This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NRC Particle Detection Probe: Results and Analysis from Ground and Flight Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
High altitude ice crystals are causing in-service events in excess of one per month for commercial aircraft. The effects include air data probes malfunctioning (pitot pressure and total air temperature in particular), and uncommanded engine power loss or flameout events. The National Research Council Canada (NRC) has developed a particle detection probe (PDP) that mounts on the fuselage of aircraft to sense and quantify the ice crystals in the environment. The probe is low-power and non-intrusive. This paper presents the results of ground and flight testing of this probe. Results are presented for ground testing in a sea level ice crystal wind tunnel and an altitude icing tunnel capable of generating both ice crystal and super-cooled liquid. The PDP was operated on several flight campaigns and the results of two will be presented. The first was on board a NRC Convair 580 aircraft in French Guiana (FG) and the second was on an Airbus operated A340 research aircraft in Darwin and Reunion Island. The flight campaigns included fully glaciated, mixed phase and fully liquid conditions. Results will be presented and compared across operating conditions at typical altitudes for commercial aircraft. Aircraft installation effects on the PDP measurements will also be examined. NRC has developed preliminary algorithms that provide reliable detection of ice crystal environment along with the ability to estimate the concentration of ice particles being encountered by the aircraft. However, the algorithms themselves are considered proprietary and therefore will not be discussed.
CitationDavison, C., Chalmers, J., and Fuleki, D., "NRC Particle Detection Probe: Results and Analysis from Ground and Flight Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1933, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1933.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Lawson , R.P. , Angus , L.J. , and Heymsfield , A.J. Cloud Particle Measurements in Thunderstorm Anvils and Possible Weather Threat to Aviation J. Aircr. 35 1 113 121 1998 10.2514/2.2268
- Mason , J.G. , Strapp , J.W. , and Chow , P. The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit 2006
- Bravin , M. , Strapp , J.W. , and Mason , J.G. An Investigation into Location and Convective Lifecycle Trends in an Ice Crystal Icing Engine Event Database SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2130 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2130
- Ballard , O. and Quan , B. Ice Crystals-A New Icing Hazard Can. Aeronaut. J. 4 1958
- Davison , C.R. , Rutke , T. , Strapp , J.W. , Ratvasky , T.P. et al. Naturally Aspirating Isokinetic Total Water Content Probe: Pre-Flight Wind Tunnel Testing and Design Modifications 4th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference 2012
- Knezevici , D.C. , Fuleki , D.M. , and MacLeod , J.D. Development and Commissioning of a Linear Compressor Cascade Rig for Ice Crystal Research SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0079 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0079
- Strapp , J.W. , MacLeod , J.D. , and Lilie , L.E.. Calibration of Ice Water Content in a Wind Tunnel/Engine Test Cell Facility 15th International Conference on Cloud and Precipitation 2008
- Davison , C.R. , Landreville , C. , and Ratvasky , T.P. Validation of a Compact Isokinetic Total Water Content Probe for Wind Tunnel Characterization at NASA Glenn Icing Research Tunnel and at NRC Ice Crystal Tunnel 9th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, 2017 2017 9781624104961
- Davison , C. , Fuleki , D. , Chalmers , J.L.Y. , and Galeote , B. NRC Particle Detection Probe: Transition from Test Cell to Flight Operation Specialists’ Meeting AVT-306-Transitioning Gas Turbine Instrumentation from Test Cells to On-Vehicle Applications Athens, Greece 2018
- Strapp , J.W. , Lilie , L. , Ratvasky , T.P. , Davison , C.R. et al. Isokinetic TWC Evaporator Probe Development and Performance Testing for the HAIC-HIWC Darwin 2014 and Cayenne 2015 Field Campaigns 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference 2016
- Davison , C.R. , Strapp , J.W. , Lilie , L.E. , Ratvasky , T.P. et al. Isokinetic TWC Evaporator Probe: Calculations and Systemic Uncertainty Analysis 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Washington, DC 2016
- Wolde , M. , Nguyen , C. , Korolev , A. , and Bastian , M. 2016 10.2514/6.2016-4201
- Lacks , D.J. and Levandovsky , A. Effect of Particle Size Distribution on the Polarity of Triboelectric Charging in Granular Insulator Systems J. Electrostat. 65 2 107 112 2007