This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bearing Life Optimization for Automotive Wheel Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Automotive wheel bearings have primary functions of translating the rotating motion of the wheels into linear vehicle motion while bearing the vehicle weight. Bearing life is affected by many parameters such as bearing geometry, vehicle and bearing technical specifications, driving conditions, lubrication conditions, material properties, and so on. In this paper, the optimization of bearing life was performed. Optimization formulation with no constraints was established to solve this problem. The large scale generalized reduced gradient, LSGRG, algorithm was applied to calculate the basic rating life and modified rating life proposed by ISO 281:1990 and ISO 281:2007, respectively. The optimization history for design variables and cost function were investigated. The results showed that the optimized basic rating life and modified rating life increased about 15% and 31% comparing with those of initial life, respectively.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Fatigue Crack Propagation in 3D Shell Structures|
|Journal Article||A Sequence Retainable Iterative Algorithm for Rainflow Cycle Counting|
|Technical Paper||A Cycle Counting Algorithm for Fatigue Damage Analysis|
CitationLee, S., "Bearing Life Optimization for Automotive Wheel Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2137, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2137.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Lee, S. , “Bearing Life Evaluation for Automotive Wheel Bearings Using Design of Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1903, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1903.
- Lee, S., Lee, N., Lim, J., and Park, J. , “The Effect of Outer Ring Flange Concavity on Automotive Wheel Bearings Performance,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9(3): 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1958.
- Lee, S.P. , “Bearing Life Evaluation of Automotive Wheel Bearing Considering Operation Loading and Rotation Speed,” Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A 40(6):595-602, 2016, doi:10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.595.
- Goodman, J. , “Roller and Ball Bearings,” Minutes of the Proceedings 189:82-127, 1912.
- Palmgren, A. , “Die Lebensdauer von Kugellagern (The Service Life of Ball Bearings),” Zeitschrift des Vercines Deutscher Ingenieure 68(14):339-341, 1924.
- Weibull, W. , “A Statistical Theory of the Strength of Materials,” Ingeniorsvetenskapsakademiens Handlingar 151, 1939.
- Lundberg, G. and Palmgren, A. , “Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings,” Acta Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering Series, 1(10), 1947.
- International organization for Standardization , “Rolling Bearings-Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life,” ISO281, Geneva, 1990.
- International organization for Standardization , “Rolling Bearings-Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life,” ISO281, Geneva, 2007.
- Gabriele, G.A. and Ragsdell, K.M. , “Large Scale Nonlinear Programming Using the Generalized Reduced Gradient Method,” J. Mech. Des. 102(3):566-573, 1980, doi:10.1115/1.3254786.