This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of a Novel Magnetorheological Fluid Dual Clutch for Electric Vehicle Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 18, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
A novel magnetorheological fluid dual clutch (MRFDC) for electric vehicle transmission is proposed in this article. The structure was based on the MR fluid clutch and traditional dual clutch equipped on internal combustion engine vehicle. Therefore the MRFDC combines the advantages of MR fluid clutch and dual clutch transmission (DCT) to achieve high control accuracy and fast response. The structure of MRFDC was designed by Unigraphics (UG) three-dimensional (3D) modeling software. Then, finite element analysis (FEA) for magnetic field was conducted by ANSYS under different applied currents from 0.1A to 1A with 0.1A space to obtain the relation between the applied current and magnetic field. In this article, Herschel-Bulkley model is used to predict the MR fluid behavior because of the high shear rate of MR fluid. Finally, output torque of MRFDC can be estimated by calculus with geometric dimensions of MRFDC structure and rheological properties of MR fluid dependent on the magnetic field generated by the applied current. Finally the relation between the applied current and output torque of the internal clutch and external clutch can be obtained, respectively. Simulation results show that the relation between the output torque and the applied current can be considered linear for internal clutch under 0-1.0A current excitation. While the applied current is below 0.3A, the relation for external clutch can also be considered as linear. Thus, it is easy to use linear control methods to achieve gear shift based on mathematical models of MRFDC by controlling the applied current through the coil of the dual clutch under the requirement of achieving the maximum driving torque.
CitationZhang, H., Du, H., Sun, S., Li, W. et al., "Design and Analysis of a Novel Magnetorheological Fluid Dual Clutch for Electric Vehicle Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5014, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5014.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Bucchi , F. , Forte , P. , Frendo , F. , and Squarcini , R. A Magnetorheological Clutch for Efficient Automotive Auxiliary Device Actuation Frattura ed Integrita Strutturale 7 23 62 74 2013
- Bucchi , F. , Forte , P. , Frendo , F. , Musolino , A. et al. A Fail-Safe Magnetorheological Clutch Excited by Permanent Magnets for the Disengagement of Automotive Auxiliaries Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 25 16 2102 2114 2014
- Rizzo , R. , Musolino , A. , Bucchi , F. , Forte , P. et al. A Multi-Gap Magnetorheological Clutch with Permanent Magnet Smart Materials and Structures 24 7 075012 2015
- Rizzo , R. , Musolino , A. , Bucchi , F. , Forte , P. et al. Magnetic FEM Design and Experimental Validation of an Innovative Fail-Safe Magnetorheological Clutch Excited by Permanent Magnets IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 29 3 628 640 2014
- Kavlicoglu , B.M. et al. High-Torque Magnetorheological Fluid Clutch Smart Structures and Materials 2002: Damping and Isolation International Society for Optics and Photonics 2002 393 401
- Zhu , B. , Zhang , N. , Walker , P. , Zhan , W. et al. Two-Speed DCT Electric Powertrain Shifting Control and Rig Testing Advances in Mechanical Engineering 5 323917 2013
- Walker , P. , Zhu , B. , and Zhang , N. Powertrain Dynamics and Control of a Two Speed Dual Clutch Transmission for Electric Vehicles Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 85 1 15 2017
- Chen , D. , Xu , J. , Pan , J. , Guo , X. et al. Research and Prospect of Automobile Magneto-Rheological Fluid Dual Clutch Transmission Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Electronic &Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology Shenyang, China 2012 98 102
- Nguyen , Q. and Choi , S. Optimal Design of a Novel Hybrid MR Brake for Motorcycles Considering Axial and Radial Magnetic Flux Smart Materials and Structures 21 5 055003 2012
- Zubieta , M. , Eceolaza , S. , Elejabarrieta , M. , and Bou-Ali , M. Magnetorheological Fluids: Characterization and Modeling of Magnetization Smart Materials and Structures 18 9 095019 2009
- Nguyen , Q. and Choi , S. Optimal Design of an Automotive Magnetorheological Brake Considering Geometric Dimensions and Zero-Field Friction Heat Smart Materials and Structures 19 11 115024 2010