This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Ice Shedding Model for Rotating Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A CFD simulation methodology is presented to evaluate the ice that sheds from rotating components. The shedding detection is handled by coupling the ice accretion and stress analysis solvers to periodically check for the propagation of crack fronts and possible detachment. A novel approach for crack propagation is highlighted where no change in mesh topology is required. The entire computation from flow to impingement, ice accretion and crack analysis only requires a single mesh. The accretion and stress module are validated individually with published data. The analysis is extended to demonstrate potential shedding scenarios on three complex industrially-relevant 3D cases: a helicopter blade, an engine fan blade and a turboprop propeller. The largest shed fragment will be analyzed in the context of FOD damage to neighboring aircraft/component surfaces.
CitationNilamdeen, S., Zhang, Y., Ozcer, I., and Baruzzi, G., "An Ice Shedding Model for Rotating Components," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2003, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2003.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Beaugendre, H., Morency, F., and Habashi, W.G., “FENSAP-ICE's Three-Dimensional In-Flight ICE Accretion Module: ICE3D,” Journal of Aircraft 40(2):239-247, 2003.
- Aliaga, C.N., Habashi, W.G., Aubé, M.S., and Baruzzi, G.S., “A Third-Generation In-Flight Icing Code: FENSAP-ICE-Unsteady,” in SAE Aircraft & Engine Icing International Conference, Seville, Spain, 2007.
- Ahn, G.B., Jung, K.Y., Myong, R.S., Shin, H.B., and Habashi, W.G., “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Ice Accretion on a Rotorcraft Engine Air Intake,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft 52(3):903-909, 2015.
- Remaki, L., Nadarajah, S., Habashi, W.G., Bogstad, M.C., Kho, C., and Mokhtarian, F., “Mesh Adaptation Impact on Lift and Drag Coefficients,” in CASI 11th Aerodynamics Symposium, Toronto, 2005.
- Ozcer, I.A., Lagace, P., Switchenko, D., Baruzzi, G.S., Aliaga, C., Dow, J.P., Sr., and Habashi, W.G., “Numerical Analysis for the Placement of a Pitot Tube Using Optimized Grids,” in SAE International Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines and Structures, 151CE-01 07, Prague, June 22-25, 2015.
- Croce, G., De Candido, E., Habashi, W.G., Aube, M.S., and Baruzzi, G.S., “FENSAP-ICE: Numerical Prediction of in-Flight Icing Roughness Evolution,” AIAA-2009-4126, in 19th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics, San Antonio, TX, June 22-25, 2009.
- Ozcer, I., Baruzzi, G.S., Reid, T., Habashi, W.G. et al., “FENSAP-ICE: Numerical Prediction of ICE Roughness Evolution, and its Effects on Ice Shapes,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0024, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0024.
- Shin, J. and Bond, T., “Surface Roughness due to Residual Ice in the Use of Low Power Deicing Systems, in 31st Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, AIAA-93-0031, 1993.
- Andrews, E. and Lockington, N., “The Cohesive and Adhesive Strength of Ice,” Journal of Materials Science 18(5):1455-1465, 1983.
- Soltis, J., Palacios, J., Wolfe, D., and Eden, T., “Evaluation of Ice Adhesion Strength on Erosion Resistant Materials,” in 54th AIAA Materials Conference, AIAA 2013-1509, 2013.
- Yeong, Y.H., Loth, E., Sokhey, J., and Lambourne, A., “Ice Adhesion Strength on Hydrophobic and Superhydrophobic Coatings,” in 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA Aviation Forum, AIAA 2014-2063, 2014.
- Oleskiw, M., “AIRA Research Thrust III - Physics of Ice Adhesion for Rotating Surfaces,” Reno, NV, Jan. 8, 2007.
- Work, A. and Lian, Y., “A Critical Review of the Measurement of Ice Adhesion to Solid Substrates,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 98:1-26, 2018.
- Work, “The Measurement of the Adhesion of Glaze Ice,” Ph.D. thesis, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Louisville, Paper 2987, 2018.
- Scavuzzo, R.J. and Chu, M.I., “Structural Properties of Impact Ice Accreted on Aircraft Structures,” NASA-CR-179580, Prepared for the Lewis Research Center under Grant NAG3-47.
- Britton, R.K. and Bond, T.H., “An Overview of Shed Ice Impact Studies in the NASA Lewis Icing Research Tunnel,” NASA-TM-105569.
- Hobbs, P., Ice Physics (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Fortin, G. and Perron, J.J., “Spinning Rotor Blade Tests in Icing Wind Tunnel,” AIAA Paper 2009-4260, 2009.
- Brouers, E.W., Palacios, J.L., Smith, E.C., and Peterson, A.A., “The Experimental Investigation of a Rotor Hover Icing Model with Shedding,” in American Helicopter Society AHS 66th Annual Forum, Phoenix AZ, May 1-13, 2010.
- Pervier, M., “Mechanics of Ice Detachment Applied to Turbomachinery,” Ph.D. thesis, Dept. of Power and Propulsion, Cranfield University, 2012.
- Shiping, Z., Khurram, R.A., Fouladi, H., and Habashi, W., “Computational Modeling of Ice Cracking and Break-Up from Helicopter Blades,” in 4th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, 2012.
- Zhang, S., FEM Analysis of In-Flight Ice Break-Up (McGill University, 2013).
- Chen, Y. and Fu, L., “Numerical Simulation of Helicopter Blade Ice Shedding Using a Bilinear Cohesive Zone Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2121, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2121.
- Hayashi, R. and Yamamoto, M., “Numerical Investigation of Ice Shedding Associated with Engine fan Icing,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2091, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2091.
- Aubert, R., “Additional Considerations for Analytical Modeling of Rotor Blade Ice,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2080, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2080.
- Hatch, C., Moller, J., Kalochristianakis, E., and Roberts, I., “Analysis of Ice Release from a Rotating Propeller,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2079, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2079.
- Ugural, A.C. and Fenster, S.K., Advanced Mechanics of Materials and Applied Elasticity Sixth Edition (Prentice Hall, 2019).
- Ruiz-Calavera, L.P., Cid-Arroyo, S., Benitez-Montañes, L., “Spinner Shed Ice Engine Ingestion Assessment Methodology,” in 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Sept. 2014.