This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Nozzle Hole Diameter and Injection Pressure on Fuel Adhesion of Flat-Wall Impinging Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In direct injection spark ignition (DISI) engine, it is difficult to avoid the spray impingement of fuel on the cylinder wall and piston head, which is a possible source of hydrocarbons and soot emission. The injector nozzle geometry and injection pressure are essential components for the spray atomization and mixture formation. For better understanding the effects of injector hole diameters and injection pressure, the fuel spray and adhesion on a flat wall by different mini-sac injectors with a single hole was examined in this study. A flat-wall made of quartz glass was used as the impingement plate. Refractive Index Matching (RIM) method was applied to measure the thickness of fuel adhesion on the wall. All the cases performed in constant high-pressure chamber were under high temperature condition considering the real gasoline engine condition. Time-resolved behaviors of the fuel adhesion as well as adhesion mass, area and thickness were discussed. Results show that the decreased nozzle hole diameter and increased injection pressure reduce the fuel adhesion mass, area and thickness. Moreover, the enlarged nozzle hole diameter and injection pressure improve the uniformity of the adhesion thickness.
- Hongliang Luo - Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima Univ
- Shintaro Uchitomi - Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima Univ
- Tomohiro Watanabe - Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima Univ
- Keiya Nishida - Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima Univ
- Youichi Ogata - Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima Univ
- Wu Zhang - Mazda Motor Corporation, Aki-gun, Hiroshima, 730-8670, Japan
- Ryosuke Hara - Mazda Motor Corporation, Aki-gun, Hiroshima, 730-8670, Japan
- Tatsuya Fujikawa - Mazda Motor Corporation, Aki-gun, Hiroshima, 730-8670, Japan
CitationLuo, H., Uchitomi, S., Watanabe, T., Nishida, K. et al., "Effects of Nozzle Hole Diameter and Injection Pressure on Fuel Adhesion of Flat-Wall Impinging Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2246, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2246.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Li, K., Nishida, K., Ogata, Y., & Shi, B. , “Effect of flat-wall impingement on diesel spray combustion,” Proc I MechE,Part D: J Automobile Engineering 229(5): 535–549, 2015, doi:10.1177/0954407014547242
- Nishida, K., Zhu, J., Leng, X., & He, Z. , “Effects of microhole nozzle and ultra-high injection pressure on air entrainment, liquid penetration, flame lift-off and soot formation of diesel spray flame,” Int J Engine Res 18(1–2): 51–65, 2017, doi:10.1177/1468087416688805
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y., Zhang, W., Fujikawa, T., “Microscopic behavior of spray droplets under flat-wall impinging condition,” Fuel 219:467–76, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.01.059
- He, X., Li, Y., Sjoberg, M., Vuilleumier, D., Ding, C.P., Liu, F., & Li, X. ,” Impact of coolant temperature on piston wall-wetting and smoke generation in a stratified-charge DISI engine operated on E30 fuel,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2018.07.073
- Luo, H., Uchitomi, S., Nishida, K., Ogata, Y., Zhang, W., & Fujikawa, T., “Experimental Investigation on Fuel Film Formation by Spray Impingement on Flat Walls with Different Surface Roughness,” Atomization and Sprays 27(7): 611-628,2017,doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.2017019706
- He, X., Ratcliff, M. A., & Zigler, B. T.,” Effects of gasoline direct injection engine operating parameters on particle number emissions,” Energy & Fuels 26(4): 2014-2027, 2012, doi:10.1021/ef201917p
- Yu, H., Liang, X., Shu, G., Wang, X., Wang, Y., & Zhang, H., “Experimental investigation on wall film distribution of dimethyl ether/diesel blended fuels formed during spray wall impingement,” Energies 9(11): 949, 2016, doi:10.3390/en9110949
- Liang, X., Zhang, H., Shu, G., Wang, Y., Sun, X., Yu, H., & Ge, M., “Experimental Investigation on Effect of Wall Roughness and Lubricant Film on the Adhered Fuel Film of N-Butanol-Diesel Blends after Spray Impingement,” Energies 11(6):1576, 2018, doi: 10.3390/en11061576
- Drake, M.C., Fansler, T.D., and Rosalik, M.E. , “Quantitative high-speed imaging of piston fuel films in direct-injection engines using a refractive-index-matching technique,” The 15th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Madison, WI, 15-17 May 2002, 1–8
- Drake, M.C., Fansler, T.D., Solomon, A.S. et al ., “Piston fuel films as a source of smoke and hydrocarbon emissions from a wall-controlled spark-ignited direct-injection engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0547
- Drake, M.C., Haworth, D.C., “Advanced gasoline engine development using optical diagnostics and numerical modeling,” Proc Combust Inst 31(1): 99–124, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.120
- Yang, B., Ghandhi, J., “Measurement of diesel spray impingement and fuel film characteristics using refractive index matching method,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0485, 2007, doi: 10.4271/2007-01-0485.
- Maligne, D., Bruneaux, G., “Time-resolved fuel film thickness measurement for direct injection SI engines using refractive index matching,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1215, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1215
- Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Lai, M.C., et al ., “Measurement and simulation of DI spray impingements and film characteristics,” The 12th triennial int. conf. on liquid atomization and spray systems, Heidelberg, Germany, 2–6 Sep. 2012, 1–8.
- Henkel, S., Beyrau, F., Hardalupas, Y., Taylor, A. , “Novel method for the measurement of liquid film thickness during fuel spray impingement on surfaces,” Optics Express 24(3): 2542–61,2016, doi: 10.1364/OE.24.002542
- Tanaka, D., Uchida, R., Noda, T., Kolbeck, A., Henkel, S., Hardalupas, Y., ...& Aradi, A., “Effects of fuel properties associated with in-cylinder behavior on particulate number from a direct injection gasoline engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1002, 2017, doi: 10.4271/2017-01-1002
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y., Zhang, W., & Fujikawa, T., “Effect of spray impingement distance on piston top fuel adhesion in direct injection gasoline engines,” International Journal of Engine Research online first,2018, doi: 1177/1468087418774175
- Ding, C., Sjöberg, M., Vuilleumier, D., Reuss, D., He, X., Böhm, B., “Fuel film thickness measurements using refractive index matching in a stratified-charge SI engine operated on E30 and alkylate fuels,” Exp Fluids 59(3): 59, 2018, doi:10. 1007/s0034
- Schulz, F., and Beyrau, F. , “The influence of flash-boiling on spray-targeting and fuel film formation,” Fuel 208: 587-594, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.07.047
- Piazzullo, D., Costa, M., Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., Rocco, V. , “A 3D CFD Simulation of GDI Sprays Accounting for Heat Transfer Effects on Wallfilm Formation,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10: 2166-2175, 2017,doi: 10.4271/2017-24-0041
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y., Zhang, W., & Fujikawa, T., “Effect of temperature on fuel adhesion under spray-wall impingement condition,” Fuel 234: 56-65, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.07.021
- Pan, H., Xu, M., Hung, D., Lv, H., Dong, X., Lv, W., Kuo, T. W., ... & Parrish, S. E., “Experimental Investigation of Fuel Film Characteristics of Ethanol Impinging Spray at Ultra-Low Temperature,” . In: SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0851,2017,doi: 10.4271/2017-01-0851
- Bai, C., & Gosman, A.D. , “Development of methodology for spray impingement simulation,” JOURNAL OF ENGINES 104(3): 550-568, 1995. doi: www.jstor.org/stable/44633238
- Bai, C., Rusche, H., & Gosman, A.D. , “Modeling of gasoline spray impingement,” Atomization and Sprays 12(1-3): 1-27, 2002, doi: 10.1615/AtomizSpr.v12. i123.10.
- Zhang, T., Dong, B., Chen, X., Qiu, Z., Jiang, R. & Li, W., “Spray characteristics of pressure-swirl nozzles at different nozzle diameters,” Applied Thermal Engineering 121: 984-991, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.04.089
- Algayyim, S.J.M., Wandel, A.P. & Yusaf, T. , “The impact of injector hole diameter on spray behaviour for butanol-diesel blends,” Energies 11(5): 1298, 2018, doi: 10.3390/en11051298
- Du, W., Zhang, Q., Bao, W., & Lou, J. , “Effects of injection pressure on spray structure after wall impingement,” Applied Thermal Engineering 129: 1212-1218, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.10.083
- Shervani-Tabar, M. T., Sheykhvazayefi, M., & Ghorbani, M. , “Numerical study on the effect of the injection pressure on spray penetration length,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 37(14-15): 7778-7788, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2013.03.002
- Liu, Y., Pei, Y., Peng, Z., Qin, J., Zhang, Y., Ren, Y., & Zhang, M., “Spray development and droplet characteristics of high temperature single-hole gasoline spray,” Fuel, 191: 97-105, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2016.11.068