90057-5
- Brohi , E. 2014
- Zheng , L. Oxy-Fuel Combustion for Power Generation and Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Capture Elsevier Science 2011 9780857090980
- Hashim , S.S. , Mohamed , A.R. , and Bhatia , S. Oxygen Separation from Air Using Ceramic-Based Membrane Technology for Sustainable Fuel Production and Power Generation Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 15 2 1284 1293 2011 10.1016/j.rser.2010.10.002
- Ladommatos , N. , Abdelhalim , S.M. , Zhao , H. , and Hu , Z. 2019
- Anand , R. and Mahalakshmi , N.V. Effects of Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen and Exhaust Gas with Intake Air on DI Diesel Engine Emission and Performance Characteristics International Mobility Engineering Congress & Exposition 2005 - SAE India Technology for Emerging Markets 2005 10.4271/2005-26-345
- Cinar , C. , Topgu , T. , Ciniviz , M. , and Hasimoglu , C. Effects of Injection Pressure and Intake CO2 Concentration on Performance and Emission Parameters of an IDI Turbocharged Diesel Engine 25 1854 1862 2005 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.10.011
- Christensen , M. and Johansson , B. 2019
- Dec , J.E. , Sjöberg , M. , and Hwang , W. Isolating the Effects of EGR on HCCI Heat-Release Rates and NOX Emissions 2 2 2019
- Shudo , T. , Kitahara , S. , and Ogawa , H. 2019
- Qu , S. , Deng , K. , and Shi , L. Effect of Direct In-Cylinder Co Injection on Hcci 10 5 529 535 2009 10.1007/s12239
- Dibble , R.W. Recirculating Noble Gas Internal Combustion Power Cycle 2017 10.1037/t24245-000
- Mohammed , A.M. , Masurier , J.-B. , Elkhazraji , A. , Dibble , R. , and Johansson , B. A Path towards High Efficiency Using Argon in an HCCI Engine WCX SAE World Congress Experience 2019
- Kuroki , R. , Kato , A. , Kamiyama , E. , and Sawada , D. Study of High Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0581
- Killingsworth , N.J. , Rapp , V.H. , Flowers , D.L. , Aceves , S. M. et al. Increased Efficiency in SI Engine with Air Replaced by Oxygen in Argon Mixture Proc. Combust. Inst. 33 2 3141 3149 2011 10.1016/j.proci.2010.07.035
- Brock , C. and Stanley , D.L. The Cooperative Fuels Research Engine : Applications for Education and Research 1 130 135 2012 10.5703/1288284314865
- Ranzi , E. , Gaffuri , P. , Faravelli , T. , and Dagaut , P. A Wide-Range Modeling Study of N-Heptane Oxidation Combust. Flame 2180 95 1995
- Montgomery , C.J. , Cremer , M.A. , Chen , J. , and Westbrook , C.K. Reduced Chemical Kinetic Mechanisms for Hydrocarbon Fuels Introduction J. Propuls. Power 18 1 2002 10.2514/2.5916
- Kolaitis , D.I. and Founti , M.A. On the Assumption of Using N -Heptane as a “Surrogate Fuel” for the Description of the Cool Flame Oxidation of Diesel Oil Proc. Combust. Inst. 32 3197 3205 2009 10.1016/j.proci.2008.06.073
- Burcat , A. 2005
- Truedsson , I. , Cannella , W. , Johansson , B. , and Tuner , M. Engine Speed Effect on Auto-Ignition Temperature and Low Temperature Reactions in HCCI Combustion for Primary Reference Fuels SAE 2014 International Powertrain, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2666
- Truedsson , I. , Tuner , M. , Johansson , B. , and Cannella , W. Pressure Sensitivity of HCCI Auto-Ignition Temperature for Primary Reference Fuels SAE Int. J. Engines 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1128
- Solaka Aronsson , H. , Truedsson , I. , Tuner , M. , Johansson , B. , and Cannella , W. Comparison of Fuel Effects on LowTemperature Reactions in PPC and HCCI Combustion SAE 2014 International Powertrain, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2679
- De Melo , T.C.C. , MacHado , G.B. , Belchior , C.R.P. , Colaço , M.J. , Barros , J.E.M. , De Oliveira , E.J. , and De Oliveira , D.G. Hydrous Ethanol-Gasoline Blends - Combustion and Emission Investigations on a Flex-Fuel Engine Fuel 97 796 804 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2012.03.018
- Warnatz , J. , Maas , U. , Dibble , R.W. , and Dibble , R.W. Combustion: Physical and Chemical Fundamentals, Modelling and Simulation, Experiments, Pollutant Formation Springer 2001 9783540677512