Optimal Pressure Relief Groove Geometry for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Variable Displacement Oil Pump (VDOP) is becoming the design of choice for engine friction reduction and fuel economy improvement. Unfortunately, this pump creates excessive pressure ripples, at the outlet port during oil pump shaft rotation, causing oscillating forces within the lubrication system and leading to the generation of objectionable tonal noises and vibrations. In order to minimize the level of noise, different vanes spacing and porting geometries are used. Moreover, an oil pressure relief groove can be added, at the onset of the high pressure port, to achieve this goal.
This paper presents an optimization method to identify the best geometry of the oil pressure relief groove. This method integrates adaptive meshing, 3D CFD simulation, Matlab routine and Genetic Algorithm based optimization. The genetic algorithm is used to create the required design space in order to perform a multi-objective optimization using a large number of parameterized groove geometries. Results of this optimization method are discussed and a design guideline for the oil pressure relief groove is disclosed.
CitationZouani, A. and Marri, V., "Optimal Pressure Relief Groove Geometry for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1548, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1548.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Zouani, A., Stout, J., Hanim, S., Gan, C. et al., “NVH Development of the Ford 2.7L 4V-V6 Turbocharged Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(4), 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2288.
- Zouani, A. and Hanim, S., “Overview of Noise and Vibration in Automotive Engines,” Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 12(2):162-181, 2016.
- Gronchi, S., Maccherini, R., Squarcini, R. et al., “Analysis of the Acoustic Emission of an Oil Pump: Experimental and Numerical Activities,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0120, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014.32-0120.
- Moetakef, M. and Zouani, A., “Analytical CFD Methodology to Evaluate Oil Pump Pressure Pulsations for Improved NVH,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2245, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2245.
- Kirchner, M., Langer, M., and Richter, C., “Vane Pump,” U.S. Patent US 9,051,933, 06-09-2015.
- Zouani, A., Dziubinschi, G., Marri, V., and Antonov, S., “Optimal Vanes Spacing for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1062, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1062.
- Chambers, L., The Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms: Applications Second Edition (Chapman & Hall/ CRC Press, 2000).
- PumpLinx (Version 3.0/2011) Computational Fluid Dynamic Software, Simerics, MI.
- modeFontier (Version 2017 R4) Technical Computing, Esteco, MI