This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Altitude Ice Crystal Detection with Aircraft X-band Weather Radar
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
During participation on EU FP7 HAIC project, Honeywell has developed methodology to detect High Altitude Ice Crystals with the Honeywell IntuVue® RDR-4000 X-band Weather Radar. The algorithm utilizes 3D weather buffer of RDR-4000 weather radar and is based on machine learning. The modified RDR-4000 Weather Radar was successfully flight tested during 2016 HAIC Validation Campaign; the technology was granted Technology Readiness Level 6 by HAIC consortium. After the end of HAIC project, the method was also evaluated with respect to newly set preliminary industry standard performance requirements1. This paper discuses technology design rationale, high level technology architecture, technology performance, and challenges associated with performance evaluation.
CitationLukas, J. and Badin, P., "High Altitude Ice Crystal Detection with Aircraft X-band Weather Radar," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2026, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2026.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Mason, J.G., Strapp, J.W., and Chow, P. , “The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight,” in 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Aerospace Sciences Meetings, doi:10.2514/6.2006-206.
- EUROCAE Publication ER-15, “Feasibility Study Weather Radar for Ice Crystals Detection,” March 6, 2018, also available as RTCA document AFS-1, revised Sept. 2017.
- High Altitude Ice Crystals , HAIC project website, http://www.haic.eu.
- Strapp, J.W., Isaac, G., Korolev, A., Ratvasky, T.P. et al. , “The High Ice Water Content (HIWC) Study of Deep Convective Clouds: Science and Technical Plan,” DOT/FAA/TC-14/31, 2016, available at: http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/tc14-31.pdf.
- Heymsfield, A.J., Wang, Z., and Matrosov, S. , “Improved Radar Ice Water Content Retrieval Algorithms Using Coincident Microphysical and Radar Measurements,” Journal of Applied Meteorology 44(9):1391-1412, 2005.
- Hogan, R.J., Mittermaier, M.P., and Illingworth, A.J. , “The Retrieval of Ice Water Content from Radar Reflectivity Factor and Temperature and Its Use in Evaluating a Mesoscale Model,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 45(2):301-317, 2006.
- Harrah, S.D. , “HIWC Radar Flight Campaigns Summary & Conclusions,” in RTCA SC-230 Plenary, Nov. 6, 2018.
- Harrah, S.D., Strickland, J.K., Hunt, P.J., Proctor, F.H. et al. , “Radar Detection of High Concentrations of Ice Particles - Methodology and Flight Test Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2028, 2019.
- Science Engineering Associated, Inc. , “WCM-3000 Robust Water Content System,” http://www.scieng.com/products/robust.htm.
- Strapp, J.W., Lilie, L.E., Ratvasky, T.P., Davison, C.R., and Dumont, C. , “Isokinetic TWC Evaporator Probe: Development of the IKP2 and Performance Testing for the HAIC-HIWC Darwin 2014 and Cayenne Field Campaigns,” in 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, (AIAA 2016-4059), doi:10.2514/6.2016-4059.
- Laborie, P., Protat, A., Vinson, J.P., and Le Gac, C. , “Technical Aspects of a New W-Band Cloud Radar,” in 2002 32nd European Microwave Conference, Milan, Italy, 2002, 1-4, doi:10.1109/EUMA.2002.339443.
- Caruhel, C. et al , “High Level Specification for Mixed Phase and Glaciated Icing Conditions Awareness Technology,” HAIC Deliverable D42.3, Jan. 2017.
- EUROCAE Publication ED-103, “Minimum Operational Performance Standard for Inflight Icing Detection Systems,” Nov. 1, 2017, also available as SAE standard AS5498A.
- RTCA, Inc. , “Minimum Operational Performance Standards (MOPS) for Airborne Weather Radar System,” RTCA publication DO-220A Change 1, Aug. 17, 2018.
- Leroy, D., Coutris, P., Emmanuel, F., Schwarzenboeck, A., Strapp, J.W., Lilie, L.E., Korolev, A., McFarquhar, G., Dezitter, F., and Grandin, A. , “HAIC/HIWC Field Campaigns - Specific Findings on Ice Crystals Characteristics in High Ice Water Content Cloud Regions,” in 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, Washington, D.C., USA, 2016.