Aerodynamic Effect of Aspect Ratio of Spherical Depressions on the Bonnet of Hatchback Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 30, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Flow separation is one of the primary causes of increase in form drag in vehicles. This phenomenon is also visible in the case of lightweight vehicles moving at high speed, which greatly affects their aerodynamics. Spherical depressions maybe used to delay the flow separation and decrease drag in such vehicles. This study aims for optimization of aspect ratio (AR) of spherical depressions on hatchback cars. Spherical depressions were created on the bonnet of a generalized light vehicle Computer-Aided Design (CAD) model. The diameter of each spherical depression was set constant at 60 mm, and the center-to-center distance between consecutive spherical depressions is fixed at 90 mm. The AR of spherical depressions was taken as the parameter that was varied in each model. ARs 2, 4, 6, and 8 were considered for the current investigation. Three-dimensional (3D) CFD analyses were then performed on each of these models using a validated computational model. Vehicle travel velocities of 22, 24, 26, 28, and 30 m/s, which were nondimensionalized for scaling the results, were considered for analyses, in order to simulate the maximum travel velocity of light vehicles. Various parameters like the coefficient of drag, lift coefficient, and boundary layer separation were studied to investigate the impact of AR of spherical depressions on vehicle aerodynamics. A significant decrease in coefficient of drag was observed as a result of the addition of spherical depressions on the bonnet.
CitationKashyap, V., Arora, B., Bhattacharjee, S., and Mittal, P., "Aerodynamic Effect of Aspect Ratio of Spherical Depressions on the Bonnet of Hatchback Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5096, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gautam, S. , “What Factors Affect Average Fuel Economy of US Passenger Vehicles?,” Honors Projects, Paper 104, 2010.
- Hooker, J. , “Optimal Driving for Single-Vehicle Fuel Economy,” Transportation Research Part A: General 22:183-201, 1988.
- Mark, Y., Stewart, B., and Neville, S. , “Safe Driving in a Green World: A Review of Driver Performance Benchmarks and Technologies to Support ‘Smart’ Driving,” Applied Ergonomics 42:533-539, 2011.
- Corsair, H.J. , “Methods to Increase Fuel Efficiency in Post-Production Automobiles,” NITC-RR-737, Transportation Research and Education Center, Portland, OR, 2015.
- Abd-Alla, G.H. , “Using Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Internal Combustion Engines: A Review,” Journal of Energy Conversion and Management 43(8):1027-1042, 2002.
- Muyl, F., Dumas, L., and Herbert, V. , “Hybrid Method for Aerodynamic Shape Optimization in Automotive Industry,” Computers & Fluids 33(5):849-858, 2004.
- Hucho, W. and Sovran, G. , “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 25(1):485-537, 1993.
- Sivaraj, G., Parammasivam, K.M., and Suganya, G. , “Reduction of Aerodynamic Drag Force for Reducing Fuel Consumption in Road Vehicle Using Basebleed,” Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 11(6):1489-1495, 2018.
- Mukut, A.N.M.M.I. and Abedin, M.Z. , “Review on Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of Vehicles,” International Journal of Engineering Materials and Manufacture 4:1, 1-14, 2019.
- Altaf, A., Omar, A.A., and Asrar, W. , “Review of Passive Drag Reduction Techniques,” IIUM Engineering Journal 15(1):61-69, 2014.
- Alam, F., Steiner, T., Chowdhury, H., Moria, H. et al. , “A Study of Golf Ball Aerodynamic Drag,” Procedia Engineering 13:226-231, 2011.
- Srivastav, D. , “Flow Control over Airfoils Using Different Shaped Depressions,” in International Conference on Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics Technologies, 2012, 92-97.
- Stanly, R., Sagaram, S.B., Suneesh, S.S. and Kumar, S.V.S. , “Effect of Passive Flow Controlling Depressions on Drag Reduction and Improved Fuel Efficiency,” in 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Perth, Australia
- Grover, S., Arora, B.B., Khanna, V., Kaushik, T. et al. , “Analysis on Drag Reduction of Bluff Body Using Depressions,” IJAPIE-SI-IDCM 602:4-11, 2017.
- Wang, Y., Wu, C., Tan, G., and Deng, Y. , “Reduction in the Aerodynamic Drag around a Generic Vehicle by Using a Non-smooth Surface,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 231(1):130-144, 2017.
- Lanfrit, M. , “Best Practice Guidelines for Handling Automotive External Aerodynamics with FLUENT,” Fluent Deutschland GmbH, Darmstadt, Germany, 2005.
- Jones, W.P. and Launder, B.E. , “The Prediction of Laminarization with a Two-Equation Model of Turbulence,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 15:301-314, 1972.
- Ahmed, S.R., Ramm, G., and Faltin, G. , “Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake,” SAE Technical Paper 840300 , 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840300.
- Meile, W., Breen, G., Reppenhagen, A., Lechner, B. et al. , “Experiments and Numerical Simulations on the Aerodynamics of the Ahmed Body,” CFD Letters 3(1):32-39, 2011.
- Rao, Y., Feng, Y., Li, B., and Weigand, B. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of Heat Transfer and Flow Friction in Channels with Dimples of Different Shapes,” Journal of Heat Transfer 137(3):031901, 2015.
- Noor, M., Wandel, A., and Yusaf, F. , “Detail Guide for CFD on the Simulation of Biogas Combustion in Bluff-Body Mild Burner,” in International Conference on Mechanical Engineering Research, Malayasia, 2013.
- Cunningham, S., Burke, A., and Kelly, G. , “The Use of Mixture Model Theory in CFD for the Chemical Reaction between CO2 and Soda Lime in Closed Circuit Rebreather Scrubbers,” SpringerPlus 2:578, 2013.
- Baker, A. , “Lecture 7-Meshing Applied Computational Fluid Dynamics (Fluent),” 2002.
- Bhattacharjee, S., Arora, B.B., and Kashyap, V. , “Optimization of Racecar Front Splitter Using CFD,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5097 , 2019.
- Kashyap, V., Arora, B.B., and Bhattacharjee, S. , “Effect of Fender Coverage Angle on the Aerodynamic Drag of a Bicycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5086 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5086.
- Kashyap, V. and Bhattacharjee, S. , “Computational Analysis of Flap Camber and Ground Clearance in Double-Element Inverted Airfoils,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5065 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5065.
- ANSYS, Inc. , “ANSYS Fluent User’s Guide, Release 18.2,” 2018.