This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The precipitation of biodiesel impurities at low temperature and its effect on fuel filter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Biofuels are expanding continuously in global market as one of renewable options to replace fossil fuels. Biodiesel is the most commonly used biofuel that can be blended into conventional diesels in any proportion. However, higher biodiesel blends may cause problems. One of its problems is precipitation formation arise from biodiesel may clog fuel filter at low temperature. This study focuses on fuel and environment factors on biodiesel precipitation and their influence degree on fuel filter clogging. The results indicate that monoglycerides and temperature have strong correlation with precipitate weight. Moreover, quantitative effect of precipitate weight on filter clogging was clarified.
|Technical Paper||Effectiveness of Cold Soak Filtration Test to Predict Precipitate Formation in Biodiesel|
|Special Publication||Renewable Fuels, 2008|
|Journal Article||Biodistillate Transportation Fuels 3 - Life Cycle Impacts|
- Sareewan Suwannamit - DENSO INTERNATIONAL ASIA CO., LTD.
- Jaratpong Ngammoh - DENSO INTERNATIONAL ASIA CO., LTD.
- Minoru Funahashi - DENSO CORPORATION
- Mamoru Tasaki - Kyosan Denki Co., Ltd.
- Methira Krissanasaeranee - PTT Public Company Limited
- Suriya Porntangjitlikit - PTT Public Company Limited
- Supap Silapakampeerapap - PTT Public Company Limited
- Arunratt Wuttimongkolchai - PTT Public Company Limited
- Nitiwat Chiampradit - TOYOTA DAIHATSU ENGINEERING & MANUFACTURING CO., LTD.
CitationSuwannamit, S., Ngammoh, J., Funahashi, M., Tasaki, M. et al., "The precipitation of biodiesel impurities at low temperature and its effect on fuel filter," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2188, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2188.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- World Energy Outlook 2017, International Energy Agency, published: 14 November 2017
- TEKNIS DAN UJI PEMANFAATAN BIODIESEL (B20) PADA KENDARAAN BERMOTOR DAN ALAT BESAR, Direktorat Jenderal EBTKE, 17 Februari 2015
- https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2018/11/27/petroleum-firms-have-two-month s-to-change-to-b10-biodiesel/
- Update of biodiesel specifications in Thailand, https://www.egnret.ewg.apec.org/sites/default/files/geektic/web/workshop/2nd-Biodiesel%20workshop/5_Biodiesel%20Specification%20-%20Thaila nd.pdf
- Biofuels Roadmap 2017-2040, https://www.doe.gov.ph/pep/biofuels-roadmap-2017-2040
- Shailesh Martin Lopes, Douglas Conran and Michael Russell, “Effectiveness of Cold Soak Filtration Test to Predict Precipitate Formation in Biodiesel”, SAE 2011-01-1201
- Toshihiko Omori, Akio Tanaka, Koichi Yamada and Satoshi Bunne, “Biodiesel deposit formation mechanism and improvement of Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE)”, SAE 2011-01-1935.
- Akio Tanaka, Koichi Yamada, Toshihiko Omori, Satoshi Bunne and Katsuhiko Hosokawa, “Inner Diesel Injector Deposit Formation Mechanism”, SAE 2013-01-2661.
- Takahito Niwa, Takashi Eguchi, Koichi Yamada, Satoshi Bunne, Toshihiko Omori and Takafumi Kato, “Improvement of the Robustness of the Common Rail System for the fuel diversification”, SAE 2015-01-1967.
- Tatsuki Sugiura and Yoichiro Nakamura, “Oxidative Deterioration Properties of FAME-Blended Diesel Fuel”, SAE 2018-01-0924
- Prancheewa Udomsap, Ukrit Sahapatsombat, Buppa Puttasawat, Pawnprapa Krasae, Nuwong Chollacoop and Subongkoj Topaiboul, “Preliminary Investigation of Cold Flow Improvers for Palm-Derived Biodiesel Blends”, Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals, Vol.18 No.2, 99-102, 2008
- Yashifumi Yoshimoto and Eiji Kinoshita, “Applied Technology of Vegetable Oils for Diesel Engines-Use of Biodiesel Fuel-”, Journal of the Combustion Society of Japan, Vol.51 No.156, 121-128, 2009
- Camelia Echim, Jeroen Maes and Wim De Greyt, “Improvement of cold filter plugging point of biodiesel from alternative feedstocks”, Fuel 93, 642-648, 2012, journal homepage: www.elsevier.com/locate/fuel
- Puneet Verma, M.P. Sharma, Gaurav Dwivedi, “Evaluation and enhancement of cold flow properties of palm oil and its biodiesel”, Energy Reports 2, 8-13, 2016, journal homepage: www.elsevier.com/locate/egyr
- Shiro Saka, All about biodiesel (2006), 211-213.
- L. Aisyah, C.S. Wibowo, S.A. Bethari, D. Ufidian and R. Anggarani, “Monoglyceride contents in biodiesel from various plants oil and the effect to low temperature properties”, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering Vol.316, 2018
- Liliana Mendoza, Vladimir Plata, Paola Gauthier-Maradei, Fredy Avellaneda,, “Characterization of Precipitate Formed Above and Below the Cloud Point of Palm Oil Biodiesel”, Chemical Engineering Transactions, Vol.43, 475-480, 2015
- Luc Jolly, Koji Kitano, Ichiro Sakata, Wenzel Strojek and Walter Bunting, “A study of Mixed-FAME and Trace Component Effects on the Filter Blocking Propensity of FAME and FAME Blends”, SAE 2010-01-2116
- G.M. Chupka, L. Fouts, J.A. Lennon, T.L. Alleman, D.A. Daniels and R.L. McCormick, “Saturated monoglyceride effects on low-temperature performance of biodiesel blends”, Fuel Processing Technology 118, 302-309, 2014, journal homepage: www.elsevier.com/locate/fuproc
- Indy Prasetya Girry, Imam Prayanto, Tirto Prakoso and Misri Gozan, “Effect of monopalmitic content and temperature on precipitation rate in biodiesel-petroleum diesel blends”, in E3S Web of Conference, Vol.52, 2018
- PEDOMAN UMUM PENANGANAN DAN PENYIMPANAN BAHAN BAKAR BIODIESEL (B100) DAN CAMPURAN BIODIESEL (BXX), Dirjen EBTKE, 2018