This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Towards High Accuracy Parking Slot Detection for Automated Valet Parking System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 04, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Highly accurate parking slot detection methods are crucial for Automated Valet Parking (AVP) systems, to meet their demanding safety and functional requirements. While previous efforts have mostly focused on the algorithms’ capabilities to detect different types of slots under varying conditions, i.e. the detection rate, their accuracy has received little attention at this time. This paper highlights the importance of trustworthy slot detection methods, which address both the detection rate and the detection accuracy. To achieve this goal, an accurate slot detection method and a reliable ground-truth slot measurement method have been proposed in this paper. First, based on a 2D laser range finder, datapoints of obstacle vehicles on both sides of a slot have been collected and preprocessed. Second, the Density-Based Spatial Clustering of Applications with Noise (DBSCAN) algorithm has been improved to efficiently cluster these unevenly-distributed datapoints. After that, the Random Sample Consensus (RANSAC) algorithm has been improved to accurately fit the vehicles’ longitudinal contours. Finally, the candidate slot has been constructed and checked for its rationality. The final slot detection results have been defined in a way that contains both the slot size information and the slot relative position to the ego vehicle, which increases the requirement for detection accuracy. The performance of the proposed slot detection method has been verified on a test vehicle, and the experimental results show that the maximum errors in the detected slots under different conditions are 11.86 cm (position) and 3.35 deg (orientation).
CitationYang, Q., Chen, H., Su, J., and Li, J., "Towards High Accuracy Parking Slot Detection for Automated Valet Parking System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5061, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5061.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Banzhaf, H., Nienhuser, D., Knoop, S., and Marius Zollner, J. , “The Future of Parking: A Survey on Automated Valet Parking with an Outlook on High Density Parking,” in 2017 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2017, doi:10.1109/ivs.2017.7995971.
- Choi, J., Chang, E., Yoon, D., Ryu, S. et al. , “Sensor Fusion-Based Parking Assist System,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0327 , 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0327.
- Suhr, J.K. and Jung, H.G. , “Automatic Parking Space Detection and Tracking for Underground and Indoor Environments,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 63(9):5687-5698, 2016, doi:10.1109/tie.2016.2558480.
- Chen, J.Y. and Hsu, C.M. , “A Visual Method Tor the Detection of Available Parking Slots,” in 2017 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), 2017, doi:10.1109/smc.2017.8123081.
- Lee, B., Wei, Y., and Guo, I.Y. , “Automatic Parking of Self-Driving Car Based on Lidar,” in ISPRS - International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information SciencesXLII-2/W7, 2017, 241-46, doi:10.5194/isprs-archives-xlii-2-w7-241 -2017.
- Li, L., Li, C., Zhang, Q., Guo, T., and Miao, Z. , “Automatic Parking Slot Detection Based on around View Monitor (AVM) Systems,” in 2017 9th International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP), 2017, doi:10.1109/wcsp.2017.8170903.
- Zong, W. and Chen, Q. , “A Robust Method for Detecting Parking Areas in Both Indoor and Outdoor Environments,” Sensors 18, no. 6, 2018, 1903, doi:10.3390/s18061903.
- Suhr, J. and Jung, H. , “A Universal Vacant Parking Slot Recognition System Using Sensors Mounted on Off-the-Shelf Vehicles,” Sensors 18(4):1213, 2018, doi:10.3390/s18041213.
- Suhr, J.k. and Jung, H.g. , “Sensor Fusion-based Precise Obstacle Localisation for Automatic Parking Systems,” Electronics Letters 54(7):445-447, 2018, doi:10.1049/el.2018.0196.
- Laribi, A., Hahn, M., Dickmann, J., and Waldschmidt, C. , “Vertical Doppler Beam Sharpening Goes Self Parking,” in 2018 IEEE Radar Conference (RadarConf18), 2018, doi:10.1109/radar.2018.8378589.
- Li, L., Zhang, L., Li, X., Liu, X. et al. , “Vision-Based Parking-Slot Detection: A Benchmark and a Learning-Based Approach,” in 2017 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 2017, doi:10.1109/icme.2017.8019419.
- Zhang, L., Huang, J., Li, X., and Xiong, L. , “Vision-Based Parking-Slot Detection: A DCNN-Based Approach and a Large-Scale Benchmark Dataset,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 27(11):5350-5364, 2018, doi:10.1109/tip.2018.2857407.
- Jung, H.G., Cho, Y.H., Yoon, P.J., and Kim, J. , “Scanning Laser Radar-Based Target Position Designation for Parking Aid System,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 9(3):406-424, 2008, doi:10.1109/tits.2008.922980.
- Jeong, S.H., Choi, C.G., Oh, J.N., Yoon, P.J. et al. , “Low Cost Design of Parallel Parking Assist System Based on an Ultrasonic Sensor,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 11(3):409-416, 2010, doi:10.1007/s12239-010-0050-0.
- Lee, S. and Seo, S.-W. , “Available Parking Slot Recognition Based on Slot Context Analysis,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems 10(9):594-604, 2016, doi:10.1049/iet-its.2015.0226.
- Hamada, K., Hu, Z., Fan, M., and Chen, H. , “Surround View Based Parking Lot Detection and Tracking,” in 2015 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2015, doi:10.1109/ivs.2015.7225832.
- Lee, S., Hyeon, D., Park, D., Baek, I.J. et al. , “Directional-DBSCAN: Parking-slot Detection Using a Clustering Method in Around-view Monitoring System,” in 2016 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2016, doi:10.1109/ivs.2016.7535409.
- Han, S.J. and Choi, J. , “Parking Space Recognition for Autonomous Valet Parking Using Height and Salient-Line Probability Maps,” ETRI Journal 37(6):1220-1230, 2015, doi:10.4218/etrij.15.0114.0112.
- Ester, M., Kriegel, H.-P., Sander, J., and Xiaowei, X. , “A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise,” Kdd 96(34):226-231, 1996, doi:10.5120/739-1038.
- Liu, B. . “A Fast Density-Based Clustering Algorithm for Large Databases,” in 2006 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 2006, doi:10.1109/icmlc.2006.258531.
- Cheng, W. and Wu, J. , “An Improvement of DBSCAN Algorithm to Obstacles Detection for Stop & Go,” in Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Informatics, 2015, doi:10.2991/ameii-15.2015.138.
- Tsai, C.F., Wu, C.T., and Chen, S. , “Gfdbscan; A New Efficient and Effective Data Clustering Technique for Large Databases,” in WSEAS International Conference. Proceedings. Mathematics and Computers in Science and Engineering, no. 9. World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society, 2009.
- Mahran, S. and Mahar, K. , “Using Grid for Accelerating Density-based Clustering,” in 2008 8th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, 2008, doi:10.1109/cit.2008.4594646.
- Borah, B., and Bhattacharyyam, D.K. , :An Improved Sampling-based DBSCAN for Large Spatial Databases,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Sensing and Information Processing, 2004, doi:10.1109/icisip.2004.1287631.
- Fan, Z. and Chen, H. , “Study on Path Following Control Method for Automatic Parking System Based on LQR,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 10(1):41-49, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01- 1881.
- Park, W.J., Kim, B.S., Seo, D.E., Kim, D.S. et al. , “Parking Space Detection Using Ultrasonic Sensor in Parking Assistance System,” in 2008 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2008, doi:10.1109/ivs.2008.4621296.
- Fischler, M.A. and Bolles, R.C. , “Random Sample Consensus: A Paradigm for Model Fitting with Applications to Image Analysis and Automated Cartography,” Communications of the ACM 24(6):381-395, 1981, doi:10.1145/358669.358692.
- Wang, Y. , “Study on Range Radar Based IPAS Parking Space Detection Technologies,” Master’s thesis, School of Automotive Studies, University of Tongji, Shanghai, 2016.
- Guo, Y. , “Study on Vehicle Pose Estimation for Fully-Automatic Parking Assist System,” Master’s thesis, School of Automotive Studies, University of Tongji, Shanghai, University of Tongji, 2016.
- Seaborn , “Seaborn.boxplot,” Plotting a Diagonal Correlation Matrix - Seaborn 0.9.0 Documentation, https://seaborn.pydata.org/generated/seaborn.boxplot.html, accessed Feb. 2019.