This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
One-Dimensional Modeling of a Thermochemical Recuperation Scheme for Improving Spark-Ignition Range Extender Engine Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Range extender (REx) engines have promise for providing low-cost energy for future battery electric vehicles. Due to their restricted operation range, REx engines provide an opportunity to implement system-level schemes that are less attractive for engines designed for highly transient operation. This paper explores a thermochemical recuperation (TCR) scheme for a 2-cylinder BMW spark-ignition REx engine using a 1-D model implemented in GT-Power™. The TCR reactor employs a unique catalytic heat exchange configuration that enables efficient transfer of exhaust sensible and chemical enthalpy to steam reform the incoming fuel. The engine model without the TCR reactor was validated using experimental emissions and performance data from a BMW engine operating on a test stand. A custom integrated heat exchanger and catalyst model was created and integrated with the validated engine. A parametric modeling sweep was conducted with iso-octane as fuel over a range of reformed fuel fraction. With the TCR reactor operating at a molar steam to carbon ratio of 1.0, engine efficiency was increased by 2.9% over the baseline REx engine within the most efficient speed and load operation range. Emissions of major exhaust species remained the same as the baseline with the addition of the TCR reactor and integrated three-way catalyst aftertreatment system.
CitationNorthrop, W. and Zarling, D., "One-Dimensional Modeling of a Thermochemical Recuperation Scheme for Improving Spark-Ignition Range Extender Engine Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0066, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Aasberg-Petersen, K., Bak Hansen, J. H., Christensen, T. S., Dybkjaer, I. et al. , “Technologies for Large-Scale Gas Conversion,” Applied Catalysis A: General 221(1-2):379-387, 2001, doi:10.1016/S0926-860X(01)00811-0.
- Tartakovsky, L. and Sheintuch, M. , “Fuel Reforming in Internal Combustion Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 67:88-114, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2018.02.003.
- Ekoto, I., Peterson, B., Szybist, J., and Northrop, W. , “Analysis of Thermal and Chemical Effects on Negative Valve Overlap Period Energy Recovery for Low-Temperature Gasoline Combustion,” SAE Int J. Engines 8(5), 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2451.
- Cao, L., Zhao, H., and Jiang, X. , “Investigation into Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion in a GDI Engine with Single and Split Fuel Injections,” 2007(724):776-790, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0211.
- Urushihara, T., Hiraya, K., Kakuhou, A., and Itoh, T. , “Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation,” SAE Transactions 112:1092-1100, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0749.
- Szybist, J. P., Steeper, R. R., Splitter, D., Kalaskar, V. B. et al. , “Negative Valve Overlap Reforming Chemistry in Low-Oxygen Environments,” SAE Int J. Engines 7(1):418-433, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1188.
- Chadwell, C., Alger, T., Zuehl, J., and Gukelberger, R. , “A Demonstration of Dedicated EGR on a 2.0 L GDI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1190.
- Lee, S., Ozaki, K., Iida, N., and Sako, T. , “A Potentiality of Dedicated EGR in SI Engines Fueled by Natural Gas for Improving Thermal Efficiency and Reducing NOx Emission,” SAE Int J. Engines 8(1), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0108.
- Kalaskar, V. B., Gukelberger, R., Denton, B., and Briggs, T. , “The Impact of Engine Operating Conditions on Reformate Production in a D-EGR Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0684 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0684.
- Randolph, E., Gukelberger, R., Alger, T., Briggs, T. et al. , “Methanol Fuel Testing on Port Fuel Injected Internal-Only EGR, HPL-EGR and D-EGR ® Engine Configurations,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(3):718-727, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2285.
- Chang, Y., Szybist, J. P., Pihl, J. A., and Brookshear, D. W. , “Catalytic Exhaust Gas Recirculation-Loop Reforming for High,” Energy & Fuels 32:2257-2266, 2018, doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b02565.
- Szybist, J. P., Pihl, J., Huff, S., Kaul, B., and Ridge, O. , “High Load Expansion of Catalytic EGR-Loop Reforming under Stoichiometric Conditions for Increased Efficiency in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0244 , 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0244.
- Voice, A. K. and Costanzo, V. , “Fuel and Engine Effects on Rich-Combustion Products as an Enabler of In-Cylinder Reforming,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1144 , 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-1144.
- Brookshear, D. W., Pihl, J. A., and Szybist, J. P. , “Catalytic Steam and Partial Oxidation Reforming of Liquid Fuels for Application in Improving the Efficiency of Internal Combustion Engines,” Energy and Fuels 32:2267-2281, 2018, doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b02576.
- Chuahy, F. D. F. and Kokjohn, S. L. , “High Efficiency Dual-Fuel Combustion through Thermochemical Recovery and Diesel Reforming,” Applied Energy 195:503-522, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.03.078.
- Hwang, J., Li, X., and Northrop, W. , “Exploration of Dual Fuel Diesel Engine Operation with On-Board Fuel Reforming,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0757 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0757.
- Hwang, Jeffrey T., Kane, S. P., and Northrop, W. F. , “Hydrous Ethanol Steam Reforming and Thermochemical Recuperation to Improve Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine Emissions and Efficiency.” in Proceedings of the ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Vol. ICEF2018-9, 2018.
- Lau, C. S., Allen, D., Tsolakis, A., Golunski, S. E., and Wyszynski, M. L. , “Biogas Upgrade to Syngas through Thermochemical Recovery Using Exhaust Gas Reforming,” Biomass and Bioenergy 40:86-95, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.02.004.
- Adesina, A. A., Trimm, D. L., and Cant, N. W. , “Kinetic Study of Iso-Octane Steam Reforming over a Nickel-Based Catalyst,” Chemical Engineering Journal 99:131-136, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.cej.2003.10.002.
- Changwei, J., Yan, H., and Wang, S. , “Simulation Study on Combustion Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Gasoline - Hydrogen Fuel Mixture,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0093 , 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0093.