This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Mode-II Interfacial Fracture Toughness of Ice/Metal Interfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Airborne, marine and ground structures are vulnerable to atmospheric icing in cold weather operation conditions. Most of the ice adhesion-related work have focused on the mechanical ice removal strategies because of practical considerations, while limited literature is available for fundamental understanding of the ice adhesion process. Here, we present a fracture mechanics-based approach to characterize interfacial fracture parameters for the shear behavior of a typical ice/aluminum interface. An experimental framework employing two complementary tests (1) lap shear and (2) shear push-out tests was introduced to assess the mode-II fracture parameters for the selected aluminum/ice interface. Both analytical (shear-lag analysis) and numerical (finite element analysis incorporating cohesive zone method) models were used to evaluate shear fracture parameters. The combined experimental and numerical results, as well as surveying published results for lap shear and 0° cone tests showed that mode-II interfacial strength and toughness can be significantly affected by the method of testing geometry due to geometrically induced interfacial residual stress. As a result, the apparent toughness (or strength) obtained by 0° cone test could reach an order of magnitude higher than those derived from lap shear test.
|Technical Paper||SLD Research in the UK|
|Technical Paper||Indoor Test of Ice and Snow Tires on Iced Drum — Development of Tester and Characteristics of Coated Ice for Test|
|Technical Paper||Initial Identification of Aircraft Tire Wear|
CitationYavas, D., Bastawros, A., Dawood, B., and Giuffre, C., "Characterization of Mode-II Interfacial Fracture Toughness of Ice/Metal Interfaces," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1947, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1947.
- Work, A. and Lian, Y. , “A Critical Review of the Measurement of Ice Adhesion to Solid Substrates,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 2018.
- Urata, C. , “Toward Environmentally Adaptive Anti-Icing Coating,” in Stimuli-Responsive Dewetting/Wetting Smart Surfaces and Interfaces (Cham, Springer, 2018), 259-286.
- Marwitz, J., Poiitovich, M., Bernstein, B., Ralph, F. et al. , “Meteorological Conditions Associated with the ATR72 Aircraft Accident near Roselawn, Indiana, on 31 October 1994,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(1):41-52, 1997.
- Stallabrass, J.R. and Price, R.D. , On the Adhesion of Ice to Various Materials (National Research Council Canada, 1962).
- Soltis, J., Palacios, J., Wolfe, D., and Eden, T. , “Evaluation of Ice Adhesion Strength on Erosion Resistant Materials,” in 54th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 2013, 1509.
- Mulherin, N.D., Richter-Menge, J.A., Tantillo, T.J., Gould, L.D. et al. , “Laboratory Test for Measurement of Adhesion Strength of Spray Ice to Coated Flat Plates (No. CRREL-90-2),” 1990.
- Susoff, M., Siegmann, K., Pfaffenroth, C., and Hirayama, M. , “Evaluation of Icephobic Coatings-Screening of Different Coatings and Influence of Roughness,” Applied Surface Science 282:870-879, 2013.
- Hassan, M.F., Lee, H.P., and Lim, S.P. , “The Variation of Ice Adhesion Strength with Substrate Surface Roughness,” Measurement Science and Technology 21(7):075701, 2010.
- Meuler, A.J., Smith, J.D., Varanasi, K.K., Mabry, J.M. et al. , “Relationships between Water Wettability and Ice Adhesion,” Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2(11):3100-3110, 2010.
- Bishoy, D.T., Giuffre, C., and Bastawros, A. , “Fracture Mechanics Based Approach for Ice Adhesion Characterization,” in 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, 2018, 3343.
- Takaku, A. and Arridge, R.G.C. , “The Effect of Interfacial Radial and Shear Stress on Fibre Pull-Out in Composite Materials,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 6(17):2038, 1973.
- Wu, C., Huang, R., and Liechti, K.M. , “Characterizing Interfacial Sliding of Through-Silicon-Via by Nano-Indentation,” IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability 17(2):355-363, 2017.
- Yavas, D., Shang, X., and Bastawros, A.F. , “Mode-I Fracture Toughness and Surface Morphology Evolution for Contaminated Adhesively Bonded Composite Structures,” Composite Structures 203:513-522, 2018.
- Yavas, D. and Bastawros, A.F. , “Prediction of Interfacial Surface Energy and Effective Fracture Energy from Contaminant Concentration in Polymer-Based Interfaces,” Journal of Applied Mechanics 84(4):044501, 2017.
- Lin, G., Geubelle, P.H., and Sottos, N.R. , “Simulation of Fiber Debonding with Friction in a Model Composite Pushout Test,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 38(46-47):8547-8562, 2001.