Long Reach Boom Design for the Caterpillar Excavator (CAT 375L)
Published January 28, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Excavator is a typical hydraulic heavy-duty human-operated machine applicable in general versatile construction operation, such as digging, ground leveling, carrying loads, and dumping loads . The aim of this article is to establish the design process of a new long reach boom for the Caterpillar excavator (CAT 375) for dredging in harbors and dams. The length of both the boom and the stick in extended mode can reach up to the maximum digging depth of 17.2 m. The capacity of the bucket for this new model of long reach boom is 0.8 m3. Among common reach booms of CAT 375L, the maximum digging depth is 11.68 m . In the current design, the lengths of boom and stick as well as the material properties were selected based on the maximum pressure of hydraulic circuit and stability against overturning of excavator. This special long reach boom excavator was used in Assalouyeh construction harbor.
CitationGholami, M. and Bathaee, K., "Long Reach Boom Design for the Caterpillar Excavator (CAT 375L)," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5008, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5008.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Patel, B.P. and Prajapati, J.M. , “Evaluation of Bucket Capacity, Digging Force Calculations and Static Force Analysis of Mini Hydraulic Backhoe Excavator,” Machine Design 4:59-66, 2012.
- Anon, G. , Caterpillar Performance Handbook (Illinois, USA: Caterpillar, 1997).
- Shapiro, H.I., Shapiro, J.P., and Shapiro, L.K. , Cranes and Derricks (McGraw Hill, 1999). ISBN:0-07-0577.
- International Organization for Standardization ISO 7451 , Earth-Moving Machinery-Volumetric Ratings for Hoe-Type and Grab-Type Buckets of Hydraulic Excavator and Backhoe Loaders, Velika Britanija: Technical Committee ISO/TC 127/SC 1, 2007.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Hydraulic Excavator and Backhoe Digging Forces,” SAE Standard J1179, 400 Commonwealth Drive, Warrendale, PA, 1990, 1.
- Dae, S.H., Sung, W.Y., Hyun, S.Y., Myung, H.K. et al. , “Coupling Analysis of Finite Element and Finite Volume Method for the Design and Construction of FPSO Crane,” Journal of Automation in Construction 368-379, 2011.
- Boiler, A. and Code P.V. , Section II Materials, Part D-Properties, 1998.
- Boiler, A. and Code P.V. , Section VIII division II, appendix 2 American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 2007.
- AWS, A. , D1. 1-Structural Welding Code-Steel, American Welding Society, 2004.