This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Novel electrochemical capacitors with high-energy density using intercalated metal-organic framework electrodes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The energy-density improvement of capacitors while maintaining high power, long-term-cycle stability and safety is challenging. Asymmetric capacitors using non-faradaic and intercalation electrodes are proposed in order to achieve this. However the reported asymmetric capacitors with graphite-based negative electrode have a safety risk, which is an internal short circuit due to Li deposition when further high-energy density is performed. Here asymmetric capacitors consisting of intercalated metal-organic frameworks (iMOFs) negative operating potential range of 0.5-1.0 V vs. Li/Li+ that enable Li deposition reduction and activated carbon positive electrodes is proposed to construct a high volumetric energy (ca. 60 Wh L-1) and power densities with safety.
CitationOgihara, N., "Novel electrochemical capacitors with high-energy density using intercalated metal-organic framework electrodes," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2260, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2260.
- Ogihara, N.; Yasuda, T.; Kishida, Y.; Ohsuna, T.; Ohba, N. , Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2014, 53, 11467-11472.
- Yasuda, T.; Ogihara, N. Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 11565-11567.
- Ogihara, N.; Ozawa, Y.; Hiruta, O. J. Mater. Chem. A 2016, 4, 3398-3405.
- Salanne, M.; Rotenberg, B.; Naoi, K.; Kaneko, K.; Taberna, P. L.; Grey, C. P.; Dunn, B.; Simon, P. Nat. Energy 2016, 1, 16070.
- Ogihara, N.; Ohba, N.; Kishida, Y. Sci. Adv. 2017, 3, e1603103.
- Ozawa, Y.; Ogihara, N.; Hasegawa, M.; Hiruta, O.; Ohba, N.; Kishida, Y. , Communs. Chem. 2018, 1, 65.