This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental study of cylinder oil stripping behavior at the scavenge port of a low-speed two-stroke engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The stripping of cylinder oil at the scavenging ports of low-speed two-stroke marine engines is one of the main sources of floating oil droplets existing in cylinders. The combustion of these oil droplets is one of the major reasons of PM emissions and pre-ignition for dual-fuel engines. In order to investigate the stripping behavior, a prototype model and a test bench were set up to carry out the experiment of cylinder oil stripping behavior and single droplet deformation under different conditions. Meanwhile, a CFD model was established to analyze the actual scavenging flow field, and the verification results were obtained: in the case of excessive lubrication, a considerable amount of cylinder oil remains on the upper surface of the scavenge ports. Such cylinder oil can be blown into the cylinder when the ports are opened. Then the oil droplets floating in the cylinder or attaching to the exhaust valve form potential spontaneous combustion points, which leads to the worsening of PM emissions and the threat of pre-ignition, the most harmful abnormal combustion for Otto-cycle dual-fuel engines.
- Min Pan - Dalian University of Technology
- Liyan Feng - Dalian University of Technology
- Zhen Gong - Dalian University of Technology
- Zhengran Yu - Dalian University of Technology
- Hongjie Sun - Dalian University of Technology
- Zixin Wang - Dalian University of Technology
- Peng Yan - Dalian University of Technology
CitationPan, M., Feng, L., Gong, Z., Yu, Z. et al., "Experimental study of cylinder oil stripping behavior at the scavenge port of a low-speed two-stroke engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2335, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2335.
- Nylund I, Ott M . Development of a Dual Fuel technology for slow-speed engines[C]. Proceedings of the 25th CIMAC Congress. Shanghai, 2013: Paper No. 284.
- Klausner J. The gas engine of the future—innovative combustion and high compression ratios for highest efficiencies[C]. CIMAC Congress, 2010, Bergen.
- Yasueda S, Takasaki K, Tajima H . The Abnormal Combustion Affected by Lubricating Oil Ignition in Premixed Gas Engine[C]. ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference. 2012.
- Feng L, Liu C, Wu Y . Study on Abnormal Combustion Caused by Cylinder Oil Auto-ignition in Low-Speed Two-Stroke Dual-Fuel Marine Main Engine[J]. Diesel Engine, 2017, 39(1):1-5 .
- Hirose T, Masuda Y, Yamada T, et al . Technical Challenge for the 2-Stroke Premixed Combustion Gas Engine (Pre-ignition Behavior and Overcoming Technique)[C]. Proceedings of the 25th CIMAC Congress. Shanghai, 2013: Paper No. 424.
- Kim, S, Jin W H, Chang S L. Experiments and modeling on droplet motion and atomization of diesel and bio-diesel fuels in a cross-flowed air stream[J]. International Journal of Heat & Fluid Flow, 2010, 31(4):667-679.
- Joseph D D, Belanger J, Beavers G S . Breakup of a liquid drop suddenly exposed to a high-speed airstream[J]. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1996, 25(318):1263-1303.
- Huo Y, Wang J, Mao W, et al. Measurement and investigation on the deformation and air-assisted breakup of charged droplet[J]. Flow Measurement & Instrumentation, 2012, 27(3):92-98.
- Liu C, Jin R, Liu Y, et al. Experimental Investigation on Flow Mechanism of Single Droplet Deformation and Breakage[J]. Aeroengine, 2016, 42(4):87-92.
- Larsson P, Lennard W, Andersson O, and Tunestal P. A Droplet Size Investigation and Comparison Using a Novel Biomimetic Flash-Boiling Injector for AdBlue Injections. SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2211, 2016.
- Gupta A, Shao H, Remias J, Roos J. et al. Relative Impact of Chemical and Physical Properties of the Oil-Fuel Droplet on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines. SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2278, 2016.
- Leng M, Chang S, and Zhao Y. Dynamic Effects of Surface Wettability on Wind Driven Droplet. SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2157, 2015.
- Gong H, Hu Z, Zhang Y, Yang Q. et al. Evaporation Characteristics of n-Heptane Droplet Streams in a Heated Air Channel Flow. SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0843, 2016.
- Maharjan S, Qahtani Y, Roberts W, and Elbaz A. The Effect of Pressure, Temperature and Additives on Droplet Ignition of Lubricant Oil and Its Surrogate. SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1673, 2018.
- Wang L . The Marine Lubricating Oil (3)[J]. LUBRICATING OIL 2001, 16(1).
- Zhai J. 3-D CFD Simulation of the Working Process of a Low-speed Two-stroke Marine Engine. Dalian: Dalian University of Technology, 2015.