Nonlinear IMM-SUKF Algorithm for Maneuvering Target Tracking with Bearings-Only Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 30, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
In this paper, we present an efficient filtering algorithm to perform accurate estimation in jump Markov nonlinear systems, which we aim to contribute in solving the problem of model-based body motion estimation using bearings-only measurement, the Interacting Multiple Model (IMM) algorithm is specially designed to track accurately maneuvering targets whose state and/or measurement (assumed to be linear) models change during motion transition. However, when these models are nonlinear, the IMM algorithm must be modified in order to guarantee an accurate track. In this paper we propose to avoid the Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) because of its limitations and substitute it with the Scaled Unscented Kalman Filter (SUKF) which seems to be more efficient especially according to the simulation results obtained with the Interacting Multiple Model Scaled Unscented Kalman Filter (IMM-SUKF).
CitationSebbagh, A. and Kechida, S., "Nonlinear IMM-SUKF Algorithm for Maneuvering Target Tracking with Bearings-Only Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-6005, 2019.
- Ye, M., Anderson, B.D.O., and Yu, C. , “Bearing-Only Measurement Self-Localization, Velocity Consensus and Formation Control,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace & Electronic Systems 53(2):575-586, 2017.
- Nardone, S.C., Lindgren, A.G., and Gong, K.F. , “Fundamental Properties and Performance of Conventional Bearings-Only Target Motion Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 29(9):775-787, 1984.
- Doucet, A., Godsill, S., and Andrieu, C. , “On Sequential Monte Carlo Methods for Bayesian Filtering,” Statistics and Computing 10:197-208, 2000.
- Fox, V., Hightower, J., Schulz, D. et al. , “Bayesian Filtering for Location Estimation,” IEEE Pervasive Computing 2(3):24-33, 2003.
- Li, L.Q. and Xie, W.X. , “Bearings-Only Maneuvering Target Tracking Based on Fuzzy Clustering in a Cluttered Environment,” International Journal of Electronics Communication 68(2):130-137, 2014.
- Cui, N., Hong, L., and Layne, J.R. , “A Comparison of Nonlinear Filtering Approaches with an Application to Ground Target Tracking,” Signal Processing 85(8):1469-1492, 2005.
- Toledo-Moreo, R., Zamora-Izquierdo, M.A., Ubeda-Mi~narro, B. et al. , “High-Integrity IMM-EKF-Based Road Vehicle Navigation with Low-Cost GPS/SBAS/INS,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 8(3):491-511, 2007.
- Zhao, S., Wang, Z., and Liu, F. , “State Estimation for Nonlinear Discrete-Time Systems with Markov Jumps and Nonhomogeneous Transition Probabilities,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, article ID 293456, 7 pages, 2013.
- Li, W. and Jia, Y. , “Location of Mobile Station with Maneuvers Using an IMM-Based Cubature Kalman Filter,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 59(11):4338-4348, 2012.
- Sheng, H., Zhao, W., and Wang, J. , “Interacting Multiple Model Tracking Algorithm Fusing Input Estimation and Best Linear Unbiased Estimation Filter,” IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation 11(1):70-77, 2017.
- Djouadi, M.S., Sebbagh, A., and Berkani, D. , “IMM Based UKF and IMM Based EKF Algorithms for Tracking Highly Maneuverable Target,” Architectural and Construction Science 15(1):19-51, 2005.
- Li, X.R. and Bar-Shalom, Y. , “Design of an Interacting Multiple Model Algorithm for Air Traffic Control Tracking,” IEEE Transactions on Control System 1(3):186-194, 1993.
- Petsios, M.N., Alivizatos, E.G., and Uzunoglu, N.K. , “Maneuvering Target Tracking Using Multiple Bistatic Range and Range Rate Measurements,” Signal Processing 87(4):665-686, 2007.
- Konatowski, S., Kaniewski, P., and Matuszewski, J. , “Comparison of Estimation Accuracy of EKF, UKF and PF Filters,” Annual Navigation 23(1):69-87, 2016.
- Julier, S.J., Uhlmann, J.K., and Durrant-Whyte, H.F. , “A New Method for the Nonlinear Transformation of Means and Covariances in Filters and Estimators,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 45(3):477-482, 2000.
- Wang, H., Kirubarajan, T., and Bar Shalom, Y. , “Precision Large Scale Air Traffic Surveillance Using an IMM Estimator with Assignment,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics 35(1):255-266, 1999.
- Sebbagh, A. and Tebbikh, H. , “Nonlinear Multiple Model Particle Filters Algorithm for Tracking Multiple Targets,” Architectural and Construction Science 21(1):37-60, 2011.
- Mazor, E., Averbuch, A., Bar-Shalom, Y. et al. , “Interacting Multiple Model Methods in Target Tracking: A Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 34(1):103-123, 1998.
- Sebbagh, A. and Tebbikh, H. , “Parallel Particle Filters for Multiple Target Tracking,” International Arab Journal of Information Technology 13(6):707-714, 2016.
- Foo, P.H. and Ng, G.W. , “Combining the Interacting Multiple Model Method with Particle Filters for Maneuvering Target Tracking,” IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation 5(3):234-255, 2011.
- Julier, S.J. and Uhlmann, J.K. , “A General Method for Approximating Nonlinear Transformations of Probability Distributions,” Technical Reports, Robotics Research Group, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, 1996. Available: http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/siju.
- Julier, S.J. and Uhlmann, J.K. , “Unscented Filtering and Nonlinear Estimation,” IEEE Proceedings 92(3):401-422, 2004.
- Julier, S.J. , “The Scaled Unscented Transformation,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference (IEEE Cat. No.CH37301), Anchorage, AK, 2002, 4555-4559, 6.
- Lefebvre, T., Bruyninchx, H., and Schutter, J.D. , “Comment on “A new method for the Nonlinear Transformation of Means and Covariances in Filters and Estimators”,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 47(8):1406-1409, 2002.
- Julier, S.J., and Uhlmann, J.K. , “A New Extension of the Kalman Filter to Nonlinear Systems,” in The 11th International Symposium on Aerospace/Defense Sensor, Simulation and Control, Orlando, FL, 1997.
- Julier, S.J., Uhlmann, J.K., and Durrant-Whyte, H.F. , “New Approach for Filtering Nonlinear Systems,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Seattle, WA, 1995, 1628-1632.
- Djouadi, M.S., Sebbagh, A., and Berkani, D. , A Nonlinear Algorithm for Maneuvering Target Visual-based Tracking,” in IEEE Proceedings of International Conference on Intel Sensor and Interface Process, Chennai, India, 2005, 61-66.
- Li, X.R. and Jilkov, V.P. , “Survey of Maneuvering Target Tracking. Part V: Multiple-Model Methods,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 41(4):1255-1321, 2005.