This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulations of Methanol Engine Performance for High-altitude, Non-road Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Ambient pressure and temperature are two main factors affecting the engine performance. As altitude increases, the air volume and air temperature entering the cylinder per cycle decrease due to the lowering of atmospheric pressure and temperature, which directly affects the engine performance. As a result, engine performance in the plateau environment degrades while the power, economy, and emission performance of the engine significantly deteriorate.
This paper focuses on the simulation and parameter optimization of the combustion process of non-road methanol engines, and 1D simulation is for BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) prediction while 3D simulation is for soot and NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) predictions. Discusses, analyzes and predicts the feasibility of non-road methanol engines for high altitude conditions. Especially the application of high proportion of methanol in non-road methanol engines at high altitudes. It provides numerical simulations based on the Yuchai YC6M series heavy-duty direct-injection ignition engine and corresponding engine bench test data which elucidate the effects of oxygen-containing methanol fuel on engine performance. The role of methanol in the blend as well as resulting changes in engine power and emissions were investigated; results show that methanol mass fraction of about 40% yields the slowest engine power reduction rate at high altitude. The results also show that the NOx emissions of the engine slowly decrease as altitude increases, by about 4% at altitude of 4000 m; the soot emissions increase as altitude increases.
- Guang Yao - Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen
- Lei Zhou - Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen
- Zeyu Chen - Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen
- Li Weng - Southern University of Science and Technology
- Ke Liu - Southern University of Science and Technology
- Zan Zhu - Guangxi Yuchai Machinery Co. Ltd
CitationYao, G., Zhou, L., Chen, Z., Weng, L. et al., "Numerical Simulations of Methanol Engine Performance for High-altitude, Non-road Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2233, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Sun, H. Wang, W. Koo, K., "The practical implementation of methanol as a clean and efficient alternative fuel for automotive vehicles," International Journal of Engine Research 2018;14(4):7417-752, doi:10.1177/1468087417752951.
- Atadashi, I., Aroua, M., Abdul, A., "High quality biodiesel and its diesel engine application: a review," Renewable Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2010;14:1999-2008, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2010.03.020.
- Syed, A., Raja, G., Jebaraj, S., "A review on biodiesel production, combustion, emissions and performance," Renewable Sustainable Energy Reviews.2009;13:1628–1634, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2008.09.031.
- Ekici, S., Altuntas, O., Açıkkalp, E., "Assessment of thermodynamic performance and exergetic sustainability of turboprop engine using mixture of kerosene and methanol," Journal of Exergy 2016;19(3):621-627, doi: 10.1504/ijex.2016.075666.
- Shen, L., Yang, Y., Lei, J., Bi, Y., Yan, W., Yang, Y., "Study of performance and emissions of a turbocharged inter-cooling diesel engine at different altitudes," Transactions of CSICE (in Chinese). 2006;24(03):250–5.
- He, C., Ge, Y., Ma, C., Tan, J., Liu, Z., Wang, C., "Emission characteristics of a heavy duty diesel engine at simulated high altitudes," Science of the Total Environment. 2011;409(17):3138-43, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1516.
- Bermúdez, V., Serrano, J., Piqueras, P., Gómez, J., Bender, S., "Analysis of the role of altitude on diesel engine performance and emissions using an atmosphere simulator," International Journal of Engine Research 2017;1468(08):741-756, doi:10.1177/1468087416679569.
- Zhu, L., Cheung, C., Zhang, W., Huang, Z., "Emissions characteristics of a diesel engine operating on biodiesel and biodiesel blended with ethanol and methanol," Science of the Total Environment 2010;408:914-921, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.10.078.
- Cheng, C., Cheung, C., Chan, T., Lee, C., Yao, C., Tsang, K., "Comparison of emissions of a direct injection diesel engine operating on biodiesel with emulsified and fumigated methanol," Fuel 2008;87:1870-1879, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2008.01.002.
- Yusri, I., Mamat, R., Najafi, G., Razman, A., Awad, O., "Alcohol-based automotive fuels from first four alcohol family in compression and spark ignition engine: A review on engine performance and exhaust emissions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2017;77:169-181, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2017.03.080.
- Chen, G., Shen, Y., Lan, Y., Weng, J., Zhang, W., "Study on performance of DI-diesel engine fueled with biodiesel at different altitudes," Chinese International Combustion Engine Engineering 2009;30:16–20.
- Benjumea, P., Agudelo, J., Agudelo, A., "Effect of altitude and palm oil biodiesel fuelling on the performance and combustion characteristics of a HSDI diesel engine," Fuel 2009;88:725–31, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2008.10.011.
- Perez, P., Boehman, A., "Performance of a single-cylinder diesel engine using oxygen-enriched intake air at simulated high-altitude conditions," Aerospace Science and Technology 2010;14(2):83-94, doi:10.1016/j.ast.2009.08.001.
- Wang, X., Ge, Y., Yu, L., Feng, X., "Comparison of combustion characteristics and brake thermal efficiency of a heavy-duty diesel engine fueled with diesel and biodiesel at high altitude," Fuel 2013; 107(9):852-858, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.01.060.
- Maloney, B., Ge, Y., Petersen, R., Hardy, J., Rogers, J., "Experimental investigation of the impact of biodiesel on the combustion and emission characteristics of a heavy duty diesel engine at various altitudes," Fuel 2014;115(1):220-226, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.06.056.
- Sayin, C., Ozsezen, A., Canakci, M., "The influence of operating parameters on the performance and emissions of a DI diesel engine using methanol-blended-diesel fuel," Fuel 2010;89:1407-1414, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2009.10.035.
- Olah, G., Goeppert, A., Prakash, G., Beyond Oil and Gas: The Methanol Economy: Second Edition. Wiley-VCH 2013.