Subband Adaptive Filtering Algorithms for Active Broadband Noise Control in Impulsive Vehicle Noise Environment
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Subband adaptive filtering (SAF) techniques have been increasingly used in active noise control (ANC), especially for acoustic broadband noise signal and system models with long impulse responses. In ANC, the closed-loop delayless SAF schemes improve the convergence rate of the widely adopted conventional filtered-x LMS (FxLMS) algorithm in a more computationally efficient manner under wideband noises like colored signals or even nonstationary signals. In most real-world environment like vehicle interior cabin, however, the performance of ANC can be degraded by various outliers, including non-Gaussian impulsive signal such as transient impact acoustic response for road noise. Although several robust objective error criteria as well as threshold based LMS-type adaptive filtering algorithms have been investigated for active impulsive noise control, the computational burden would be challenging for implementation and the requirement of a priori knowledge of noises cannot be fulfilled in many cases. In this paper, various state-of-the-art SAF algorithms with decorrelating property are studied in terms of the convergence property for broadband noise control in impulsive environment since the subband decomposition might alleviate the sudden change of adaptive systems by spreading energy to multiple channels. The SAF algorithms with low-order norm of error evaluation and variable step sizes are further evaluated via simulations for the input of symmetric α-stable (SαS) impulsive noise and colored noise in the impulsive environment, respectively. Results show that the delayless SAF algorithms appear more robust than the conventional LMS-type algorithms for impulsive noises. Moreover, the utilization of band-dependent variable step sizes for the delayless SAF algorithms significantly improves the convergence rate.
CitationLong, G., Wang, K., and Lim, T., "Subband Adaptive Filtering Algorithms for Active Broadband Noise Control in Impulsive Vehicle Noise Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1528, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1528.
- Mayer, D., Militzer, J., and Bein, T. , “Integrated Solutions for Noise and Vibration Control in Vehicles,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 7(3):1183-1193, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2048.
- Samarasinghe, P.N., Wen, Z., and Thushara, D.A. , “Recent Advances in Active Noise Control Inside Automobile Cabins: Toward Quieter Cars,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 33(6):61-73, 2016.
- Zafeiropoulos, N., Zollner, J., and Rajan, V.K. , “Active Road Noise Cancellation for the Improvement of Sound Quality in the Vehicle,” ATZ Worldwide 120(3):38-43, 2018.
- Jung, W., Elliott, S.J., and Cheer, J. , “Local Active Control of Road Noise inside a Vehicle,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 121:144-157, 2019.
- Sun, G., Duan, J., Li, M., and Lim, T.C. , “Numerical Modeling and Active Noise Control of Impact Road Noise inside a Vehicle Compartment,” Noise Control Engineering Journal 63(1):72-85, 2015.
- Guo, H., Wang, H.S., Liu, N., Yu, R. et al. , “Active Interior Noise Control for Rail Vehicle Using a Variable Step-Size Median-LMS Algorithm,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 109:15-26, 2018.
- Sun, G., Li, M., and Lim, T.C. , “Enhanced Filtered-x Least Mean M-Estimate Algorithm for Active Impulsive Noise Control,” Applied Acoustics 90:31-41, 2015.
- Sun, G., Li, M., and Lim, T.C. , “A Family of Threshold Based Robust Adaptive Algorithms for Active Impulsive Noise Control,” Applied Acoustics 97:30-36, 2015.
- Akhtar, M.T. and Wataru, M. , “Improving Robustness of Filtered-x Least Mean P-Power Algorithm for Active Attenuation of Standard Symmetric-α-Stable Impulsive Noise,” Applied Acoustics 72(9):688-694, 2011.
- Morgan, D.R. and Thi, J.C. , “A Delayless Subband Adaptive Filter Architecture,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 43(8):1819-1830, 1995.
- Merched, R., Diniz, P.S., and Petraglia, M.R. , “A New Delayless Subband Adaptive Filter Structure,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 47(6):1580-1591, 1999.
- Milani, A.A., Panahi, I.M., and Loizou, P.C. , “A New Delayless Subband Adaptive Filtering Algorithm for Active Noise Control Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing 17(5):1038-1045, 2009.
- Lee, K. and Gan, W. , “On Delayless Architecture for the Normalized Subband Adaptive Filter,” in Multimedia and Expo, 2007 IEEE International Conference on, 2007, 1595-598. doi:10.1109/icme.2007.4284970.
- Jeong, J.J., Koo, K., Choi, G.T., and Kim, S.W. , “A Variable Step Size for Normalized Subband Adaptive Filters,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters 19(12):906-909, 2012.
- Yu, Y., Zhao, H., He, Z., and Chen, B. , “A Robust Band-Dependent Variable Step Size NSAF Algorithm Against Impulsive Noises,” Signal Processing 119:203-208, 2016.
- Ni, J. and Li, F. , “Variable Regularisation Parameter Sign Subband Adaptive Filter,” Electronics Letters 46(24):1605-1607, 2010.
- Shin, J., Yoo, J., and Park, P. , “Variable Step-Size Sign Subband Adaptive Filter,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters 20(2):173-176, 2013.
- Yoo, J., Shin, J., and Park, P. , “A Band-Dependent Variable Step-Size Sign Subband Adaptive Filter,” Signal Processing 104:407-411, 2014.
- Ni, J., Chen, X., and Yang, J. , “Two Variants of the Sign Subband Adaptive Filter with Improved Convergence Rate,” Signal Processing 96:325-331, 2014.
- Yu, Y., Zhao, H., Chen, B., and He, Z. , “Two Improved Normalized Subband Adaptive Filter Algorithms with Good Robustness against Impulsive Interferences,” Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing 35(12):4607-4619, 2016.
- Wen, P., Zhang, S., and Zhang, J. , “A Novel Subband Adaptive Filter Algorithm against Impulsive Noise and its Performance Analysis,” Signal Processing 127:282-287, 2016.
- Kim, J., Kim, J., Jeon, J.H., and Nam, S.W. , “Delayless Individual-Weighting-Factors Sign Subband Adaptive Filter with Band-Dependent Variable Step-Sizes,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing 25(7):1526-1534, 2017.
- Lee, K., Gan, W., and Kuo, S.M. , Subband Adaptive Filtering: Theory and Implementation (John Wiley & Sons, 2009).
- Huo, J., Nordholm, S. and Zang, Z. , “New Weight Transform Schemes for Delayless Subband Adaptive Filtering,” in GLOBECOM01, IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Cat. No. 01CH37270, 197-201, doi:10.1109/glocom.2001.965106.
- Kuo, S.M. and Morgan, D.R. , Active Noise Control Systems: Algorithms and DSP Implementations (John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1995).
- Kim, J.H., Chang, J., and Nam, S.W. , “Sign Subband Adaptive Filter with ℓ1-Norm Minimisation-Based Variable Step-Size,” Electronics Letters 49(21):1325-1326, 2013.