This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of a Tyre’s Rolling Resistance Using Parallel Rheological Framework
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 20, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Nowadays, rolling resistance sits at the core of tyre development goals because of its considerable effect on the car’s fuel economy. In contrast to the experimental method, the finite element (FE) method offers an inexpensive and efficient estimation technique. However, the FE technique is yet to be a fully developed product particularly for rolling-resistance estimation. An assessment is conducted to study the role of material viscoelasticity representation in FE, in linear and non-linear forms, through the use of Prony series and parallel rheological framework (PRF) models, respectively, on the tyre’s rolling-resistance calculation and its accuracy. A unique approach was introduced to estimate the rolling resistance according to the tyre’s hysteresis energy coefficient. The non-linear PRF choice resulted in rolling-resistance calculations that reasonably match that of the experimental work and the literature for various vertical load and inflation cases, whereas the Prony series option was found irresponsive to the tyre’s deformation in which it gave unreliable and infinitesimal outputs.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Jae, E. , “Data Directory: Future Market Insights on Specialty Silicas,” Tire Technology International 11:70-71, 2015.
- Lindemuth, B. , “Chapter 1: An Overview of Tire Technology,” The Pneumatic Tire, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, 2006, 1-27.
- Michelin, P. , The Tyre: Rolling Resistance and Fuel Savings (Clermont-Ferrand, France: Société de Technologie, 2003).
- Hall, D.E. and Moreland, J.C. , “Fundamentals of Rolling Resistance,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology. 74(3):525-539, 2001.
- Redrouthu, B.M. and Das, S. , Tyre Modelling for Rolling Resistance (Göteborg, Sweden: Chalmers University of Technology, 2014).
- Pillai, P.S. , “Effect of Tyre Overload and Inflation Pressure on Rolling Loss (Resistance) and Fuel Consumption of Automobile and Truck/Bus Tyres,” Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences. 11:406-412, 2004.
- Clark, S.K. and Dodge, R.N. , A Handbook for the Rolling Resistance of Pneumatic Tires (Ann Arbor, MI: Industrial Development Division: Institute of Science and Technology, The University of Michigan, 1979).
- Mavros, G. , Tyre Models for Vehicle Handling Analysis under Steady-State and Transient Manoeuvres (Loughborough, UK: Loughborough University, 2005).
- LaClair, T. , “Rolling Resistance,” in The Pneumatic Tire (Washington, DC: US department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2006), 475-532.
- Andersen, L.G., Larsen, J.K., Fraser, E.S., Schmidt, B., and Dyre, J.C. , “Rolling Resistance Measurement and Model Development,” Journal of Transportation Engineering 141(2):04014075, 2014.
- Ghoreishy, M.H.R. , “A State of the Art Review of the Finite Element Modelling of Rolling Tyres,” Iranian Polymer Journal 17(8):571-597, 2008.
- Hoever, C. , “The Simulation of Car and Truck Tyre Vibrations, Rolling Resistance and Rolling Noise,” Doctor of Philosophy, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 2014.
- Andersen, L.G. , “Rolling Resistance Modelling: From Functional Data Analysis to Asset Management System,” Roskilde Universitet, 2015.
- Ghosh, S. , “Investigation on Role of Fillers on Viscoelastic Properties of Tire Tread Compounds,” Doctor of Philosophy, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, India, 2011.
- Schuring, D. (ed.), “A New Look at the Definition of Tire Rolling Loss,” in Tire Rolling Losses and Fuel Economy-An R&D Planning Workshop, Warrendale, PA, 1977.
- Ghosh, P., Saha, A., and Mukhopadhyay, R. , “Prediction of Tyre Rolling Resistance Using FEA. Constitutive Models for Rubber,” 2003, 141-146.
- Cho, J., Lee, H., Jeong, W., Jeong, K., and Kim, K. , “Numerical Estimation of Rolling Resistance and Temperature Distribution of 3-D Periodic Patterned Tire,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 50(1):86-96, 2013.
- Luchini, J., Peters, J., and Arthur, R. , “Tire Rolling Loss Computation with the Finite Element Method,” Tire Science and Technology 22(4):206-222, 1994.
- Ebbott, T., Hohman, R., Jeusette, J.-P., and Kerchman, V. , “Tire Temperature and Rolling Resistance Prediction with Finite Element Analysis,” Tire Science and Technology 27(1):2-21, 1999.
- Shida, Z., Koishi, M., Kogure, T., and Kabe, K. , “A Rolling Resistance Simulation of Tires Using Static Finite Element Analysis,” Tire Science and Technology 27(2):84-105, 1999.
- Ma, G.-l., Xu, H., and W-y, C. , “Computation of Rolling Resistance Caused by Rubber Hysteresis of Truck Radial Tire,” Journal of Zhejiang University - Science A 8(5):778-785, 2007.
- Golbakhshi, H. and Namjoo, M. , “An Efficient Numerical Scheme for Evaluating the Rolling Resistance of a Pneumatic Tire,” International Journal of Automotive Engineering 5(2):1009-1015, 2015.
- Nandi, B., Dalrymple, T., Yao, J., and Lapczyk, I. (eds.), “Importance of Capturing Non-Linear Viscoelastic Material Behavior in Tire Rolling Simulations,” in The Meeting of the Tire Society, USA, September 8-10, 2014.
- Nyaaba, W., Frimpong, S., Somua-Gyimah, G., and Galecki, G. , FEA Prediction of Off-Road Tire Temperature Distribution. Science in the Age of Experience (Boston, MA: Dassault Systèmes, 2016).
- Hernandez, J.A., Al-Qadi, I.L., and Ozer, H. , “Baseline Rolling Resistance for Tires’ On-Road Fuel Efficiency Using Finite Element Modeling,” International Journal of Pavement Engineering 18(5):424-432, 2017.
- Kim, T.-W., Kim, H.-H., Jeong, H.-Y., Park, H.-C., Kim, Y.-H., and Choe, J.-H. , “Determination of Prony Series Parameters and Rolling Resistance Simulation of a Tire, in Yao, Z., Yuan, M., and Zhong, W. (eds.), in Sixth World Congress on Computational Mechanics in conjunction with the Second Asian-Pacific Congress on Computational Mechanics, Beijing, China (Beijing: Tsinghua University Press & Springer, 2004).
- Aldhufairi, H.S. and Olatunbosun, O.A. , “Developments in Tyre Design for Lower Rolling Resistance: A State of the Art Review,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 232(14):1865-1882, 2017.
- Wei, C., Olatunbosun, O.A., and Behroozi, M. , “Simulation of Tyre Rolling Resistance Generated on Uneven Road,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 70(2):113-136, 2016.
- Baranowski, P., Malachowski, J., Janiszewski, J., and Wekezer, J. , “Detailed Tyre FE Modelling with Multistage Validation for Dynamic Analysis,” Materials & Design 96:68-79, 2016.
- Chandra, S. , “Challenges in the Finite Element Analysis of Tire Design Using ABAQUS,” American Engineering Group, 2000.
- Yang, X. , “Finite Element Analysis and Experimental Investigation of Tyre Characteristics for Developing Strain-Based Intelligent Tyre System,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, 2011.
- Wei, C. , “A Finite Element Based Approach to Characterising Flexible Ring Tire (FTire) Model for Extended Range of Operating Conditions,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, 2015.
- ASTM D412 − 15a , “Standard Test Methods for Vulcanized Rubber and Thermoplastic Elastomers-Tension,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2016.
- Systèmes D , Abaqus Analysis User’s Guide. 2251 Hyperelastic Behavior of Rubberlike Materials (RI, USA: Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., 2013).
- ASTM. E328 - 13 , “Standard Test Methods for Stress Relaxation for Materials and Structures,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2014.
- Systèmes D , Abaqus Analysis User's Guide. 2271 Time Domain Viscoelasticity (RI, USA: Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., 2013).
- Systèmes D , Abaqus Analysis User’s Guide. 2282 Parallel Rheological Framework (RI, USA: Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., 2013).
- Obbink-Huizer, C. , “Simuleon FEA Blog Material Calibration Using Abaqus (and Isight),” [Internet], 2016, Available from: https://info.simuleon.com/blog/material-calibration-using-abaqus-and-isight, cited March 7, 2018.
- Connolly, S.J., MacKenzie, D., Comlekci, T. (eds.), “Multi-Objective Optimization of Hyperelastic Material Constants: A Feasibility Study,” in 10th European Conference on Constitutive Models for Rubbers, Munich (Germany: CRC Press/Balkema, 2017).
- ISO 18164:2005 , “Passenger Car, Truck, Bus and Motorcycle Tyres - Methods of Measuring Rolling Resistance,” International Standard, Switzerland, 2005.
- Hall, J., Smith, K.L., Titus-Glover, L., Wambold, J.C., Yager, T.J., Rado, Z. , “Guide for Pavement Friction,” Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, USA, 2009, Contract No.: 108.
- WJv, S. and Ilse, M. , “Evaluation of Tire/Surfacing/Base Contact Stresses and Texture Depth,” International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology 4(1):107-118, 2015.
- Michelin, P. , The Tyre Grip (Clermont-Ferrand, France: Société de Technologie Michelin, 2001).
- Henry, J.J. , Evaluation of Pavement Friction Characteristics (Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board, 2000).
- Katz, J. , Automotive Aerodynamics (Wast Sussex, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 2016).
- van Eldik, T.H., Dijks, A., and Bobo, S. , “Measurement of Tire Properties,” in Clark, S.K. (ed.), Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires, Vol. 8 (Washington, DC: Department of Transportation, 1981), 541-720.
- Bosch, R. , Automotive Handbook. Vol. 4th (Stuttgart, Germany: Bentley Publishers, 1996).
- Clark, J. and Schuring, D. , “Load, Speed and Inflation Pressure Effects on Rolling Loss Distribution in Automobile Tires,” Tire Science and Technology 16(2):78-95, 1988.
- ASTM. D885/D885M − 10a (2014) E1 , “Standard Test Methods for Tire Cords, Tire Cord Fabrics, and Industrial Filament Yarns Made from Manufactured Organic-Base Fibers,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2014.
- ASTM. D2969-04 , “Standard Test Methods for Steel Tire Cords,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2014.
- Fleming, R.A. and Livingston, D.I. , Tire Reinforcement and Tire Performance (Philadelphia, PA: ASTM International, 1979).
- Smith, E.H. , Mechanical Engineer’s Reference Book Twelfth Edition (Oxford, UK: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2013).
- Engineering-Department , Materials Data Book (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University, 2003), Available from: http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/library/enginfo/cueddatabooks/materials.pdf.
- Lin, Y.-J. and Hwang, S.-J. , “Temperature Prediction of Rolling Tires by Computer Simulation,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 67(3):235-249, 2004.
- Walter, J. , “Fuel Economy and Effective Mass: The Tire's Place in Fuel Economy,” Tire Technology International 3:16-17, 2016.
- Wang, H., Al-Qadi, I.L., and Stanciulescu, I. , “Effect of Surface Friction on Tire-Pavement Contact Stresses during Vehicle Maneuvering,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics 140(4):04014001, 2014.
- Systèmes D , Abaqus Analysis User's Guide. 633 Explicit Dynamic Analysis (RI, USA: Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., 2013).
- Tomita, H. , “Friction Coefficients between Tires and Pavements Surfaces,” U. S. Naval Civil Engineering Lab, Port Hueneme, CA, 1964, Report No.: R303.
- ADAMS M , “Material Contact Properties Table,” in MSC ADAMS Help Manual [Internet] (California: MSC Software Corporation, 2005).
- Systèmes D , Abaqus Analysis User's Guide. 3713 Contact Damping (RI, USA: Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., 2013).
- Juhala, M. , “14 - Improving Vehicle Rolling Resistance and Aerodynamics A2,” in Folkson, R. (ed.), Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicle Technologies for Improved Environmental Performance (Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing, 2014), 462-475.
- Khameneifar, F. and Arzanpour, S. (eds.), “Energy Harvesting from Pneumatic Tires Using Piezoelectric Transducers,” in ASME Conference Proceedings of SMASIS, Ellicott City, MD, 2008.
- Li, Z., Li, Z.R., and Xia, Y.M. , “An Implicit to Explicit FEA Solving of Tire F&M with Detailed Tread Blocks,” Tire Science and Technology 40(2):83-107, 2012.
- Dealy, J.M. and Wissbrun, K.F. , Melt Rheology and Its Role in Plastics Processing: Theory and Applications (Springer Science & Business Media, 2012).
- Pelayo F., Noriega A., Lamela M.-J., and Fernández-Canteli A. (eds.), “Comparison of Viscoelastic Moduli Fitting Using Optimization Methods,” ECF19, 2012.
- Narasimha Rao, K., Kumar, R.K., and Bohara, P. , “A Sensitivity Analysis of Design Attributes and Operating Conditions on Tyre Operating Temperatures and Rolling Resistance Using Finite Element Analysis,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 220(5):501-517, 2006.
- Akutagawa, K. , “Technology for Reducing Tire Rolling Resistance,” Tribology Online 12(3):99-102, 2017.