This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
One-Dimensional Modelling And Mixing Process Analysis of Diesel Spray with Multiple-Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Multiple-injection strategy widely used in modern diesel engines can control the in-cylinder mixing process and adjust the combustion process to fit the engine operating conditions. This study uses a one-dimensional spray model with improved injection velocity calculation and determination of spray tip to simulate the diesel spray with multiple-injection. Then the calculated spray penetrations are compared to the experimental data to validate the developed spray model. Analysis is performed on mixing process of diesel spray with multiple-injection using entrainment rate, equivalence ratio, velocity over cross-section, with the spray-to-spray interaction revealed and the entrainment wave effects on spray-to-spray interaction discussed.
CitationLiu, L., Mei, Q., and Xiong, Q., "One-Dimensional Modelling And Mixing Process Analysis of Diesel Spray with Multiple-Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2325, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2325.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Y Hotta, M Inayoshi, K Nakakita, et al. Achieving Lower Exhaust Emissions and Better Performance in an HSDI Diesel Engine with Multiple Injection[J].SAE Paper, 2005-01-0928.
- Badami M, Mallamo F, Millo F, et al. Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine [J].SAE Paper, 2002-01-0503.
- Mendez S, Thirouard B Using Multiple Injection Strategies in Diesel Combustion: Potential to Improve Emissions, Noise and Fuel Economy Trade-off in Low CR Engines [J]. SAE Paper, 2008-01-1329.
- Pierpont DA, Montgomery D, Reitz RD . Reduction of Diesel Soot and NOx Emissions Using EGR and Multiple Injections. SAE Paper, 950217.
- Montgomery DT, Reitz RD. Six-mode Cycle Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and Multiple Injections on Particulate and NOx Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine. SAE Paper, 960316.
- Su Wanhua, Zhao Kuihan, Wang Jinhua . Effect of Injection Pressure and Wall Interference on Spray Mixing Process [J]. Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering, 1992(01):1-5.
- Ma T, Feng L, Wang H, Liu H, Yao M. A Numerical Study of Spray/Wall Impingement Based on Droplet Impact Phenomenon. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 112 (2017), pp. 401-412.
- Naber JD , Siebers DL. Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays. SAE Paper, 960034.
- Tennison PJ, Georjon TL, Farrell PV, Reitz RD . An Experimental and Numerical Study of Sprays from a Common Rail Injection System for Use in an HSDI Diesel Engine. SAE Paper, 980810 .
- Desantes JM, Payri R, Salvador FJ, Soare V . Study of the Influence of Geometrical and Injection Parameters on Diesel Sprays Characteristics in Isothermal Conditions. SAE Paper, 2005-01-0913.
- Lee CH, Reitz RD . CFD Simulations of Diesel Spray Tip Penetration with Multiple Injections and with Engine Compression Ratios up to 100:1 [J]. Fuel, 2013, 111:289-297.
- Han Z, Reitz RD . Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG k-ε Models. Combust. Sci. and Tech., vol. 106, pp. 267-295, 1995.
- Han Z, Uludogan A, Hampson JH, Reitz RD . Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple Injection in a Diesel Engine. SAE Paper, 960633.
- Musculus M, Kattke K. Entrainment Waves in Diesel Jets. SAE Paper, 2009-01-1355.
- Pastor J, López J, García J, Pastor J . A 1D Model for the Description of Mixing-Controlled Inert Diesel Sprays [J]. Fuel, 2008, 87: 2871-2885.
- Dhar A, Tauzia X, Maiboom A. Phenomenological Models for Prediction of Spray Penetration and Mixture Properties for Different Injection Profiles [J]. Fuel, 2016, 171:136-142.
- Aljure A, Tauzia X, Maiboom A . Comparison of Eulerian and Lagrangian 1D Models of Diesel Fuel Injection and Combustion. SAE Paper, 2017-24-0006.
- Desantes JM, García-Oliver José M, García Antonio, Tiemin, X . Optical Study on Characteristics of Non-Reacting and Reacting Diesel Spray with Different Strategies of Split Injection. International Journal of Engine Research, 2018.
- Abani N, Kokjohn S, Park SW, Bergin M, Munnannur A, Ning W, Sun Y, Reitz RD . An Improved Spray Model for Reducing Numerical Parameter Dependencies in Diesel Engine CFD Simulations. SAE Paper, 2008-01-0970.
- Lee CH, Wang Y, Reitz RD . CFD Simulation of Diesel Sprays over a Wide Range of Ambient Gas Densities Using an Improved Gas Jet Spray Model. Atomization Sprays 2011;21(7):591-609.
- Amsden A. KIVA-3V, A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves.LA-13313-MS, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1997.