This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Water Injection Strategies to Exploit the Thermodynamic Effects of Water in Gasoline Engines by Means of a 3D-CFD Virtual Test Bench
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
CO2 emission constraints taking effect from 2020 lead to further investigations of technologies to lower knock sensitivity of gasoline engines, main limiting factor to increase engine efficiency and thus reduce fuel consumption. Moreover the RDE cycle demands for higher power operation, where fuel enrichment is needed for component protection. To achieve high efficiency, the engine should be run at stoichiometric conditions in order to have better emission control and reduce fuel consumption. Among others, water injection is a promising technology to improve engine combustion efficiency, by mainly reducing knock sensitivity and to keep high conversion rates of the TWC over the whole engine map.
The comprehension of multiple thermodynamic effects of water injection through 3D-CFD simulations and their exploitation to enhance the engine combustion efficiency is the main purpose of the analysis. As basis for the research a single cylinder engine derived from a 1l turbocharged 3-cylinders engine is used to evaluate indirect and direct water injection. The entire engine flow field is reproduced and analyzed with 3D-CFD simulations and numerical models are employed to separate the influence of chemical and thermodynamic properties. Measurements are performed with different injectors for indirect/direct water injection in the single-cylinder engine in order to assess water break-up, wall wetting, spray interaction and penetration. Several injection strategies, such as varying start of injection, injection pressure, and water to fuel ratio, are tested at the single-cylinder engine test bench. Detailed gas phase chemistry is employed to link flame front speed with water concentration and knocking occurrence. These results are correlated with the 3D-CFD simulation of mixture formation, in-cylinder flow and water distribution for two different operating points (part load and maximum power) in order to study water behavior, with focus on the evaporation process, in-cylinder pressure and temperature profile, as well as the combustion development, during multiple engine cycles.
- Maike Sophie Gern - Technische Universitat Berlin
- Malte Kauf - Technische Universitat Berlin
- Marco Chiodi - FKFS Stuttgart
- Antonino Vacca - IVK - University of Stuttgart
- Michael Bargende - IVK - University of Stuttgart
- Tim Franken - Brandenburg Univ of Technology
- Corinna Netzer - Brandenburg Univ of Technology
- André Casal Kulzer - Porsche AG
CitationVacca, A., Bargende, M., Chiodi, M., Franken, T. et al., "Analysis of Water Injection Strategies to Exploit the Thermodynamic Effects of Water in Gasoline Engines by Means of a 3D-CFD Virtual Test Bench," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0102, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0102.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Hunger , M. , Böcking , T. , Walther , U. , Günther , M. et al.
- Durst , B. , Unterweger , G. , Rubbert , S. , and Witt , A. 2015
- Hermann , I. , Glahn , C. , Kluin , M. , and Paroll , M. Thermodynamisches Potential der Wassereinspritzung für den Ottomotor 16th Conference “The Working Process of Internal Combustion Engine” 2017
- Hoppe , F. , Thewes , M. , Baumgarten , H. , and Dohmen , J. Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions International Journal of Engine Research 17 1 86 96 2016 10.1177/1468087415599867
- Hoppe , F. , Thewes , M. , Seibel , J. , Balazs , A. et al. Evaluation of the Potential of Water Injection for Gasoline Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2500 2512 2017
- De Bellis , V. , Bozza , F. , Teodosio , L. , and Valentino , G. Experimental and Numerical Study of the Water Injection to Improve the Fuel Economy of a Small Size Turbocharged SI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 10 2 550 561 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0540
- Franzke , B. , Voßhall , T. , Adomeit , P. , and Müller , A. Wassereinspritzung zur Erfüllung zukünftiger RDE-Anforderungen für Turbo-Ottomotoren MTZ - Motortechnische Zeitschrift > Ausgabe 3 2019
- Heinrich , C. , Dörksen , H. , Esch , A. , and Krämer , K. Gasoline Water Direct Injection (GWDI) as a Key Feature for Future Gasoline Engines Knocking in Gasoline Engines 2018
- Sun , Y. , Fischer , M. , Bradford , M. , Kotrba , A. et al. Water Recovery from Gasoline Engine Exhaust for Water Injection SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0369 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0369
- Chiodi , M. 2010
- Pauer , T. , Frohnmaier , M. , Walther , J. , Schenk , P. et al. Optimization of Gasoline Engines by Water Injection 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium Vienna 2016
- VDI-Gesellschaft Verfahrenstechnik und Chemieingenieurwesen, editor VDI-Wärmeatlas Springer 2013
- Battistoni , M. , Grimaldi , C. , Cruccolini , V. , Discepoli , G. et al. Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0034
- Seidel , L. 2017
- Peters , N. Turbulent Combustion Cambridge University Press 2000
- Bradley , D. , Morley , C. , Gu , X. J. , and Emerson , D. R. Amplified Pressure Waves during Autoignition: Relevance to CAI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2868 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2868
- Netzer et al. Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine Using Detailed Chemistry SAE International Journal of Engines 11 2018
- Netzer , C. , Seidel , L. , Pasternak , M. , Lehtiniemi , H. et al. 3D CFD Engine Knock Prediction and Evaluation Based on Detailed Chemistry and Detonation Theory Int J Engine Res 19 1 33 44 2018