This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Sensor Suite for Toeboard Three-Dimensional Deformation Measurement During Crash
Published March 31, 2020 by The Stapp Association in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents the development of a sensor suite that is used to measure the toeboard threedimensional (3D) dynamic deformation during a crash test, along with the methodology to use the sensor suite for toeboard measurement. The sensor suite consists of three high-speed cameras, which are firmly connected through a rigid metal frame. Two cameras, facing directly towards the toeboard, measure the shape of the toeboard through stereovision. The third camera, facing the ground, is equipped with a three-axis gyroscope and a three-axis accelerometer and localizes the sensor suite globally for removing the vibration of the sensor suite. The sensor suite was mounted onto the car through car seat mounting bolt holes, and a hole was made on the floor to let the downward camera see the ground. A pipeline using the data collected by the sensor suite is also introduced in this paper. A 56 km/h frontal barrier crash test was conducted to validate the capability of the sensor suite and a sled test was conducted to test the measuring accuracy of the purposed system. The results show that the proposed sensor suite identified its position and orientation, which allowed the removal of vibration of the stereo camera. The measuring accuracy, which is neither temporal nor positional, was 1.3 mm. The proposed methodology, as a result, has measured the global 3D deformation of the toeboard during crash with a measuring accuracy of 1.3mm.
CitationSong, M., Chen, C., Furukawa, T., Nakata, A. et al., "A Sensor Suite for Toeboard Three-Dimensional Deformation Measurement During Crash," SAE Technical Paper 2019-22-0014, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-22-0014.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Bay , H. , Tuytelaars , T. , and Van Gool , L. 2006
- Chang , F. , Chen , C.J. , and Lu , C.J. A lineartime component-labeling algorithm using contour tracing technique Computer Vision and Image Understanding 93 2 206 220 2004
- Chu , T.C. , Ranson , W.F. , and Sutton , M.A. Applications of digital-image-correlation techniques to experimental mechanics Experimental Mechanics 25 3 232 244 1985
- Hartley , R. and Zisserman , A. Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision Cambridge university press 2003
- Kim , H. , Hong , S. , Hong , S. , Huh , H. , Motors , K.I.A. , and Kwangmyung-Shi , K.D. 2004
- Kitagawa , Y. , Ichikawa , H. , King , A.I. , and Levine , R.S. 1998 A severe ankle and foot injury in frontal crashes and its mechanism Proc. of 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Lichtenberger , R. and Schreier , H. Contactless and full field 3D-deformation measurement for impact and crash test Article 1 8 2005
- Lupton , T. and Sukkarieh , S. Visual-inertial-aided navigation for high-dynamic motion in built environments without initial conditions IEEE Transactions on Robotics 28 1 61 76 2011
- McClenathan , R.V. , Nakhla , S.S. , McCoy , R.W. , and Chou , C.C. Use of photogrammetry in extracting 3d structural deformation/dummy occupant movement time history during vehicle crashes Safety Test Methodology and Structural Crashworthiness 736 742 2005
- Pan , J.W. , Cheng , J.Q. , and Furukawa , T. Data fusion of probabilistic full-field measurements for material characterization Key Engineering Materials 462 686 691 2011
- Panahandeh , G. and Jansson , M. Vision-aided inertial navigation based on ground plane feature detection IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 19 4 1206 1215 2013
- Rentschler , W. and Uffenkamp , V. Digital photogrammetry in analysis of crash test Advances in Safety Technology 1 13 1999
- Schmidt , T.E. , Tyson , J. , Galanulis , K. , Revilock , D.M. , and Melis , M.E. 2005 Full-field dynamic deformation and strain measurements using highspeed digital cameras 26th International Congress on High-Speed Photography and Photonics
- Szeliski , R. Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications Springer Science & Business Media 2010
- Wester-Ebbinghaus , W. , and Wezel , U.E. 1986 Photogrammetric Deformation Measurement of Crash Vehicles SAE Technical Paper
- Yang , K.H. , and Chou , C.C. 2015