This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three-dimensional simulations of oil dilution in DI diesel engines under motoring conditions with varying injection timing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study presents a simulation method for oil dilution in diesel engines by a post injection to understand the oil dilution mechanism and to improve an empirical model predicting the evolution of oil dilution. To consider the wall film, two-dimensional governing equations are additionally solved along the cylinder wall. Primary critical Weber numbers are used to determine adhesion or a splash of droplets at wall impingements. Motoring engine simulations at different injection timings show that dilution ratios in simulations are in good agreements with those in experiments. Oil dilution is not proportional to injection timings in this motoring conditions.
CitationHori, T., Yamaji, K., and Akamatsu, F., "Three-dimensional simulations of oil dilution in DI diesel engines under motoring conditions with varying injection timing," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2186, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- O.M.I. Nwafor, and G. Rice, Perfomance of Rapeseed Oil Blends in a Diesel Engine, Applied Energy, Vol. 54, No. 4 (1996), pp. 345-354.
- M.J. Thornton, T.L. Alleman, J. Luecke, and R.L. McCormick, Impacts of Biodiesel Fuel Blends Oil Dilution on Light-Duty Diesel Engine Operation, SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2(1) (2009), pp.781-788.
- H. Nanjundaswamy, M. Taur, and D. Tomazic, A Novel Approach in Determining Oil Dilution Level on a DPF Equipped Vehicle as a Result of Regeneration, 2009 Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) Conference (2009).
- Matsuoka, M., Ito, T., and Kitamura, T. , Analysis of Oil Dilution Mechanism due to Post-injection for Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration, Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol. 47 (6) (2016), pp.1317-1322 (in Japanese).
- Ito, T., Kitamura, T. Kohima, H. and Kawanabe, H. , Prediction of Oil Dilution by Post-injection in DPF Regeneration Mode, SAE paper (2019), pp. 1-11 (submitted to 2019 JSAE/SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants).
- M.P.B. Musculus, et al. , Entrainment Waves in Diesel Jets, SAE Int. J. Engines, Vol. 2, No. 1, p.1170-1193 (2009).
- Shibata, G., Ogawa, H., Sha, F., and Tashiro, K. , Impingement and Adhesion on Cylinder Liners with Post Diesel Fuel Injections, SAE Paper 2016-01-2193 (2016), pp. 1-10.
- Budde, M., Ehrly, M., Jakob, M., Witter, M., and Pischinger, S. , Simulation and Optical Analysis of Oil Dilution in Diesel Regeneration Operation, SAE 2011-01-1844 (2011), pp.1-10.
- A. A. Amsden, KIVA-3V: A block-structured KIVA program for engines with vertical or canted valves, LA-13313-MS (1997).
- P. J. O'Rourke, and A. A. Amsden, , “A Particle Numerical Model for Wall Film Dynamics in Port-Injected Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 961961 (1996).
- OpenFOAM 2.0.0, https://openfoam.org/release/2-0-0/surface-film/.
- Kitaguchi, K., Hatori, S., Hori, T., and Senda, J. , Optimization of Breakup Model using LES of Diesel Spray, Atomization and Sprays, 22, 1 (2018), pp.57-77.
- Zuo, B., Gomes, A. M., and Rutland, C. J., Modelling superheated fuel sprays and vaporization, Int. Journal of Engine Research, 1 (4), (2000), pp.321-336.
- Senda, J., Kobayashi, M., Iwashita, S., Fujimoto, H. , Modeling of Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Wall, SAE paper 941894 (1994).
- C.D. Stow, and M.G. Hadfield, An experimental investigation of fluid flow resulting from the impact of a water drop with an unyielding dry surface, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 373 (1981), pp. 419-441.
- Geppert, A., Gomaa, H., Meister, C., Lamanna, G., and Weigand, B. , Droplet Wall-Film-Interaction: Impact Morphology and Splashing/Deposition Boundary of Hyspin/ n-Hexadecane Two-Compoint System, proceedings of ILASS Americas 26th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (2014), pp.1-9.
- Mizobuchi, N., Kambe, H., Matsumura, E., Kitamura, T., Watanabe, T., and Otsubo, Y. , Modeling of Diesel Spray Impinging Behavior in Lubricanting Oil Film-Measurement of Critical Weber Number-, JSAE 20184162 (in Japanese) (2018).
- Kuwahara, K., Matsuo, T., Sakai, Y., Kobashi, Y. et al. , Reduction of Reaction Mechanism for n-Tridecane Based on Knowledge of Detailed Reaction Paths, SAE Paper 2016-01-2238 (2016), pp. 1-22.