This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Investigation of the Structure and Origins of Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Deposits.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The legislative pressures on environmental targets combined with fuel economy requirements have led to the GDI engine enjoying a renaissance. This is because the technology is considered to be the leader in meeting those requirements. However it is also recognized that the engine suffers from injector deposits (ID) and that understanding the formation of and characterization of such deposits is required. This study will deal with the characterization and morphology of injector deposits as well as the fuel constituents leading to such deposits. A number of analytical techniques were used to undertake this such as Scanning Electron microscopy and X-ray Fluorescence (SEM/EDS) mapping with Fourier Transform Infra-red mapping, in conjunction with mass spectrometry studies. Further, work will be described regarding new deposit control additives (DCAs) for GDI which are more effective than traditional DCAs.
CitationReid, J., Mulqueen, S., Langley, G., Wilmot, E. et al., "The Investigation of the Structure and Origins of Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Deposits.," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2356, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2356.
- P. Richards, “Automotive Fuels Reference Book,” . In: 3rd Edition SAE2014.
- J. T. Marshall, “Direct injection For Wright Eighteen Cylinder Engine,“ SAE Technical Paper 480018, 1948.
- G. Hartmann "Les moteurs et aéroplanes Antoinette" Antoinette engines and aeroplanes. https://kimerius.com accessed 16-04-2019
- R van Basshuysen, “ Ottomotoren mit Direkteinspritzung. Verfahren, Systeme Entwicklung, Potenzial", Friedr. Vieweg & Sohn Verlag, GWV Fachverlage GmbH , Wiesbaden. April 2007.
- C.F. Taylor, E.S. Taylor and G.L. Williams “Fuel Injection with “Spark Ignition in an Otto cycle Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 310005 1931.
- S.E. Miller, “Automotive Gasoline Injection” SAE Technical Paper 560321, 1956.
- H. Manger, “Electronic Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper 820903, 1982.
- L.L. Bowler, “Throttle Body Fuel Injection (TBI)- An integrated Engine Control System,” SAE Technical Paper 800164, 1980.
- K. Takeda, K. Shiozawa, K. Oishi , and T. Inoue, “Toyota Central Injection (Ci) System for Lean Combustion and High Transient Response,“ SAE Technical Paper 851675, 1985.
- J.R. Asik, D. A. Dobson and G.M. Meyer, “Suppression of Sulphide Emission During Lean Nox Trap Desulphurisation,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1299, 2001.
- US Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Fact #869, https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-869. Accessed 14-04-2019.
- https://www.theicct.org.accessed 14004-2019
- http://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/tech-tips/fuel-trim-can-be-a-valuable-diagnostic-tool/. Accessed 14-04-2019
- https://www.cectests.org.Accessed 14-4-2019
- https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/fuel-injectors/gasoline-direct-injection; accessed: 2808-2018
- K. Dearn, J. Xu, H. Ding, H. Xu, et al., “An Investigation into the Characteristics of DISI Injector Deposits Using Advanced Analytical Methods,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-272.
- A. Berndorfer, “S., Breur, W. Piock, P . In: von Bacho “Combustion Phenomena in GDi engines Caused by Injection Processes” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0261. (2013).
- H. Xu, C. Wang, X. Ma, A.K. Sarangi, A. Weall, J. Krueger-Venus, “Fuel Injector Deposits in Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engines”, Prog. Energy Combust.Sci., 50, 63-80, 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.pecs.2015.02.002
- F. Pradelle, S. L. Braga, A. R. F. A. Martins, F. Turkovics, R.N.C. Pradelle, “Certainties and Challenges in Modeling Unwashed and Washed Gums Formation in Brazilian Gasoline-ethanol Blends”, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 122, 77-96, 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.cherd.2017.03.037
- F. Pradelle, S.L. Braga, A. R. F. A. Martins, F. Turkovics, , and R. N. C. Pradelle,, “Gum Formation in Gasoline and Its Blends: A Review,” Energy & Fuels 29(12):7753-7770, 2015, doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.5b01894.
- M. Kinoshita, A. Saito, S. Matsushita, H. Shibata , and Y. Niwad, “Study of Deposit Formation Mechanism on Gasoline Injection Nozzle,” JSAE Rev 19(4):355-357, 1998, doi:10.1016/S0389-430 4(98)00033-2.
- X. Zhang., G. Peng, G. Du, X. Sun,G. Jiang , x. Zeng P. Sun, B. Deng,H. Xie, Z Wu, T Xiao, “Investigating the Microstructures of Piston Carbon Deposits in a Large-Scale Marine Diesel Engine Using Synchroton X-Ray Microtomography.” Fuel,142, 173-179 , 2014.
- S.S. Cheng “A micrographical Study of Deposit Formation Processes in a Combustion Chamber”SAE technical Paper 962008, 1996.
- G.M. Reed, R. Wilson, R. Juskaitis , and M.A.A. Neil,, “Surface Profiling of Combustion Chamber Deposits Using Aperture Correlation Confocal Microscopy,” J. Microsc 189(3):188-191, 1998.
- W. M. Studzinski, J.M. Cummings, “Reference Fuel Composition”. US8764854 B1, 2014
- F. Pradelle, S. Braga, A.R.F.A. Martins, F. Turkovics,R.N.C..; Pradelle, “Gum Formation in Gasoline and Its Blends: A Review”. Energ Fuel, 29, (12), 7753-7770,2015.
- I. Di Somma, R. Marotta, R.;Andreozzi, Caprio V., “Dicumyl Peroxide Thermal Decomposition in Cumene: Development of a Kinetic Model”. Ind Eng, Chem.Res. , 51, (22), 7493-7499 2012.
- S Koster, M.C.; Dursma, J.J..; Boon, R.M.A. Heeren,, “Endgroup Determination of Synthetic Polymers by Electrospray Ionization Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometry.” J. Am. Soc .Mass Spectr. 11,(6),536-543 2000
- T/ Lynch, S Whitmarsh, C.; Wicking,, “In Selective Ionisation With High Resolution Mass Spectrometry - The Future for Hyphenation in the Petrochemical Industry?” HTC-14, Ghent, Belgium; Ghent, Belgium, 2016
- A. Aradi, W. Colucci, H. Scull and M. Openshaw, “A Study of Fuel Additives for Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Injector Deposit Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2020, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2020.
- A. Aradi, J. Evans, K. Miller, A. and Hotchkiss, "Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Injector Deposit Control with Additives," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2024, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2024.
- A. Joedicke, J. Krueger-Venus, P Bohr, R, Cracknell, et al., " Understanding the Effect of DISI Injector Deposits on Vehicle Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0391, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0391.
- D. Arters, and M. Macduff, “The Effect on Vehicle Performance of Injector Deposits in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2021, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2021.
- A. Prakash, E. Nelson, A. Jones, J. Macias, et al., “Particulate Mass Reduction and Clean-up of DISI Injector Deposits via Novel Fuels Additive Technology,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2847, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2847.
- C. Wang H. Xu J. Herreros J. Wang R. Cracknell “Impact of Fuel and Injection and Injection Systems on Particle Emmisions from a GDI engine” Applied Energy 132,178-191 2014. https:/doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.06.012.