This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electromechanical Resonant Ice Protection Systems: How to Favour Fractures Propagation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Many researches focus on piezoelectric ice protection systems with the objectives to develop light and low consumption resonant electromechanical systems for de-icing. These systems use the vibrations generated by piezoelectric actuators at resonance frequencies to produce shear stress at the interface between the ice and the support or to produce tensile stress in the ice. This article presents experimental results of de-icing tests performed with resonant piezoelectric systems that generate amplitudes of vibrations to exceed ice tensile strength or ice/support adhesive shear strength. The tests show that fractures are initiated but that the ice is not always completely detached. A methodology based on the energy release rate is presented to enable a better understanding of fractures initiation and propagation. The last section part of the article is dedicated to the study of a substrate made of a sandwich structure with a honeycomb panel in order to maximize fractures propagation while minimizing energy consumption.
CitationRouset, P., Pommier-Budinger, V., and Budinger, M., "Electromechanical Resonant Ice Protection Systems: How to Favour Fractures Propagation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2032, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2032.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Venna et al. Mechatronic Development of Self-Actuating In-Flight De-Icing Structures IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 11 5 585 592 2006
- Overmeyer et al. Ultrasonic De-Icing Bondline Design and Rotor Ice Testing AIAA Journal 51 12 2965 2976 2013
- Strobl et al. Feasibility Study of a Hybrid Ice Protection System Journal of Aircraft 52 6 2064 2076 2015
- Budinger et al. Ultrasonic Ice Protection Systems: Analytical and Numerical Models for Architecture Tradeoff Journal of Aircraft 53 3 2016
- Bennani , L. 2014
- Pommier-Budinger et al. 2018 Electromechanical Resonant Ice Protection Systems: Initiation of Fractures with Piezoelectric Actuators AIAA Journal 56 11 2018 4400 4411
- Budinger et al. 2018 Electromechanical Resonant Ice Protection Systems: Analysis of Fracture Propagation Mechanisms AIAA Journal 56 11 2018 4412 4422
- Gibson , L.J. and Ashby , M.F. Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties Cambridge University Press 1999
- AIR, S. 2014 1 72
- Meier , O. and Scholz , D. A Handbook Method for the Estimation of Power Requirements for Electrical De-Icing Systems Hamburg DLRK 2010 31
- Huang , X. , Tepylo , N. , Pommier-Budinger , V. , Budinger , M. et al. A Survey of Icephobic Coatings and Their Potential Use in a Hybrid Coating/Active Ice Protection System for Aerospace Applications Progress in Aerospace Sciences. 2019