This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MUSIC-Haic: 3D Multidisciplinary Tools for the Simulation of In-Flight Icing due to High Altitude Ice Crystals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Icing is a major hazard for aviation safety. Over the last decades an additional risk has been identified when flying in clouds with high concentrations of ice-crystals where ice accretion may occur on warm parts of the engine core, resulting in engine incidents such as loss of engine thrust, strong vibrations, blade damage, or even the inability to restart engines. Performing physical engine tests in icing wind tunnels is extremely challenging, therefore, the need for numerical simulation tools able to accurately predict ICI (Ice Crystal Icing) is urgent and paramount for the aeronautics industry, especially regarding the development of new generation engines (UHBR = Ultra High Bypass Ratio, CROR = Counter rotating Open Rotor, ATP = Advanced Turboprop) for which analysis methods largely based on previous engines experience may be less and less applicable. The European research project MUSIC-haic has been conceived to fill this gap and has started in September 2018. MUSIC-haic brings together the main European research institutions working on icing modelling as well as engine manufacturers and aircraft manufacturers. The project will develop advanced ice crystal icing models, implement them in existing industrial 3D multi-disciplinary tools, and finally perform extensive validation of the new ICI numerical capability through comparison of numerical results with both academic and industrial experimental data. The aim of the present paper is to provide an overview of the project technical objectives, scientific ambition and methodology, and work breakdown structure.
CitationVilledieu, P., Trontin, P., Aouizerate, G., Bansmer, S. et al., "MUSIC-Haic: 3D Multidisciplinary Tools for the Simulation of In-Flight Icing due to High Altitude Ice Crystals," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1962, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1962.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Technical Compendium from Meetings of the Engine Harmonization Working Group FAA Report No. DOT/FAA/AR-09/13, Mar. 2009.
- http://www.reuters.com/article/us-airlines-boeing idUSBRE9AM03G20131123
- Baumert, A., Bansmer, S., Trontin, P., and Villedieu, P. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigations on Aircraft Icing at Mixed Phase Conditions,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 123:957-978, 2018.
- Currie, T.C. and Fuleki, D.M. , “Experimental Results for Ice Crystal Icing on Hemi-Spherical and Double Wedge Geometries at Varying Mach Numbers and Wet Bulb Temperatures,” in: 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2016-3740, 2016.
- Currie, T., Fuleki, D., and Davison, C. , “Simulation of Ice Particle Melting in the NRCC RATFac Mixed-Phase Icing Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2107, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2107.
- Currie, T.C., Fuleki, D.M., Knezevici, D.C., and MacLeod, J.D. , “Altitude Scaling of Ice Crystal Accretion,” in: 5th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2013-2677, Orlando, FL, 2013.
- Currie, T.C., Fuleki, D.M., and Mahallati, A. , “Experimental Studies of Mixed-Phase Sticking Efficiency for Ice Crystal Accretion in Jet Engines,” in: 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2014-3049, 2014.
- Currie, T.C., Struk, P.M., Tsao, J.C., Fuleki, D.M. et al. , “Fundamental Study of Mixed-Phase Icing with Application to Ice Crystal Accretion in Aircraft Jet Engines,” in: 4th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2012-3035, 2012
- Flegel, A. and Oliver, M. , “Preliminary Results from a Heavily Instrument Engine Ice Crystal Icing Test in a Ground Based Altitude Test Facility,” in: 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA 2016-3894, 2016.
- Oliver, M. , “Validation Ice Crystal Icing Engine Test in the Propulsion System Laboratory at NASA Glenn Research Center,” in: 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2014-2898, 2014.
- Hauk, T. , “Investigation of the Impact and Melting Process of Ice Particles,” Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2015.
- Hauk, T., Bonaccurso, E., Roisman, I.V., and Tropea, C. , “Ice Crystal Impact onto a Dry Solid Wall. Particle Fragmentation,” Proc. R. Soc. A 471:20150399, 2015.
- Hauk, T., Bonaccurso, E., Villedieu, P., and Trontin, P. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of the Melting Process of Ice Particles,” J. Thermophys. Heat Transfer 30(4):946-954, 2016.
- Hauk, T., Roisman, I.V., and Tropea, C. , “Investigation of the Melting Behaviour of Ice Particles in an Acoustic Levitator,” in 11th AIAA/ASME Joint Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Conference, Atlanta, GA, 2014.
- Norde, E., Senoner, J.-M., van der Weide, E.T.A., Trontin, P. et al. , “Eulerian and Lagrangian Ice Crystal Trajectory Simulations in a Generic Turbofan Compressor,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, 2018, doi:10.2514/1.B36916.
- Kintea, D.M., Roisman, I.V., and Tropea, C. , “Transport Processes in a Wet Granular Ice Layer: Model for Ice Accretion and Shedding,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 97:461-472, 2016.
- Knezevici, D.C., Fuleki, D.M., Currie, T.C., Galeote, B. et al. , “Particle Size Effects on Ice Crystal Accretion - Part ii,” in: 5th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2013-2676, 24-27, 2013.
- Knezevici, D.C., Fuleki, D.M., Currie, T.C., and MacLeod, J.D. , “Particle Size Effects on Ice Crystal Accretion,” in: 4th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2012-3039, Vol. 10, 6-2012, 2012.
- Roisman, I.V. and Tropea, C. , “Impact of A Crushing Ice Particle Onto A Dry Solid Wall,” Proc. R. Soc. A 471:20150525, 2015.
- Struk, P.M., Currie, T.C., Wright, W.B., Knezevici, D.C. et al. , “Fundamental Ice Crystal Accretion Physics Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0018, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0018.
- Trontin, P., Blanchard, G., and Villedieu, P. , “A Comprehensive Numerical Model for Mixed-Phase and Glaciated Icing Conditions,” in: 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2016-3742, 2016.
- Villedieu, P., Trontin, P., and Chauvin, R. , “Glaciated and Mixed Phase Ice Accretion Modeling Using ONERA 2D Icing Suite,” in: 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2014-2199, Atlanta, GA, 2014.
- Wright, W.B., Jorgenson, P.C.E., and Veres, J.P. , “Mixed Phase Modeling in GLENNICE with Application to Engine Icing”. in: AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2010-7674, 2010.
- Mason, J.G., Chow, P., and Fuleki, D.M. , “Understanding Ice Crystal Accretion and Shedding Phenomenon in Jet Engines Using a Rig Test,” J. Eng. Gas Turbine Power 133(4), 2011.
- Mason, J.G., Strapp, J.W., and Chow, P. , “The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight,” in 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA-2006-206, Reno, NV, 2006.
- Iuliano, E., Montreuil, E., Norde, E., Van der Weide, E.T.A. et al. , “Modelling of Non-Spherical Particle Evolution for Ice Crystals Simulation with An Eulerian Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2138, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2138.
- Aouizerate, G., Charton, V., Balland, M., Senoner, J.-M. et al. , “Ice Crystals Trajectory Calculations in a Turbofan Engine,” in 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, AIAA 2018-4130.
- Dezitter, F., Grandin, A., Brenguier, J.-L., Hervy, F. et al. , “HAIC - High Altitude Ice Crystals,” in 5th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Fluid Dynamics and Co-located Conferences, AIAA 2013-2674.
- Ayan, E. and Özgen, S. , “In-Flight Mixed Phase Ice Accretion Prediction on Finite, Wings with TAICE-3D,” in 7th European Conference For Aeronautics And Aerospace Sciences (Eucass), 2017.
- Struk, P.M., Bartkus, T., Tsao, J.-C., Bencic, T. et al. , “An Initial Study of the Fundamentals of Ice Crystal Icing Physics in the NASA Propulsion Systems Laboratory,” in 2017 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, AIAA 2017-4242.
- Bartkus, T.P., Struk, P.M., and Tsao, J.-C. , “Evaluation of a Thermodynamic Ice-Crystal Icing Model Using Experimental Ice Accretion Data,” in 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, AIAA 2018-4129.
- Trontin, P. and Villedieu, P. , “A Comprehensive Accretion Model for Glaciated Icing Conditions,” IJMF 108:105-123, 2018.
- Vargas, M., Ruggeri, C., Struk, P., Pereira, M. et al. , “Ice Particle Impacts on a Flat Plate,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-012099, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2099.
- Vargas, M., Ruggeri, C.R., Pereira, J.M., and Revilock, D.M. , “Fragment Size Distribution for Ice Particle Impacts on a Glass Plate,” in AIAA 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, doi: 10.2514/6.2018-3969.
- Widalm, M. et al. , “HAIC Deliverable D63.4 - Synthesis of the TRL4 Benchmark on Trajectory Models,” Internal HAIC Project Deliverable, 2015.