This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Ring Conformability under Bore Deformation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study proposes a method to calculate the limit of piston ring conformability to deformed bore based on measured gas leakage flow rate through ring-bore gap and calculated gap area using a test device that allows the creation of arbitrary bore deformation. As a result, it was clarified that predicted conformability can be matched with measured value by modifying a constant value in the conformability equation for a single order bore deformation proposed by Dunaevsky and Tomanik et al. Furthermore, it has been confirmed experimentally that the conformability limit index ∑U for the complex bore deformation proposed by Tomanik is valid. Using ∑U, area of gap between piston ring and deformed bore under engine operating condition was calculated to derive the relationship between blow-by gas flow rate.
CitationSuzuki, T. and Yaguchi, H., "Study on Ring Conformability under Bore Deformation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2334, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2334.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- H. Hitosugi Study on Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption Caused by Cylinder Bore Deformation SAE paper 960305
- E , Tomanik Piston Ring Conformability in a Distorted Bore SAE paper 960356
- T. Bardzimashvili A Multiple Order Conformability Model for Uniform Cross-Section Piston Rings SAE paper 2005-01-1643
- R. Muller Zur frage des fomuellungsvermoegens von kolbenringen in von der kreisform abweichenden bohrungen gleicher umfanglaenge MTZ 31 79 82 1970
- V. V. Dunaevsky Analysis of distortions of cylinder and conformability of piston rings Tribology Transactions 33 1 33 40 1990
- S , Furuhama On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings(1 st Report, The Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas) Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 27 174 240 247 1961
- E , Tomanik Improved Criterion for Ring Conformability Under Realistic Bore Deformation SAE paper 2 009-01-190
- S , Ichinose Development of Measurement System for Cylinder Bore Shape under Operation using the New Digital Telemeter Proceeding of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 2018