This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Additional Comparison of Iced Aerodynamic Measurements on a Swept Wing from Two Wind Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Artificial ice shapes of various geometric fidelity were tested on a wing model based on the Common Research Model. Low Reynolds number tests were conducted at Wichita State University’s Walter H. Beech Memorial Wind Tunnel utilizing an 8.9% scale model, and high Reynolds number tests were conducted at ONERA’s F1 wind tunnel utilizing a 13.3% scale model. Several identical geometrically-scaled ice shapes were tested at both facilities, and the results were compared at overlapping Reynolds and Mach numbers. This was to ensure that the results and trends observed at low Reynolds number could be applied and continued to high, near-flight Reynolds number. The data from Wichita State University and ONERA F1 agreed well at matched Reynolds and Mach numbers. The lift and pitching moment curves agreed very well for most configurations. This confirmed results from previous tests with other ice shapes that indicated the data from the low Reynolds number tests could be used to understand iced-swept-wing aerodynamics at high Reynolds number. This allows ice aerodynamics testing to be performed at low Reynolds number facilities with much lower operating costs and generate results that are applicable to flight Reynolds number.
CitationLee, S., Broeren, A., Woodard, B., Lum, C. et al., "Additional Comparison of Iced Aerodynamic Measurements on a Swept Wing from Two Wind Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1986, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1986.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Morgan, H.L., Ferris, J.C., and McGhee, R.J. , “A Study of High-Lift Airfoils at High Reynolds Numbers in the Langley Low-Turbulence Pressure Tunnel,” NASA TM-89125, 1987.
- Papadakis, M., Gile Laflin, B.E., Youssef, G.M, and Ratvasky, T.P. , “Aerodynamic Scaling Experiments with Simulated Ice Accretions,” in AIAA 39th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibits, Reno, NV, Jan. 8-11, 2001, AIAA Paper 2001-0833.
- Addy, H.E, Broeren, A.P., Zoeckler, J.G., and Lee, S. , “A Wind Tunnel Study of Icing Effects on a Business Jet Airfoil,” in AIAA 41st Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan. 6-9, 2003, AIAA Paper 2003-0727.
- Lee, S., Ratvasky, T.P., Thacker, M., and Barnhart, B.P. , “Geometry and Reynolds Number Scaling on an Iced Business Jet Wing,” in AIAA 43rd Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibits, Reno, NV, Jan. 10-13, 2005, AIAA Paper 2005-1066, NASA TM-2005-213575.
- Broeren, A.P., Potapczuk, M.G., Riley, J.T., Villiedieu, P. et al. , “Swept-Wing Ice Accretion Characterization and Aerodynamics,” AIAA Paper 2013-2824, June 2013, also NASA/TM-2013-216555, Sept. 2013.
- Broeren, A.P., Addy, H.E. Jr. , Bragg, M.B., Busch, G.T. et al., “Aerodynamic Simulation of Ice Accretion on Airfoils,” NASA/TP-2011-216929, June 2011.
- Vassberg, J.C., DeHann, M.A., Rivers, S.M., and Wahls, R.A. , “Development of a Common Research Model for Applied CFD Validation Studies,” AIAA Paper 2008-6919, Aug. 2008.
- Broeren, A.P., Potapczuk, M.G., Lee, S., Malone, A.M. et al. , “Ice-Accretion Test Results for Three Large-Scale Swept-Wing Models in the NASA Icing Research Tunnel,” AIAA Paper 2016-3733, June 2016; also NASA/TM-2016-219137, Sept. 2016.
- Woodard, B.S., Broeren, A.P., Diebold, J.M., and Bragg, M.B. , “Preliminary Testing of Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics for a Swept Wing with Artificial Ice Roughness,” DOT/FAA/TC-17/48, Sept. 2017.
- Broeren, A.P., Woodard, B.S., Diebold, J.M., and Moens, F. , “Low-Reynolds Number Aerodynamics of an 8.9% Scale Semi span Swept Wing for Assessment of Icing Effects,” in 9th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Denver, CO, 2017, AIAA Paper 2017-4372, NASA TM 2017-219533.
- Broeren, A.P., Lee, S., Woodard, B.S., Lum, C.W. et al. , “Independent Effects of Reynolds and Mach Numbers on the Aerodynamics of an Iced Swept Wing,” in 10th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 2018, AIAA Paper 2018-3492.
- Woodard, B.S., Broeren, A.P., Lee, S., Lum, C.W. et al. , “Summary of Ice Shape Geometric Fidelity Studies on an Iced Swept Wing,” in AIAA 10th Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 25-29, 2018, AIAA Paper 2018-3494.
- Sandhu, N., Soltani, R., Bragg, M.B., Lum, C.W. et al. , “Effect of Simulated Scalloped Ice on the Aerodynamics of a Swept-Wing at Low-Reynolds Number,” in AIAA 10th Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 25-29, 2018, AIAA Paper 2018-3495.
- Woodard, B.S., Broeren, A.P., Potapczuk, M.G., Lee, S. et al. , “Experimental Aerodynamic Simulation of a Scallop Ice Accretion on a Swept Wing,” in SAE International Conference on Icing, June 17-21, 2019, submitted for publication, 2019.
- Broeren, A.P., Potapczuk, M.G., Lee, S., Woodard, B.S. et al. , “Experimental Aerodynamic Simulation of a Scallop Ice Accretion on a Swept Wing,” in SAE International Conference on Icing, June 17-21, 2019, submitted for publication, 2019.
- Soltani, M.R., Bragg, M.B., Yoshida, W., Woodard, B.S. et al. , “Effects of a Low Fidelity Artificial Scallop Ice Shape on the Aerodynamics and Wake of a Swept-Wing,” in SAE International Conference on Icing, June 17-21, 2019, submitted for oral presentation, 2019.
- Lee, S., Broeren, A.P., Woodard, B.S., Lum, C.W. et al. , “Comparison of Iced Aerodynamic Measurements on a Swept Wing from Two Wind Tunnels,” AIAA Paper 2018-3493.
- Pope, A., Rae, W.H., and Barlow, J.B. , Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing Third Edition (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1999).
- “Data Reduction System: Boundary Corrections Three Dimensional Aircraft,” Walter H. Beech Wind Tunnel Engineering Process Description, April 2014.
- Torz-Dupuis, L. , “Test NASA SUNSET II of the CRM65 Wing Model Representative of the CRM65 Wing at 1/7.5 on Half Model Set-Up in the ONERA F1 Wind Tunnel,” ONERA Report No. PV 4/23611 DMPE/DSFM, Dec. 2017.
- Coleman, H.W. and Steele, W.G. , Experimentation and Uncertainty Analysis for Engineers (New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1989), 40-118.
- Kline, S. and McClintock, F.A. , “Describing Uncertainties in Single Sample Experiments,” Mechanical Engineering 75(1):3-8, 1953.
- Camello, S.C., Lee, S., Lum, C.W., and Bragg, M.B. , “Generation of Fullspan Leading-Edge 3D Ice Shapes for Swept-Wing Aerodynamic Testing," in Proceedings of the 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Washington DC, June 2016, AIAA Paper 2016-3737.
- Federal Aviation Administration , Advisory Circular AC 25-25A, Oct. 27, 2014.
- Camello, S.C., Bragg, M.B., Broeren, A.P., Lum, C.W. et al. , “Effect of Ice-Shape Fidelity on Swept-Wing Aerodynamic Performance,” AIAA Paper 2017-4373, June 2017.
- Furlong, G.C. and McHugh, J.G. , “A Summary and Analysis of the Low-speed Longitudinal Characteristics of Swept Wings at High Reynolds Number,” NACA-TR-1339, Jan. 1957.
- Lynch, F.T. and Khodadoust, A. , “Effects of Ice Accretions on Aircraft Aerodynamics,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 37(8):669-767, Nov. 2001.